The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 7, 2013, 04:50 PM   #26
The Great Mahoo

Has this happened to anyone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m&p45acp10+1 View Post
If in doubt reload anyway. Worst case you drop a live round on the ground to have to pick up.
Agreed.

I generally keep count of my rounds fired down-range, but sometimes one can lose track. I just dump and reload when I think it should be empty.

Occasionally, I have short-stroked a trigger when doing some speed shooting, causing the cylinder to advance but not fire. I just treat it as if it ha and reload on the 6th pull; I can always recover the rounder later.
Old March 8, 2013, 07:02 PM   #27
bedbugbilly

I ALWAYS count . . that's the first lesson I learned when I was taught how to shoot revolvers 50 + years ago. I was also taught that the muzzle always points "down range".

If in doubt - point down range and open the cylinder if it has a swing out - LOOK at the primers - we all know what a spent cartridge is supposed to look like. If it is a SA - point down range and open the loading gate - run the cylinder around by hand and LOOK at the primers . . .

Pointing at the ground and dry firing is an accident waiting to happen . . . if this is how people are now checking . . . I hope to @$#%% I'm never standing next to you.

Sorry if that sounds "hard" . . . but be SAFE.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 8, 2013, 07:11 PM   #28
Dragline45

Quote:
It's better to be concentrating on the sights and target more than counting shots.
Who says you cant do both. I always count my shots when shooting, and am still able to pull off 1" groups in rapid fire.
Old March 8, 2013, 08:56 PM   #29
Bob Wright

Dragline45:
Quote:
Who says you cant do both. I always count my shots when shooting, and am still able to pull off 1" groups in rapid fire.
I am impressed! I have fired exactly one less than 1" group in my life, a 5/8" group fired with my old S&W Model 625 using .45 ACP, and this quite a few years ago. Now my groups are close to 2 1/4" with my .45 Colt. Age does take its toll. And I'm shooting with my targets closer!

Bob Wright
Old March 10, 2013, 07:19 PM   #30
Dragline45

Quote:
I am impressed! I have fired exactly one less than 1" group in my life, a 5/8" group fired with my old S&W Model 625 using .45 ACP, and this quite a few years ago. Now my groups are close to 2 1/4" with my .45 Colt. Age does take its toll. And I'm shooting with my targets closer!
2 1/4" groups are nothing to scoff at, that's about what I normally shoot with most of my guns. In all fairness the 1" groups I shoot are only at about 20-25ft and have only been able to do this with my 22/45 with some Volquartsen upgrades. My carry gun is an SR9C, and although I shoot it well, I cant pull off 1" groups in rapid fire with it. Although being a close-medium range self defense gun, I really don't need to.
Old March 11, 2013, 03:03 PM   #31
Dondor

Count first.

If you do not feel comfortable firing until the "click," then open your cylinder.

When I am out just plinking, I count, click, open cylinder and visually inspect. Even do that with my 22.

Be thankful that your dry-fire into the ground didn't hit a foot, toe, or ricochet into something or someone else. Dry-fire into the ground is a ND IMO.
Old March 11, 2013, 11:58 PM   #32
Crazy88Fingers

Something to consider:

If you keep pulling the trigger until you hear a click, without counting, you may not recognize a hang fire or squib if/when it happens. Then, if you pull the trigger again, you may be in trouble.

Count.
Old March 12, 2013, 12:58 AM   #33
warningshot

A) Seek professional safety training. Repeat as many times as needed.

B) Carry extra Insurance.

C) If above sound unreasonable, locate and use only those bullets with erasers on them.

Last edited by warningshot; March 13, 2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old March 12, 2013, 05:57 AM   #34
giaquir

Aside from all the safety issues.
Firing a revolver at a target
and expecting a round to go off
but hearing just a click can say
volumes bout your technique.