The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 6, 2013, 08:12 PM   #1
gwhunran

Beeman springer air rifle question?

Don't know if this is the place to ask but I'm sure someone will let me know if not
I have a Beeman R-9 in .20 cal that I am very pleased with. But lately I've been considering getting a .22 Beeman too. My question is why is a Beeman R1 a couple hundred more than an R9 in .22? And in moments of clarity, I wonder if a .22 Beeman will give me something I don't have now with the .20/5mm?
Old March 7, 2013, 12:47 AM   #2
big al hunter

While I am not certain what the differences are between models, I can suggest looking at the specs on there website, if they have one. Probably more fps would be my guess. I looked at Beeman 20 years ago, if I had the money then I would have got the R1.

As to caliber, the advantages for 22 would be heavier pellets for better penetration while hunting. And larger frontal area for more shock and destructive force for hunting. For paper or tin can shootin, can't think of any reasons to have one over the other.
Old March 7, 2013, 11:38 AM   #3
PetahW

IIRC, the R1 is a deluxe model, with more care in fitting, better stock, etc.

Beeman's is a quality company - they don't charge more money just for the heck of it, or to gouge.

I don't see any particular advantage of a .22 pellgun over a .20, unless someone was desireous of the bit more energy to fell a larger animal, or animals the .20 wasn't making DRT.

Old March 7, 2013, 12:03 PM   #4
vba

The R1 is a larger heavier rifle. The end cap is threaded, so taking it apart is somewhat easier, though I've re-springed my R9 with no problems. I like the R9 better though it has somewhat less power, it's plenty for me. I'd rather give up some weight for the lighter easier to handle R9.

See:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/

and, note Weihrauch makes German Beeman airguns

http://weihrauchowners.freeforums.or...index-f35.html
Old March 7, 2013, 08:23 PM   #5
gwhunran

I had been looking at stat sheets and the power levels were the same for the R1 and R9. I guess I will wait a while. I have dropped crows with the .20 R9 and looking at the pellet weight list for the two, there is much overlap. Yes, many of the .22s are heaver but the Beeman Crow Magnum in .20 is heavier than most .22 premium pellets.
The posters that suggested better build for the R1 are probably right.