The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 1, 2013, 02:05 PM   #1
steelbird

FEG hi power question

I was passing by one of the local gun shops in my area, looked around inside, and there was an FEG Hi Power in decent shape, asking price $395. Everything looked good, functioned well, but the safety seemed loose. No where near the strong, positive lock on my RIA 1911. Is this normal, and can it be corrected? That loose safety turned me away from a gun I was otherwise seriously thinking about buying. I'd appreciate any input anyone might have here.
Old April 1, 2013, 02:16 PM   #2
mcb66

I've seen them from between $250-300 recently. Unless super nice this one is $100 to high in my area (SC).
Old April 1, 2013, 04:46 PM   #3
salvadore

yep, hi-power safeties are squishy.
Old April 1, 2013, 04:52 PM   #4
carguychris

Before shopping for an FEG, be aware that the company switched to S&W Model 39-style ramp-actuated barrel lockup on later pistols, but did not mark these pistols any differently. Read the following blog and pay close attention to the parts about the "footprint" frame.

http://feghp.blogspot.com/2010/02/de...-hi-power.html

The redesigned FEGs are reportedly decent guns in their own right, but they are NOT authentic Hi Power clones; they're more like Hi Power lookalikes.

[EDIT] Just realized the link did not work, and fixed it.

Last edited by carguychris; April 1, 2013 at 04:53 PM. Reason: link corrected
Old April 1, 2013, 07:24 PM   #5
steelbird

Thanks Salvadore - that's what I wanted to know. This model did have the "footprint" - I did do my homework on that part. I did not know about that squishy safety. Think I'll look more at the other guns on my current "wish list" - I don't like the safety being loose.
Old April 1, 2013, 09:18 PM   #6
BoogieMan

Are you a HP fan or a FEG fan. I like FEG but not the HP clone. I passed on a one in nice shape at my LGS. Was priced at $250 (this store runs high), a couple days later I jumped on a FEG PA63 for $209 (NIB). IMO if you want a BHP then save up a little while and buy one. FEG makes pretty good guns (as all Hungarian made products) but the BHP was not one of there prime examples.
Old April 1, 2013, 11:13 PM   #7
Bill DeShivs

I have a Browning and an FEG. Side by side, the guns are identical. Fit and finish on the FEG is every bit as nice as my BHP.
Old April 1, 2013, 11:49 PM   #8
Stringfellow

Quote:
Are you a HP fan or a FEG fan. I like FEG but not the HP clone. I passed on a one in nice shape at my LGS. Was priced at $250 (this store runs high), a couple days later I jumped on a FEG PA63 for $209 (NIB). IMO if you want a BHP then save up a little while and buy one. FEG makes pretty good guns (as all Hungarian made products) but the BHP was not one of there prime examples.
That statement is perhaps only 20% accurate, whereas from my experience, Bill DeShivs is 80%.

I have a FEG HiPower. It exceeded my expectations in every respect. But that is not to say it is perfect: its bluing is a bit uneven, and there are a few machining marks here and there. But I still pinch myself about how great of a shooter it is for the $250 I paid in 2011.

The only bad thing to be said about FEG Hi Powers is that they are inconsistent. Mine is a stellar bargain, but a bit rough around the edges. However, my dad has a new Browning and like 3 or 4 FEGs, and two of the FEGs are every bit as nice as the Browning.
Old April 2, 2013, 07:37 AM   #9
sarge83

If it is the PJK9HP Hi-Power clone I would offer $300-$320 out the door and see if he bites on that price. The PJK9HP is the true clone FEG version of the hi-power. I have one and the safety is as described squishy.

My local gun/pawn establishment has a PJK9HP in their case $330 price but could get for $300 or $310 probably. They also have an Argentine version as well for $340. But they have been there a while while all the other hi-capacity 9mms are long gone.
Old April 2, 2013, 05:51 PM   #10
Chesster

These guns are good shooters. The only HP clone I never really liked was the Indian Inglis copy. It was rough.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old April 3, 2013, 02:35 AM   #11

For that price, hold out for the version with a deep blue finish and a vent rib
Old April 3, 2013, 03:42 PM   #12
JayPee

Sarge, unfortunately the PJK 9HP was also manufactured with the Smith and Wesson style system of barrel/slide/frame interaction.

The only way to make sure a PJK 9HP has the Browning system is to look for the frame crossbar inside the frame above and slightly behind the trigger, or to look for its "footprint" on the right side of the frame, also above and slightly behind the trigger. At any rate, the legend "PJK 9HP" is no guarantee of getting a true BHP clone since Kassnar/KBI imported four mechanically different versions of the PJK 9HP.

You can find a lot of information on the FEG Hi Power and Hi Power style pistols at http://feghp.blogspot.com/2010/02/de...-hi-power.html . The author spent a lot of time evaluating these pistols near the end of the article.

Hope this helps.

JayPee

Last edited by JayPee; April 3, 2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old April 4, 2013, 10:28 AM   #13
MuzzleBlast

Location: Arkansas. Much better place since Bill and Hillary went home.
Love mine

For what it's worth, I bought a used PJK9HP in about 1997. The level of polish isn't very pretty, but the gun has been damn near flawless for thousands of rounds. It is still my IDPA piece.

Molwn labe!
Old April 4, 2013, 04:20 PM   #14
KevininPa

Yeah, don't look.......

.........or rather listen for a positive click while engaging or disengaging the safety on a Feg High Power. I have the second generation style with the extended safety and smaller slide stop. Shoots great. Just put in a Sprinco recoil buffer. Waiting for some free time and a warm day to try it out. Those two things don't always coincide for me.