The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 1, 2001, 03:28 PM   #1
Dr45ACP

I have not been able to find Black Hills Ammo online. They have an online site but apparrently do not sell to consumers.

Cheaper than dirt doesnt sell it.

Has anyone been able to find an online seller for Black Hills???
Old January 1, 2001, 04:07 PM   #2
Jeff Thomas

Can't help you - I ran into the same problem.

Lots of positive reviews for it. But, when I tried to buy it, they gave me the names of a few dealers in AZ. I checked, the dealers said it had to be special ordered, and the price was unreasonable, IMHO. I dropped the idea.

Since then, I've heard their ammo is overrated. I don't know what to think, but they appear too hard to do business with.

Good luck. Regards from AZ
Old January 1, 2001, 05:03 PM   #3
glockten

What is it with Black Hills? Apparently they only sell to dealers, and they only sell by the case.

I've never even seen the stuff at gun shows, only read about it in gun magazines. Do gun writers have a special pipeline for this ammo? Does it really exist?

Old January 1, 2001, 05:48 PM   #4
NAD

I can't find the stuff either except a limited amount at a gun store that I refuse to do business with.

I tried contacting Black Hills through their web page e-mail address several times about a year ago regarding how to get their ammo and local dealers. I received no response.

It's funny how just about every gun rag writer seems to have a supply of Black Hills ammo available for the obligatory accuracy test of the gun they are promoting in their "article", and consider the ammo great stuff, but no one seems to be able to get much of it.
Old January 1, 2001, 06:33 PM   #5
J. Fielder

www.cabelas.com

Cabelas carries the rifle ammunition line. I know of no online dealer of the pistol ammo line. I have looked for it as well to no avail. Maybe another poster can help us all out. I'll send them an email, too. Maybe enough complaining will get us a good result.
Old January 1, 2001, 06:36 PM   #6
FireForged

http://www.DSARMS.COM They have all the Black Hills you need at "fair" prices. I have not ordered from them yet, but I plan to.
Old January 1, 2001, 08:30 PM   #7
Jeff Thomas

Maybe the more important question ....

... is whether this stuff is worth all the trouble.

Besides the gun rags, do we have any TFL members who think this is great ammo? Why?

Thanks. Regards from AZ
Old January 1, 2001, 09:08 PM   #8
Clayton Hufford

I've shot quite a bit of Black Hills ammo in .40 and .45 with good results. The ammo is fine, but not worth searching for, nor is it worth a penny more than Remington, Olin, or Blount. There are a lot of "manufacturers" out there that use components from the "big three" mentioned above, and ammo from them will cost just as much, or more if you can find it. I guess it's all fine and good, and it's there if you want it, but why would you spend more money and time to buy ammo that is, at best, identical to the box of Speer Gold Dot or whatever that's on the shelf of your local gunshop? Regards, Clayton Hufford
Old January 2, 2001, 01:23 PM   #9
Ledbetter

I'm with Clayton

Just too hard to find. Shot some once. No better than

http://www.georgia-arms.com

or

http://www.miwall.com

Regards.
Old January 2, 2001, 09:06 PM   #10
juliet charley

If you really want to e-order or mail order premium ammo, I recommend Proload at http://www.proload.com. They are very courteous, very profressional and load very good ammunition.