The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 9, 2013, 04:24 PM   #1
hbhobby

not bad for a junk rifle!

So the manchild is finally old enough for the big game draw this year. So I bought a Remington model 770 in .243 win for him to hunt with. I haved read that it is a "junk" rifle but I figured for the price what the heck. So I took it to the range and it shot really well. The picture shows 4 shots at 250 yards with a bench rest. 36 grains of h4350 and a 95 grain bullet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-03-08 18.16.13.jpg (126.3 KB, 212 views)
Old March 9, 2013, 04:43 PM   #2
ScottRiqui

How big are those grid squares?? Even if they're 3" by 3", that's still looks almost sub-MOA. Nice shooting!
Old March 9, 2013, 05:10 PM   #3
Microgunner

Great shooting.
I don't think the rifle's accuracy is in question but rather it's durability.
Old March 9, 2013, 05:13 PM   #4
dbgun

Congratulations. Vary nice shooting
Old March 9, 2013, 05:25 PM   #5
Dan Newberry

excellent... it ought to do the job... velocity will likely be around 2800 fps give or take... but plenty enough for hunting inside 300 yards.
Old March 9, 2013, 08:19 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Group size has not been the problem. Long-term durability and aesthetics have been the big gripes for the 770 and 710.

For a basic hunting rifle that's not used a lot, no problem.
Old March 10, 2013, 12:38 AM   #7
Jimro

In reality it isn't even durability so much as repairability. The barrel is press fitted in (same as the old Steyr SSG 69) which means you can't unscrew the barrel and screw on a new one like you can with a standard action.

Other than that, I have no problems with the engineering behind the 710/770 series rifles. If all you want is a hunting rifle, it will fit the bill nicely. Personally I'd go with a "Stevens 200" if they still make them or Savage Axis offering, simply because it gives me the easier barrel swap option later, but that is only a matter of preference.

Jimro

http://randomthoughtsandguns.blogspot.com/
Old March 10, 2013, 02:22 AM   #8
shootniron

It will probably be fine. I just hope you did not pay much for it. As the post above said, the Stevens 200 is a better deal at the same price. Savage>Remington.
Old March 10, 2013, 02:40 AM   #9
natman

Nobody knocks the accuracy of the 770. They just knock the shoddy workmanship, the crude fitting and the ugly stock. If a 770 doesn't set off your junk detector, it's time to get it recalibrated.

It would be one thing if the 770 were the only budget alternative, but there are several inexpensive guns (Marlin X7, Savage Axis, Ruger American, Weatherby Vanguard) that have similar prices, are just as accurate AND ARE FAR BETTER MADE.
Old March 10, 2013, 03:22 AM   #10
hbhobby

they are 1"squares and i got it real cheap for the boy to learn to hunt with. some day when he grows up i have plenty of hunting ri fels he can grow into.
Old March 10, 2013, 04:52 AM   #11
Sport45

Quote:
The picture shows 4 shots at 250 yards with a bench rest.
Afraid you'd pull the 5th shot and open the group, eh?

Nice shoot'n.
Old March 10, 2013, 08:00 AM   #12
PVL

It looks like it is doing the job to me.

That's what really counts.
Old March 10, 2013, 08:08 AM   #13
hooligan1

That's a nice group, looks like that .243 rifle loves the H4350!! What type of bullet was used?
Old March 10, 2013, 12:52 PM   #14
alex0535

Quote:
they are 1"squares and i got it real cheap for the boy to learn to hunt with. some day when he grows up i have plenty of hunting ri fels he can grow into.
less than 1" 4 shot group at 250 yards. Your rifle can do better than 1/2moa which is pretty exceptional for a budget rifle out of the box.

It will do its job, and it will probably handle doing its job for a long time but it is a rifle with a pretty finite lifetime. Shoot it and love it until destruction or wearing the barrel out, which will probably be effective "destruction" if a new barrel can not be installed.
Old March 10, 2013, 06:21 PM   #15
PVL

You'd have to be pretty hardcore to "wear out a barrel" on a hunting rifle. Most of them only end up firing a few rounds a year.

There's a lot more talk about wearing about barrels than there are barrels actually being worn out.

With ammunition prices being as they are, even the fun and target shooters would be hard-pressed to wear out a barrel. - Who could afford to?

Old March 10, 2013, 06:42 PM   #16
4V50 Gary
Staff

Remington still makes good barrels. It's the package that lacks any appeal to me. Still, bottom line is is the rifle affordable and will it harvest game when you need it to?
Old March 10, 2013, 07:07 PM   #17
PVL

Recently my son purchased a Ruger American in .308 Winchester. It's utilitarian-looking, but it shoots more than good enough for a hunting rifle.

The Remington in question sounds like its a good gun too.

My personal tastes are considerably more pricey than either one of those - but I'm not going to run down any gun that does what its supposed to, and does it well.
Old March 10, 2013, 07:23 PM   #18
Dan Newberry

I don't know how long the 770's will last... but I'd bet they'll last a lot longer than folks want to give them credit for...

The truth is, most hunting rifles will digest about 20 to 40 rounds per YEAR... for their whole life... likely, even less than that for many.

I think it's pretty amazing that the 770 can shoot this well, at its price point. Ruger Americans are doing the same; they're shooting lights out, on average...

I think Remington knew that no one would seriously rebarrel the 770, so there was no need in making it a "take apart" design... your son will probably end up giving it to his son one day, with around 300 rounds total down the tube... and it'll serve for another generation... ...and then some...

Dan
Old March 10, 2013, 10:43 PM   #19
Boomer58cal

I have a 770 in 7mm mag. It was a gift. I'm pleasantly surprised by mine. It's very accurate. I can make mickey mouse heads at 100 yrds so I can vouch for your target. I tested IMR 4350 from 57g to 65g with a 139/140g bullet. I've found the harder I push it the straighter it shoots. I've got about 300 rds through it and couldn't be happier. I've seen 770's for as low as $300 and for that you'll be hard pressed to replace a worn barrel on something else.
Old March 11, 2013, 12:03 PM   #20
L_Killkenny

Nice shooting, definitely out shoots me, glad you're happy with it.

Most of us have made what may be a mistake of upgrading and/or buying better guns. Once you use something "higher" quality it's just dang near impossible to go backwards. It applies for revolvers, triggers, finishes, etc. Even cars, trucks, houses, etc. That's where the 770 get's most of it's bad rap. No matter if something is good OR bad when it's at the bottom of the heap it sure seems bad no matter what. The gun world is littered with guns that work but have trouble comparing to the competition. Sorry to say, accurate or not, the 770 is the bottom of the heap. Is it bad? It hasn't taken much to have better so it's hard to answer objectively.