The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 11, 2013, 11:14 PM   #51
alienbogey

<< . . . not gimmicks such as a vent rib on a revolver or a blue good enough for a Prince.>>

Those "gimmicks" work for me just fine:

Old March 12, 2013, 10:58 AM   #52
Colt .45

Colt, make it again please!!!!
Old March 12, 2013, 03:26 PM   #53
dgludwig

Quote:
Quote:
.....All else is frosting on the cake.

Frosting is the best part of the cake!
I agree Skans. A cake without icing is, well, like cookies without milk.
Old March 12, 2013, 05:07 PM   #54
Bob Wright

dgludwig said:
Quote:
I agree Skans. A cake without icing is, well, like cookies without milk.
Ah, but as I said, some prefer chocolate, some prefer coconut.

For those who don't care for chocolate, the best chocolate cake in the world won't appeal to him.

As I said, I loved my Python, but when it came down to the nitty-gritty, my Ruger Blackhawk is the one I turned to. You simply don't take a classic Packard to the mud hole.

Bob Wright
Old March 12, 2013, 05:47 PM   #55
dgludwig

Quote:
You simply don't take a classic Packard to the mud hole.

"Ask the man who owns one", Bob.
Old March 12, 2013, 08:18 PM   #56
Chesster

Analogy: The Python is a Mona Lisa while your _______________ is the portrait of Ben Franklin on a C note. Both of value, both a degree of artistry, the latter more practical in real life situations. You could spend old Mona at the grocery store for a bag of groceries but wouldn't get near its value, but, the Python would look better hanging in the living room.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old March 13, 2013, 10:49 AM   #57
pbcaster45

I got this Python (2004?) for $850 and it just had some very slight holster wear near the muzzle. Two weeks later I picked up another one (mint) for $750. I sold the second one to a nagging buddy for the same price and he still likes to bring it out when I visit (*$%!), I'll never get it back...

Old March 15, 2013, 08:05 PM   #58
bowfishn

My father has a 6" Blued Python that is 98-99% condition. It has a letter from Colt concerning the custom trigger work done by them. I saw one on GB the other day with the same work done to it the guy wanted $3500.00 for it, but from the pictures it was not in as good a condition. We compared it to my 6" stainless GP100 one afternoon and shot a few rounds from each with various loads. I liked shooting my GP100 better it handled all loads better in my opinion. The one thing I will say is it had the cleanest trigger of any revolver I have shot, and it was a work of art as far as finish goes. If I owned it it would be just for collecting, can't see shooting it loose and wearing it out. The GP is for that.
Old March 16, 2013, 07:42 PM   #59
magnum777

If you can afford it, get it.
Old March 19, 2013, 01:42 PM   #60
Picher

In the seventies, I had one that I used for police carry and for police combat. I liked the single-action, but the double-action is not as good as the S&W because it's a single-lever system and tends to get heavier through the pull. The Smith has a gear-effect that maintains nearly the same DA pull throughout and releases smoothly. The Python trigger tends to move rearward after the DA releases. I slicked mine up and it shot well, but best of all was the way it pointed for me. I could hit pretty well from the hip.

Since the introduction of the L-Frame S&W, it's no-contest as far as shooting goes. Unfortunately, Pythons are a collector's item, not as much a shooter's gun these days.

I have two K-Frame Model 19s that I even like to shoot better than I did my Python, but the L-Frame guns are better shooters that either.

BTW, I found my papers for the Python that was purchased about 1972 and I paid $275 for it. I wouldn't pay $900 for one today...but that's me.
Old March 20, 2013, 12:35 AM   #61
nstoolman1

I have a 1961 Blue 6" Python I paid $250 for it in 1972 and have never looked back. I had to replace the barrel soon after(Cracked receiver cone?) but it got sent to Colt for that. I love mine and it has never let me down.
Old March 20, 2013, 03:43 AM   #62
Sevens

It's never let me down.
Never.
NEVER!
Well, except that cracked forcing cone, that was a bummer. But NEVER, other than that!
Old March 20, 2013, 03:54 AM   #63
nstoolman1

I think one repair in 41 years is a pretty good record. It still goes bang when I pull the trigger. I am sorry if my post upset you.
Old March 20, 2013, 04:16 AM   #64
Sevens

Actually, I thought it was funny. Notice the smiley guy at the end of the post.

We call those emoticons, they are supposed to give all readers a hint that it's in jest.
Old March 20, 2013, 04:23 AM   #65
nstoolman1

I guess I missed the humour for the sarcasm.
Old March 21, 2013, 08:17 PM   #66
Busmann

I also think that Pythons are today more for collectors.

I am lucky to have this excellent piece of American history. Colt used to manufacture finest firearms, I think we cannot buy such quality today no more.

But for shooting I rather use my S&W model 686, which I actually like more. It just fits in my hands.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Python.JPG (168.5 KB, 30 views)
Old March 21, 2013, 09:00 PM   #67
superpelly

I just sold my Python last week for $1400 I paid 900.00 I just never shot it, it was just to nice!!!! I'm buying a Smith & Wesson 28-2 Tomorrow for 425.00. I'll buy one gun and still have over 900.00 left. I loved my Python, but the only thing I did with it, was fondle it once in a while
Old March 22, 2013, 07:06 PM   #68
Winchester_73

Smart move superpelly. Many people consider the S&W 28 to be one of their best 357s, and a bit of a under the radar model / underappreciated gun to boot. I know I sure like mine, a 28-2 from the 1970s.
Old March 22, 2013, 09:46 PM   #69
mrray13

I own two Pythons, a 1961 vintage 6" that has only seen the factory test fire and a 1974 vintage 4" that I carry on duty from time to time. I have also owned several different Smiths, still own a 642 and a 17-4, gave my son a 27-2. And none of the Smiths, IMHO, compare trigger, finish or look wise. The Royal Blue, both of my Pythons are, is simply the most beautiful finish I have ever seen on a gun. I would compare my 1992 Anaconda to all of my Smiths.

A friend of mine has an early 58 with a trigger job by someone I wish I could remember,and that thing is butter! But it took work to get it there. And I'm not saying Smith's triggers are bad, far better then every Ruger da I've owned, but nothing like a Python.

Last edited by mrray13; March 22, 2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old March 23, 2013, 06:27 AM   #70
pmeisel

I picked up my Python in 1988 for $325. (By way of comparison, my dad bought a brand new model 19 for $250 the year before).

I shoot both guns fairly regularly, and if I bought another Python I'd shoot it. But I wouldn't pay 4 digits. Shop until you find one you can afford to shoot, I say.....
Old March 25, 2013, 02:37 PM   #71
dgludwig

Quote:
Shop until you find one you can afford to shoot, I say.....
And I say, that's going to take a lot of shopping...
Old March 26, 2013, 06:22 PM   #72
saleen322

The Python is the gun to get if you collect revolvers. They have a great finish and look great in a display cabinet. The Python is not made anymore and very unlikely it ever will be. The Smith is the better gun to shoot. I have a pre-28 Highway Patrolman that is just great in double action. I also have a 27, a 625 and model 14--all are a joy to shoot. If I got a great deal on a Python, I would buy it but just because I think it is good to look at and it will hold its value. Good luck to you with whatever you decide.
Old April 4, 2013, 05:32 AM   #73
LED

As expected you got the mixed reviews that will leave you where you started - making your own decision. You won't go wrong either way. If you buy a Python and have remorse, you will resell it easily. It is money in the bank. I have bet mine on its lasting value. So far so good. Also: Sometimes you just git er done and see where the chips fall, or else the dream will keep nagging your soul. Unlike most S&W the Pythons weren't fired a lot by their owners, even at the times they were routinely carried by police officers.

You can punch targets just as accurately for a lot less. There is no rational reason to buy a Python. It is all between your ears.