The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 6, 2013, 02:04 AM   #1
MDS

.457 WW magnum

I have been looking around about lever guns. I decided on a Marlin 1895GS. I came across the Wild West guns and something bothers me about their custom caliber. The only place to get the 457 mag ammo is from them. At 70.00$ a box it's comparable to Garret, Corbon or what ever. But, What the heck would these suckers be after shipping from Alaska?
Old March 6, 2013, 05:11 AM   #2
roklok

I would advise sticking with the 45-70. Nothing wrong with wanting something different, but the 457 WWMag does nothing that a hot load in the 45-70 wont do, and the ammunition is easily found for the 45-70. I handload 400 grain bullets in my 45-70 1895 to 2060 FPS.

I think HSM does offer 457 ammunition though.

You may find this interesting reading:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ld-West-magnum
Old March 6, 2013, 06:34 AM   #3
Mobuck

Buying such an odd caliber is almost assurance of owning an orphan later.
Old March 6, 2013, 07:57 AM   #4
Chowder

Quote:
Buying such an odd caliber is almost assurance of owning an orphan later.
If I am remmebering correctly the last time I was at Wild West guns I was asking about the 457 WW magnum. I believe the marlins they make in this caliber can chamber both the custom ammo and the 45/70 so you are not just limited to the WW ammo. Weather or not you NEED the 457 is another question entirely. I can say my personal experience with the company, at least the alaska branch as they now have one opened in las vegas, was very positive.

When I got work done on my 1894 I dealt with Ken and he took very good care of me. I am sure if you give them a call they can answer more specific questions about the cartrage.

For Sale FightForTheConstitution.com

Last edited by Chowder; March 6, 2013 at 08:06 AM.
Old March 6, 2013, 12:20 PM   #5
kahrguy

A marlin in 444 can do what the 457ww can do with a bit better BC and still step up to 320 and 335 gr depending on needs. If more stopping power is needed get a big horn armory 50sw.

or a browning BLR in 450marlin or 325wsm both will aproch 4000 ftlbs.
Old March 6, 2013, 12:45 PM   #6
MDS

I have no intention of buying one. For what I would pay for one of their guns in that caliber, I could get a couple of guns. Just struck me odd that you would have to buy ammo there. I know it's not something to plink with, but a box shipped with hazmat or what ever would be around 5.00$ a round or so.
Old March 6, 2013, 01:42 PM   #7
Chowder

Quote:
I have no intention of buying one. For what I would pay for one of their guns in that caliber, I could get a couple of guns. Just struck me odd that you would have to buy ammo there. I know it's not something to plink with, but a box shipped with hazmat or what ever would be around 5.00$ a round or so.
Having any of there guns shipped out of Alaska would be a big pain even though they are nice guns. Of course we deal with it being a pain to get nice guns up here so we are used to it haha. If you already have a rifle they still do some nice custom work without getting ALL the bells and whistles.

I have been thinking about getting the full light weight treatment with carbon stocks made for my length of pull for a super light brush gun that I wouldn't worry about the wood. The parkerized finish looks pretty good too in a utilitarian way. I would probably buy a beat up 336 or 1894 to get it done though, Mine is still scratch free haha.

Old March 6, 2013, 08:57 PM   #8
907arcticcat

I have a .457 from WWG and love it! I added a kevlar stock, shortened and ported the barrel, hard chromed, plus the typical big loop lever, ghost ring sight etc. upgrades. Most people may not have a need for one, but it's a good fit for my adventures. I pack it remote fishing and when backing up for big bears. I have carried shotguns, a short barrel .375 Ruger and many handguns. It is as effective as the rifle, but much more handy. If you have ever followed a wounded Brown Bear into thick alders, you will understand. The .45-70 can do it all, but the .457 just does it with more authority!

I reload for mine using WWG brass and Alaska Bullet Works 405 gr. Kodiak Bonded Bullets...as good as they get IMO! I think Swift may offer this in the A Frame too! I believe Lee dies are still available and other manufacturers offer them on a custom basis!

Old March 7, 2013, 01:13 AM   #9
MDS

Man, that's a beautiful rifle. Don't you use 45-70 dies for the 457?
Old March 8, 2013, 11:23 AM   #10
wild willy

I watched their show for the first time the other day.They did a CZ .22 for a trapper I was not impressed.I hope they didn't charge much for what they did.
Old March 8, 2013, 02:26 PM   #11
Chowder

Quote:
I watched their show for the first time the other day.They did a CZ .22 for a trapper I was not impressed.I hope they didn't charge much for what they did.
They have a show? I have not had cable in years. But it seems like everyone in Alaska has a reality show now.

Old March 8, 2013, 06:35 PM   #12
DarcyPotter1

Way to go chowder

nice trigger job looks kind of like you are on your way to your own reality show lol good clip good work im impressed
Old March 8, 2013, 06:39 PM   #13
DarcyPotter1

love the .457 it is not about if we need them or not but the man who plays with the most toys in the end wins that is one bad rifle would love to have it and i bet it is good bear meds
Old March 8, 2013, 10:28 PM   #14
Chowder

Quote:
nice trigger job looks kind of like you are on your way to your own reality show lol good clip good work im impressed
Thanks! I still have a lot of work to do on that site but I am having fun with it. I am picking up a savage 110 tomorrow as a new project. As well as building my truck. I need cheaper hobbies haha.

Old March 9, 2013, 09:08 AM   #15
DarcyPotter1

naw just got to win the loto lol i build trucks as a hoby to just new to this cumputer this i have only started tapping on the keys for a few weeks and a t 51 pushing 52 im a slow starter when my son comes out next weekend i will get him to show me how to post pix then will put up some of my rifles and the 82 toyota i just finished it will be years before i could come close to the quality of the job you have done on your site again good job
Old March 28, 2013, 01:21 PM   #16
Barber2678

The 457WWM chamber is backwards compatible with 45-70 ammo. The 457WWM gives you the ability to increase velocity and energy while keeping pressure lower and not risking a catastrophic failure and trip to the ER.
Old March 30, 2013, 07:26 AM   #17
m&p45acp10+1

I have as of yet to fire any super hot loads out of my Marlin 1895. The Buffalo Bore Magnum ammo for it will drop any critter up cape buffalo. I will not knock the rifle or round of .457 WWM as I have not shot one, though if it were my money I would buy a stock Marlin, improve the trigger, add a fiber optic front sight, and a rear tang sight. Buy reloading dies, lots of brass, primers, and a couple of bullet molds. Maybe a lubrisizer for lubing bullets with hard lube, and placing gas checks.
Old April 2, 2013, 11:25 PM   #18
seant

I have a copilot 457 and it is a cannon. I heard corbon was going to start loading ammo for the 457.