The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 11, 2013, 11:13 AM   #26
kac624

Hello, I have a follow-up question about a similar situation. I am new to rifles, and about a month ago I bought my first 22lr that came with a scope. I planned on spending the first few weeks shooting just with the iron sights then mounting the scope once I felt I had gotten the fundamentals down. Unfortunately, I didn't realize until after buying the gun that it does not have sights. So, I mounted the scope and have been learning with that.

For those that recommended learning with iron sights, do you think it is so important that I should exchange the rifle or have iron sights installed? Or should I just continue with the scope? My hopes are to eventually hunt small game, so I think I'll need to learn how to use a scope in the future. Thoughts?
Old March 11, 2013, 11:32 AM   #27
jimbob86

Why learn to use iron sights?

Knoledge is a good thing.

If somebody hands you a rifle without a scope, can you make hits with it?

It's good to have a plan B.

If you look through your scope on a hunt, and the cross hairs don't cross .... or you can't keep it zeroed ..... what then?

http://nefirearm.com/
Old March 11, 2013, 05:30 PM   #28
Metal god

Kac624

No keep the rifle and have fun . Do you shoot pistols and or hand guns ? The point of learning with irons is to understand how to use them and get a proper sight picture . If you shoot hand guns although not the same they are the same idea . If you know how to line up pistol sights . You can probable pick up a rifle with iron sights and hit the target . If you have never shot a firearm before you should learn to use iron sights cus
Quote:
Knowledge is a good thing.

If somebody hands you a rifle without a scope, can you make hits with it?

If you look through your scope on a hunt, and the cross hairs don't cross .... or you can't keep it zeroed ..... what then?

It's not everybody that has the problem
Old March 12, 2013, 09:34 AM   #29
L_Killkenny

Quote:

Iron sights are a pretty crappy Plan B. Judging by the lack of factory iron sights I'm not the only one thinkin that way.
Old March 14, 2013, 09:01 AM   #30
Ronbert

Iron sights as Plan B is nothing new.

My grandfather's Savage 99 deer rifle has a scope mount designed with hinges so that you can fold the scope over out of the way and use the flip-up Marble's peep sight instead. Probably an idea from a time when scopes weren't very reliable.

(Makes cleaning the lever action rifle a bit easier too :-)