The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 10, 2013, 01:43 PM   #1
sunaj

Fast Draw (Part Two...)

Ok let me try this again-
Someone sent me a video I would like to share of a fast draw artist
(or so he claims), the beginning is a little slow but in the second half he demonstrates the fastest draw I have ever seen, with slow-motion,
anyways check it out and see if you think it is real or fake

http://www.wimp.com/fastestgunman/

sunaj
Old March 10, 2013, 01:56 PM   #2
robhof

robhof

Someone sent me that video about a year ago and yes he's that fast, modesty isn't his strong suit, but he does hold the Guines record.
Old March 10, 2013, 03:29 PM   #3
mcb66

Yeah he was that fast. He died just a while back and was still the best there has ever been right up until the end. Stan Lee did a feature about him a year or so ago on a show called Superhuman.
Old March 10, 2013, 07:21 PM   #4
buckhorn_cortez

Quote:
Someone sent me that video about a year ago and yes he's that fast, modesty isn't his strong suit, but he does hold the Guines record.
It's Bob Munden. Bob was one of the greatest quick draw, stunt shooters who ever lived. Modesty? Really? You're attempting to pass judgement on Bob Munden? What a joke...
Old March 10, 2013, 09:41 PM   #5
Wild-Bill

Bob Munden was good no doubt, and a bit "cocky".
Old March 10, 2013, 09:49 PM   #6
Sevens

C'mon now, all he said was that "modesty wasn't his strong suit." You've got an outrageously thin skin if you take issue with what he said and how eloquently he put it.

To see his point from another direction perhaps, bring Jerry Miculek in to the conversation. Both men are incredibly skilled with a revolver. Both men can lay claim to titles and successes. Both men can draw crowds and make anyone do a complete head-jerk doubletake.

Of the two men, which is a nice guy? Does either have a reputation for being an approachable, friendly, good guy?

Jerry Miculek absolutely has that reputation.

As a showman, his "attitude" is probably a solid part of his show, of the whole presentation. No problem, the guy comes as he is and he backs it all up with skill.

But I'd rather pick up range brass, clean guns or tip back a beer around a camp fire with Jerry Miculek, personally.
Old March 10, 2013, 09:52 PM   #7
teeroux

R.I.P. Bob.

I think he truly is the fastest gun that ever lived. I think it will be quite a while before someone comes around that is up to or above his level of speed or accuracy.

The man could shoot the fletching off of an arrow without damaging the arrow. He could also use a bullet to open a safety pin without damaging the pin.
Old March 10, 2013, 10:04 PM   #8
Dragline45

He certainly was fast. As far as his ego, well, he could back it up so that's all that really matters. Even in his old age he was fast as hell.
Old March 11, 2013, 02:10 AM   #9
SG29736

Bob Munden competed in fast draw when the shooter started the timer as he was drawing. When fast draw changed to the shooter reacting to a buzzer or light, he didn't compete much. After that he was primarily a demonstration shooter/showman. Jerry Miculek puts on some demonstrations but has won a huge percentage of the various action shooting matches that he competes in. Including winning 20 years in a row at the International Revolver Championship, along with USPSA revolver, IDPA, 3 gun, steel challenge. It's not even remotely close when it comes to comparing the two in competition success. Mark
Old March 11, 2013, 11:26 AM   #10
rclark

Tis real... Seen it live several times as he lived here in Butte. It wasn't just fast draw either that he was good at, but hip shooting, aerial shooting, and of course just plain accurate short and long distance pistol shooting. Most all with the good o' Single Action revolver.... Plus a good gunsmith. He'll be missed. Do a search on youtube for Bob Munden and there are a few other demonstrations out there. Plus an early video of his him and his wife shooting too in competition. Becky is an excellent fast draw shooter in her own right. He is one of the few that could back up his 'talk' with his 'walk' .

Bob Munden Website

BTW, I have a Ruger .45 Colt/.45 ACP flattop that has a trigger job on it by Bob's replacement Jeff Ault before Bob passed away. Did good work. Also had a barrel turned on a New Vaquero I just purchased a couple weeks ago. Now it is shooting to POA.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; March 11, 2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old March 11, 2013, 12:07 PM   #11
Wild-Bill

It was a joke Sevens... And I am not thin skinned. That comment was worst than the one I made.
How's this, He was very confident in his abilitys.
Old March 11, 2013, 01:13 PM   #12
Sevens

Wild-Bill, I was commenting on the post by buckhorn_cortez, in the post precending yours. Your post didn't even appear until I noticed that you had submitted it just before mine.

With regards to Bob Munden, I don't have a problem with his bravado or the gigundo-sized chip on his shoulder. He was a showman and that kind of thing is a large part of the show, and as was said-- he certainly backed it up.

I wouldn't have made any comment or post to the thread if not for the snarky remark made above mine. I just don't see the harm in pointing out that modesty wasn't on the menu in his display of skills.
Old March 11, 2013, 02:31 PM   #13
sunaj

From another thread I wasn't aware that a lot of people think fanning a single action is damaging to the gun, and suggest you have to have a gun custom made to withstand the ardor of fanning

sunaj
Old March 11, 2013, 02:55 PM   #14
L_Killkenny

Questioning BM as fake....wow, never seen that one.

And fanning is hard on a gun, any gun. You can do things via building and smithing to help but never alleviate the potential damage. Of coarse if you're a showman or comp shooter the damage or potential damage may be acceptable, especially if you're getting paid to win.

Sunaj, kinda betting you're not makin money as a showman or comp shooter, forget you ever heard the word "fanning".
Old March 11, 2013, 03:00 PM   #15
sunaj

Well excuse me,
I have never heard of him-shall I begin preperations for seppuku?
Video can be faked, frankly to anyone who doesn't recognize this pistolero one has good reason to suspect the video is a fake-IT'S JUST TOO DAMN FAST,
however it appears he is the real deal, utterly amazing, i didn't know a gun COULD be fired that fast, and I have been shootin' (for your information) all my life, still don't know it all yet,
we all have our areas of expertize

sunaj
Old March 11, 2013, 03:59 PM   #16
rclark

Quote:
still don't know it all yet,
Boy, I sure don't!.... With ya all the way on that one! In fact I never heard of this "Jerry Miculek" either until just a couple years ago.... And then it was only because someone passed a youtube video to me of him doing a fast reload of a DA revolver. I don't follow the shooting circuit at all and really could care less... I shoot my Single Actions at the club and in the field. I've read about Keith, Taffin, Mcgivern, Pearce, Munden, and a few others.... That is the 'extent' of my circle of 'who is who' . Unless you add Rogers, Autrie, Wayne, Cartwright, Eastwood, Stewart, Murphy, etc, and then writers such as Short, Lamour, Haycox, Gray, and others !
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old March 11, 2013, 04:16 PM   #17
Wild-Bill

Thank You Sevens for the follow up post to mine. I feel better. I have a weird sense of humor and sometimes its not taken that way. I try to be careful and not cross the line. As the mods say "carry on".