The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 9, 2013, 10:26 PM   #1
steveNChunter

Colt woodsman rear sight

Got my Colt Woodsman out today to do a little plinking and realized quickly that something wasnt quite right. It was shooting a little high. It hadnt been dropped, adjusted or anything other than sit in the safe since the last time I shot it. So I got a screwdriver and attempted to adjust the sight back down but as soon as I began to turn it, it popped all the way up. I quickly realized my elevation screw was stripped, and possibly the hole as well. My Woodsman is a second series, 1949 "sport" model. It has the "Coltmaster" rear sight and I have recently learned they are notoriously hard to find. Just my luck.

I have looked around and realized that finding an original rear sight will be worse than a needle in a haystack, so I'm wondering if there is an aftermarket sight that will fit it?
If not I'm about to dive in the haystack

"I never said half the crap that people on the internet claim I said" - Abraham Lincoln
Old March 10, 2013, 08:28 AM   #2
steveNChunter

anybody have any knowledge on this???

"I never said half the crap that people on the internet claim I said" - Abraham Lincoln
Old March 10, 2013, 12:58 PM   #3
RickB

I broke the windage screw on the Coltmaster sight on my .22-45 Conversion unit. My dad sent it to Colt - this was over thirty years ago - and they returned it, saying they had no parts.
It stayed broken for a while, then I learned that a Woodsman expert lived in my area, who'd written a book, etc., . . . Colonel something (twenty years ago), I tracked him down at a local gun show, and he had a half-dozen windage screws in a little baggie. I don't know if the guy is even still with us, but there must be someone who's been hoarding Woodsman parts?
I'd try the Colt forum, or some of the specialty parts retailers; Jack First, or Frist? Boy, I'm on a roll with names, today.
EDIT: Bob Rayburn was the first guy, and the parts dealer is Jack First.
http://www.jackfirstgun.com/
Old March 10, 2013, 02:08 PM   #4
donato

Here's the search page for the Numrich Gun Parts Corp website. They maybe can help.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Search.htm?s=woodsman

After clicking the link, "select a category" and "continue search"

Last edited by donato; March 10, 2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old March 10, 2013, 03:51 PM   #5
Fishbed77

Any chance for drilling and tapping a new, larger screw?
Old March 10, 2013, 04:24 PM   #6
James K
Staff

Is that a click adjustable sight with the little detents all around the screw head or is the screw a plain screw? If the latter, tapping for a larger screw would probably work fine.

Jim
Old March 10, 2013, 07:46 PM   #7
steveNChunter

It's a click adjustable sight with the little detents all around the screw head...

I'm pretty sure I would have to find another screw just like it. I think the threads in the sight itself are still there enough to hold if the screw wasn't stripped, but I'm not sure of it. My guess is the screw will be just as hard to find as the whole sight.

Numrich gun parts has a stripped slide w/rear sight for $100 but I'm not sure its the Coltmaster style. There's no picture with it so I have to wonder if its the more common Accro sight that came on later Woodsman's. I guess I could swap out the whole slide but that would be a last resort.

Last edited by steveNChunter; March 10, 2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old March 11, 2013, 09:01 PM   #8
James K
Staff

I tried Google and all I came up with was folks trying to find those sights or parts for them, so at least you are not alone.

If you can remove the sight and check the dovetail, you might be able to find a replacement sight, but some of those Colt dovetails were odd-wad sizes, so that might not help without further work.

Jim
Old March 11, 2013, 09:31 PM   #9
steveNChunter

Yea I've already removed the sight. I'm going to borrow a micrometer to measure the dovetail and see if I can find an aftermarket that matches it.
Crossing my fingers...

Old March 12, 2013, 02:13 AM   #10
cheezhed

You might have someone tig weld up the stripped hole and tap it again if
you can determine the thread type or perhaps use J-B weld and see if this will
be strong enough to hold the screw.
Old March 12, 2013, 04:17 AM   #11
steveNChunter

Good ideas. I'm going to talk to a local gunsmith here soon and see what he can do with it if I dont find anything.

Old March 12, 2013, 10:10 AM   #12
donato

You may have already seen this; but, Numrich has a rear sight windage screw for the post war model if you think a replacement screw would help with your problem.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Search.h...oodsman&page=2

About 3/4 down the page.

Last edited by donato; March 12, 2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old March 12, 2013, 10:50 AM   #13
RickB

$100 for a slide with sight might not be a bad way to go. That is, if you get to drilling and tapping and spending, getting a spare sight in addition to getting the part that you need, might be a bargain.
Old March 12, 2013, 02:20 PM   #14
steveNChunter

donato- I need the elevation screw, but if I could find one that might be all I need

Rick B- I'm starting to think that very same thing

Old March 12, 2013, 05:46 PM   #15
donato

Sorry Steve. Guess I picked the windage screw thought up from when I read RickB's post