The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 5, 2013, 11:38 AM   #1
Cyberbach

Will a Lee Factory crimp die 9mm work with 380 ACP

I've decided to purchase a Lee Factory Crimp die for my 9mm but was curious if I would be able to also use it for 380 ACP the way I use my 357 Mag dies to load 38 special. Just curious if there was a way to adjust the die to handle the shorter 380 case... anybody know?
Old March 5, 2013, 12:35 PM   #2
lee n. field

My understanding (I'm not where I can get to my load data) is that the two rounds have different tapers.

My guess is, you might be able to get it to sort of work, but you're best off getting the right thing.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; March 5, 2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old March 5, 2013, 12:44 PM   #3
kraigwy

Lee is correct.

The base of the 9mm is .391
The base of the 380 is .374

I'd just bit the bullet and get the Factory Crimp for both.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 5, 2013, 12:45 PM   #4
j357

Short answer is 'no'.

The search feature in the blue banner near the top of the page will help with the details.

Last edited by j357; March 5, 2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old March 5, 2013, 12:49 PM   #5
BrokenBottles

I couldn't find anything but Lee's website may be of some help.
http://leeprecision.net/support/inde...ty-and-general
Old March 5, 2013, 01:11 PM   #6
Cyberbach

I currently have a Lees 3 die set for 9mm and a RCBS 3 die set for 380 and after doing quite a bit of research have decided it best to put the taper crimp on my reloads. I would gladly purchase a factory crimp for both the 9mm and the 380 but finding them available to ship is damn near impossible. I guess I was hoping that finding one die would take care of both of my needs, not trying to save money as much as necessity dictates. When looking on eBay last week, someone had a Lee factory crimp die that stated it good for 9 x 19, 9 x 18 and 38 super.... thought it was too good to be true. Thanks all.... oh, and if anyone has an extra die they want to sell, PM me.
Old March 5, 2013, 03:29 PM   #7
rlc323

Your RCBS .380 die should crimp the case fine. Just follow the directions to set it. I use a factory cartridge to set the crimp adjustment on mine and have had no loose bullet issues or feed issues. It takes a bit more time to get both adjustments going at the same time, but the directions are good if you follow them to the letter.

Then again, if you are not comfortable seating and crimping on the same stroke you can remove the RCBS seater after you have your bullets seated. Then set the die to crimp in a separate step and have at them.

Your crimp just takes the bell off the case edge, no more is needed.
Old March 5, 2013, 06:59 PM   #8
leadchucker

The bullet diameter is the same on a 9mm Luger as it is on a 380. The mouth of the 9mm case is the same dimensions as a 380. It's the base of the 9mm Luger that is larger.

I'm betting that the 9mm FCD would knock the flare right off of a 380 round. Get out your caliper and see on some inert rounds. I'm going to the next time I have some spare time in my cave.
Old March 5, 2013, 07:14 PM   #9
Cyberbach

I'll find out shortly, I found a Lee FCD on eBay and the bid was at like 16.00 + 5.00 shipping so I jumped on it, had a day and a half left on the auction. Then when I got to work I checked again and I had been outbid by .50 so I re-bid, only to be outbid by another .50..... now I'm gett'n frustrated so I threw out a 25.00 max bid. Right after I did I refreshed the page and someone had 3 brand new Lee FCD's for 20.38 and 3.84 shipping, Buy it Now.... so I did. Figured the guy that was bidding against me on the other one would continue to outbid me anyway so now I'll get my die. The problem is, no one has bid against me and I'm winning at 21.00 plus 5 shipping. I'll probably end up with 2 dies for about 54 bucks combined... oh well at least my 9's will be loaded correctly.
Old March 5, 2013, 07:58 PM   #10
ZOOM2X

Man, don't you just hate it when that happens! Almost as bad as when I take the cheese grater and scrape the side of my nose. Yeah, and then when you pour alcohol on it!

For those of you who don't get the humor Google "Saturday Night Live -- don't you just hate it when that happens" Billy Crystal is a fabulous comedian.

NRA Benefactor
Old March 5, 2013, 08:39 PM   #11
Cyberbach

... or you decide to see what cinnamon oil smells like and accidentally snort a half ounce up your nostril.... yea..... like that.
Old March 5, 2013, 08:43 PM   #12
TMD

Lee Factory Crimp Die = A solution looking for a problem.
Old March 5, 2013, 09:47 PM   #13
Cyberbach

Yea. I've read all the banter on the web regarding crimp or no crimp.... that's why I'm drop'n the cash to decide for myself.

Gunna run up a few batches and grab some sand bags and see how she prints.
Old March 5, 2013, 10:23 PM   #14
dacaur

A 9mm fcd might or might not take the flare out of a .380 auto, but imo, the more important part of a FCD is the post sizing, which wont happen using a 9mm FCD....
Old March 5, 2013, 11:00 PM   #15
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Lee Factory Crimp Die = A solution looking for a problem.
And....where was the OP asking about this?

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old March 5, 2013, 11:10 PM   #16
Sport45

The crimp ring in the 9mm FCD may not adjust down far enough to even touch the mouth of a .380 case.

I have several FCD's but not for 9mm or I'd check it out for you.
Old March 6, 2013, 10:29 AM   #17
Cyberbach

I just checked the eBay auction and I was finally out bid on the extra FCD... it's up to 26.00 plus 5 shipping so it looks like I got the ONE I wanted and won't have to worry bout trying to sell the extra. Sometimes things just work... gotta have faith.