The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 7, 2013, 07:40 PM   #1
snowy

Will 5.56 ammo ever come down?

I have ammo on hand, but not enough to last more than 4-5 months. My question is should I buy now, I can get it for .80 a round. If the public gets used to paying .80 -1.00 a round, will supply and demand rules apply when more ammo is available?
Old March 7, 2013, 07:46 PM   #2
ScottRiqui

Prices may never go all the way back down to what they were before, but I seriously doubt that $.80-1.00 per round is going to be the "new normal".

I'd wait a couple of months and see how pricing availability is - prices are already started to head back down.
Old March 7, 2013, 07:47 PM   #3
the rifleer

It's coming down, don't buy it now. Its slowly but surely starting to become available. I've been contemplating buying it, but in all honesty its silly to pay that price. Ive been watching it over the last few weeks and most web sites have it appear for a few hours a day until people buy it and it sells out. The ammo is still in production. Just wait another month or two.

Please do not people one of those people that is paying $50 for a box of 500 rounds .22lr. It really is silly. The ammo is still in production and is still being sold.

This is just like every other gun scare the past few years.
Old March 7, 2013, 08:19 PM   #4
kdstang

My LGS is starting to flood in ARs and ammo. Its still going, but not nearly at the previous panic pace. They are still producing and I think a lot of credit cards are already maxed out.

There's no legislation that I know that is going to ban any ammo, especially .223, so I'd just wait a while.
Old March 7, 2013, 09:10 PM   #5
BigD_in_FL

Let everyone buy all the current ammo at these high prices. Once their credit cards get maxed out, and they stop buying and hoarding, prices will come down to a somewhat normal level for the rest of us
Old March 7, 2013, 09:29 PM   #6
eldermike

Also keep in mind that ammo manufacturers are running 24/7 adding people and stretching processes to limits trying to meet demand. Knowing manfacturing very well, I don't want any of this ammo.
Old March 7, 2013, 09:33 PM   #7
TMD

No different then 4 years ago when the holy one got elected the first time. Shelves were bare for a few months then slowly back to normal with an increase of about 10-15%. Give it a few months and the prices will come back down to where they were before people lost their flippin minds.
Old March 7, 2013, 09:39 PM   #8
iraiam

I wouldn't buy now, If I really want to shoot I buy range ammo which is remanufactured and a little pricey also but I'm not getting into my stash of ammo to shoot at the range.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old March 7, 2013, 09:41 PM   #9
TXAZ

Prices will drop

Its a simple supply and demand (exclusive of future ammo taxes).
If prices remain high the number of mfg's will increase. If "they" ban AR's demand will drop due to a smaller market segment.
The only scenario I see encouraging long term higher prices would be an unlikely government embargo due to WWIII, widespread insurrection or broad based demand exo US.
Old March 7, 2013, 10:02 PM   #10
the rifleer

http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle-...tion/223-556mm

Still high, but its the lowest ive seen it. Act fast, they have sold 20 of them in about 3 minutes.

Im not buying it

Edit- they sold ~33,000 rounds of ammo in about 35 minutes... that is impressive. Especially since 2000 rounds of that was at over $1 per shot.

Last edited by the rifleer; March 7, 2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old March 7, 2013, 10:32 PM   #11
Justice06RR

It will come down, you can bet on it. Stores like Walmart and your LGS will still sell them at the "normal" prices. My LGS sells them for $11/box for PMC 223 but with a 3box limit. As soon as supply catches up they will allow you to buy more.
Old March 7, 2013, 11:23 PM   #12
WLJ

"Will 5.56 ammo ever come down?"

Got to find some first.
Old March 8, 2013, 12:53 PM   #13
t45

Be patient. Gander Mountain still sells it for .50 a round. I bought a case for $499 a 1000 a month ago. .50 pr rd is high but that seems to be the lower limit right now. IF YOU CAN FIND ANY. I have faith it will come down a little after the crazyness stops.
Old March 8, 2013, 01:47 PM   #14
Skans

Agreed. Prices of 5.56 ammo will fall, just be patient. The world is not coming to an end, but people's budgets and storage places are finite. When all of the "preppers" figure out that they really do still need $$$ to get by in this world, prices will drop dramatically. That is, as long your politicians let individuals buy and sell ammo.
Old March 8, 2013, 09:33 PM   #15
JimDandy

Don't forget there are announced plans transferring back to the residents of certain countries we're supporting- as well as Sequester issues. We could probably see more mil surplus hitting the market as well.