The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 12, 2013, 12:59 AM   #1
MDS

XS scout rail question

I hate to be a pest these days,but I want to get this right. I will be getting a Guide gun and I'm looking ahead to every possible need. For most of my shooting I'll use a ghost ring. Now I know that I will want a scope from time to time. I'm thinking a scout type scope set up using the XS scout rail. This is the thing. I think (just my opinion) that leaving a rail like that takes from the clean classic look of the gun. So can I mount it,then when I don't want it remove and just leave the dovetail block I place of the front sight? on the website video they use red lock tite.
Old March 12, 2013, 11:35 AM   #2
MasterSergeantA

Just my opinion, but I have one of the XS rails on my guide gun and I don't think it detracts AT ALL from the look. But who cares what I think?
Old March 13, 2013, 07:52 AM   #3
PetahW

AFAIK, the XS rail's forward end is anchored in the rear sight dovetail, not the front, and I suppose you could attach it sans Loc-Tite for easy removal -

but -

The Loc-Tite's used for a reason - recoil.

Keep in mind the Guide Gun's chambers in .45-70, and that a 300-400 + gr boolit's no slouch, when it comes to the jarring vibrations the loosen scopes & mounts tuit' suite - to the point of losing zero very rapidly.

FWIW - there's lotsa folks who suppose this/that, before they ever own/use something, and overthink it.

Chances are, once the XS rail's mounted, you'll either remove it permanently, or always use it - either with a Scout scope, or in conjunction with the XS peep that mounts on the rear end of the rail.

In my case, I liked the Scout scope so much, that I removed the iron sights from my Marlin entirely - and haven't had an equipment issue in the 6+ years I've been hunting the combo like that. (Top rifle, below)

In your case, the longer XS rail can be installed (It extends back past the rear scope mount holes), with both a Scout scope AND the XS rail ghost ring peep sight mounted on it - that way, only the scope would needs be QD'd if/when the use of the peep's desired.

Last edited by PetahW; March 13, 2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old March 13, 2013, 08:38 AM   #4
SR420

Try it, you'll like it.