The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 23, 2013, 04:29 PM   #1
-Xero-

Winchester Mod. 70 Classic Stainless

My nephew got my 30-06 Spfd. Weatherby Vanguard, 3 - 9x Leupold 40 mm. He asked me, "Are you sure you want to do this?"

I got a deal on this rifle at a pawn shop having a sale, paid for it about what the scope is worth.

"Sure! This gives me an excuse to shop for a replacement!"

Criteria (used rack) was mostly a decent bolt gun, 30-06, Leupold scope. (Leupold is a local product, and I'm really brand loyal.)

ALMOST sprung for a bolt gun, Leupold scope in .375 H&H. (We're in Roosevelt Elk country, but I'm not a hunter.) I'm looking for a "hunting rifle" -- something I can sling over the shoulder, pack around out in the Central Oregon desert. Bolt action 30-06 w/ Leupold 3-9x fills the bill.

30-06 Spfd is "God's caliber." No matter where you go, if they sell ammo, they have 30-06 (current AWB hoarding excepted). I've been out in the total boonies, stop at a gas station looking for ammo, and generally the guy has a box of the stuff in his truck.

Besides, I have 1000's of .308 bullets, (several 30 cal. rifles), brass, dies, powder. Let's stick w/ a caliber I'm set up to reload.

Gotta be a bolt gun, gotta have a Leupold scope -- all sorts of stuff on the racks in .270, .243, .338 . . . "But I have dies and brass for 30-06!"

Finally found a Win. Mod. 70 "Classic Stainless" -- polymer stock, 3 - 9x 40mm Leupold, in mint condition. Priced at what it is worth.

Winchester Mod. 70 is "The Rifleman's Rifle." It's a gem, perfect for sling over the shoulder and stalking the woods or desert.

I'm a big fan of the scoped bolt gun. One other is the Rem. 700 PSS, in .308 Win. I keep looking at .300 Win. Mag.

Old March 23, 2013, 05:04 PM   #2
jmr40

You have good tastes. I have 3, a sporter and Featherweight in the same caliber and another in 300 WSM. Both of my 30-06's are in McMillan Edge stocks and keep 3 shots under 1/2". No photo of the 300 WSM.

I cannot imagine a better all prupose rifle.

Old March 23, 2013, 05:39 PM   #3
taylorce1

+1 for the 06 M70 Classic paired with a McMillan Edge!

I don't mind the Leupold 3-9, but I'd much rather have the 2.5-8X36 VX3.

Old March 25, 2013, 01:59 PM   #4
-Xero-

I can't keep up w/ the "VX" on the Leupold scopes. The 40mm 3 - 9x is pretty standard in these parts. (North Oregon Coast -- where most locals get their buck on their own property.) This scope is pretty new, original w/ the rifle, silver finish.

I thought about a McMillan for this setup. The factory stock is OK, nothing special, but no grave faults.

Some day this ammo hoarding thing is going to blow over and we'll all be able to head out and do some serious shooting with our collections!
Old March 25, 2013, 02:23 PM   #5
jmr40

While neither of the rifles in the photo's are wearing Leupold's they are also my go to scope. I picked up the Zeiss on the sporter used. It is a good scope and i'm not selling it. The Redfield on the FW is also a decent scope, but has been replaced since that photo was taken with a new production VX-2 in 3-9X40 with long range dots. I've got a few 2.5-8X36 scopes on other rifles. Good as well.

The older Leupolds were the Vari-X models and were listed with roman numerals I, II, or III.

Slightly newer scopes were the VX models, also with roman numerals I, II, or III.

The newest versions are also VX models, but with Arabiac numbers 1,2, or 3

I have some of both Vari-X-III and VX-III

All are good scopes and I'd still rather have one of the Older Vari-X scopes than most any other brand. But the new VX-1,2, or 3 models are a big step up. Especially after Leupold upgraded their entire lineup starting with 2012 scopes. My new VX-2 is a much clearer and better scope then a 5 year old VX-3 that I own. And it was $100 less expensive.