The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 12, 2013, 12:28 AM   #1
NTXShooter

Monarch Ammo 223

Don't know if anyone has had this problem or not with the monarch brand ammunition. Was at the range today with a friend, and he was shooting the monarch brand ammo in his Savage 25 Varminter. It is 223, and looks to be loaded quite hot. The primers are semi flattened, and there is also some cratering around the firing pin impact area. Looks to be 15 out of 20 rounds with this problem. Has anyone else had any problems with the monarch? I also shot some of these rounds through my bolt gun, and experienced the same results. All of my hand loaded ammo was perfect, so I know its not a weapon problem.

Thanks for all the help

Chrsi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mon1.JPG (131.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg mon2.JPG (148.7 KB, 29 views)
Old March 12, 2013, 12:42 AM   #2
chris in va

I did a bit of Google-fu.

It's made by Privi Partizan. Someone on another board ran it through his chrono and got 3200fps, pretty hot.

That's all I have.
Old March 12, 2013, 12:46 AM   #3
NTXShooter

I knew it was made by PP. I think I am going to sacrifice a box of 20 and see how close the powder charges are to each other....
Old March 12, 2013, 01:00 AM   #4
swcc22

Re: Monarch Ammo 223

Back before all of this I would put 500 rounds out my bushmaster every sunday.

So chewing up that much I bought the monarch steel cased .223 at 4.99 a box.

My bushmaster eats anything I feed it so I haven't had a prob with them, but I have never used the brass I load my own brass.
Old March 12, 2013, 03:13 AM   #5
Marco Califo

I don't think they look so bad

I don't think they look so bad. I have perforated primers with some loads. You may be on to something with the round to round powder compare. 3200 fps is standard 223 velocity. This IS a high pressure cartridge.
Old March 12, 2013, 09:36 AM   #6
precision_shooter

.223 is a relatively high pressure round, but unless PP is using really soft primers then they shouldn't be extruding into the firing pin channel in the bolt head like on the rounds pictured...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old March 12, 2013, 10:00 PM   #7
NTXShooter

Still think its not an overpressure situation?

I run a shop that inspects aircraft parts, and just for kicks I used our dye penetrant to see if I could find any cracks in the cases... Not sure yet if these are through wall, but they do have some depth to them. These are once fired brass, monarch (PPU) brand. Should have more info coming soon.. Also decided that I am going to sacrifice 20 rounds to measure powder charges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0431.jpg (71.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0433.JPG (151.9 KB, 19 views)
Old March 13, 2013, 11:39 AM   #8
precision_shooter

Sure seems to be something going on. Once fired brass shouldn't have stress fractures/cracks like that unless the brass is thin junk or an over pressure situation...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776