The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 12, 2013, 03:09 PM   #26
ChuckS

If I'm in or near the home then I follow globemaster3's plan:
Quote:
Originally Posted by globemaster3
New plan for my family: arm yourself, dial 911, give quick description to the 911 operator, set the phone down, dial any of a couple close friends on the cell phone who can be there in minutes (of the single-digit variety), respond to threat, keep 911 advised if possible.
If I'm in the fields or woodlot then I'll use my cell to call my spouse, brother or Dad, then 911. It is doubtful LEO would know where to find/help me when I'm afield.

Obviously I'm rural...usually the neighbor or family is the quicker response than either LEO or paramedic.

I've had to use CPR, bandage someone stepped on by a full shod draft horse, shoot a rabid fox, shoot a feral dog, and use the Stihl to clear the roadway of a 100+ year-old maple tree. You just have to be prepared and willing to help at a moments notice around our bend in the crick.
Old March 12, 2013, 03:24 PM   #27
justplainpossum

My order is:

1) Neighbors
2) 911
3) friends

I live in the country. We're served by the sheriff's department.

I was vague, I mean if there was a non-medical, potentially dangerous situation occurring at your home.

An example -- late one night I was home alone (and just finished watching a murder mystery, great timing), and I heard a man out front yelling "Hey! Hey! HEY!" I put on the alarm, locked the door and opened the window. I asked him what he wanted. I mean, I'm on a ranch, surrounded by ranches, and he drives all the way onto my place? He then asked if he could park here. Getting weirder. I told him to go ahead, and then I called two of my neighbors (one of whom was wondering who was this person going down the road so late). They both loaded up and came by. I got my dog and followed him (mostly because I thought he was drunk, and if he went the wrong way he'd probably get eaten by pigs.) Turns out he was drunk, and had no idea where he was. My neighbors called his wife for him, and then I called the sheriff (not 911) just to report the incident so there would be a record (I didn't mention he was drunk.) There have been other times I called 911, and either a deputy came by an hour later, or (in the case where I reported that someone was firing a gun in the woods on my place, and I didn't know who it was), they never bothered to show up.

I stick with my neighbors.

Last edited by justplainpossum; March 12, 2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old March 12, 2013, 04:28 PM   #28
leprechaun50

I'd yell for the wife to pull her gun, then call 911. Live out in the country. besides she's a better shot than I am.
Old March 12, 2013, 06:16 PM   #29
MLeake

For trouble where a police response seems like a good idea, it would probably go something like this:

1) Obtain firearm (could be handgun and/or AR15, depending on where I am when threat is noticed); have wife obtain firearm and her phone (could be handgun and/or 870 12ga, depending).

2) Have wife call 911 while I take position near top landing of stairs, to ensure nobody comes up.

For other types of trouble, call 911 and let them sort it out, if situation seems to warrant general emergency response.

Of course, we are not likely to have police response type problems. It's a nice area; neighbors all have a pretty good idea of who the other neighbors are; and we have very loud, reasonably large dogs in the house.

And everybody in our neighborhood hunts and/or shoots recreationally, often.
Old March 12, 2013, 07:19 PM   #30
thallub

Most home invasions happen very quickly. Do not become obsessed with calling 911. It can get you killed.

i've been through two iterations of home invasions. Both took place before there was a 911 system. In the first home invasion i heard the door kicked in followed immediately by one gunshot. That gunshot was my wife killing the first home invader in the door. The second home invader was shot by me.

As for me: If its a home invasion someone else can call 911; if anyone else is at home.
Old March 12, 2013, 08:49 PM   #31
Onward Allusion

Ya know, I just quizzed my wife...

Me - "Someone's trying to break into the house, whatdayado?"
Wife - "Get armed, then grab the phone to dial 911."

I'd trained her well...

BTW, this is the same advice that several police officers gave during one lecture. Get armed, take care of business if you have to, then call 911. If you can, call 911 after you get armed.

The thing is, you may not have a chance to get armed if you run for the phone and dial 911 first. Seconds, guys...seconds. That's why I carry at home, and no - I'm not paranoid, because there is scum out there wanting my stuff and do harm to my family.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Old March 12, 2013, 09:12 PM   #32
22-rimfire

Need help? Call your lawyer.

Depends on the kind of help you need obviously. Life endangering help, yes call police or an ambulance and then try to deal with it until they arrive.
Old March 12, 2013, 09:53 PM   #33
bbqbob51

Assuming "trouble" is a home invasion some kind of physical threat, I would:
Be dialing 911 as I retrieve my firearm. You want to get help coming ASAP and if you do need to do anything drastic to defend yourself the legal system will appreciate you getting law enforcement involved early on.
Old March 13, 2013, 12:53 AM   #34
Jeremiah/Az

I live alone in a very rural area. Sheriff is hours away, 2 days one time when I reported a stolen car, not priority I guess. Always have a gun on me. If I can't handle it, I'm in big trouble.
Old March 13, 2013, 09:55 AM   #35
SauerGrapes

I live in a dense suburb of Philly. Our police are pretty darn quick and depending on the call, they'll show up in force.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old March 13, 2013, 12:31 PM   #36
dajowi

Some 25 years ago I lived in a trailer park next to a meth freak. He actually carried a pistol on his hip around the park. He was a dirt bag who had friends that would inject drugs and then throw the used syringes on my roof. He was always in trouble with the police but he continued to live there. It was like he could do no wrong.

One Sunday afternoon I heard what I thought was fireworks. It only took a second for me to realize that what I was hearing was the reports from a shotgun. His girlfriend's car was parked next to my living room window. There was barely three inches between her car and my house. He was shooting the car up. Tires, windows, lights, everything. I retrieved my .45 and called 911. The operator said that police were responding. I told the operator that if he pointed that shotgun in my direction I was going to empty the magazine in his direction. Surprisingly, she didn't tell me not to do that. As it was I didn't have to. The cops showed up and he surrendered without a fight.