The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 1, 2013, 08:35 PM   #1
Lakeview116

My first rifle

After months of reading, and putting several hundred rounds thru my husband's AR15, I bought my first rifle today. Settled on a Ruger 10/22 carbine. I wanted something to learn marksmanship, and would be cheap to shoot.
Picked it up today and put 50 rounds through. Learned I probably should have brought it home and cleaned it first. But, I was so eager to try it, so i went from the sales counter to the range.
It failed to eject three casings. 3 of 50? Is this just symptomatic of it being out of the box? I'm cleaning it now, but it will be a week before I can take it back out.
Anyone know where I can order more mags? I especially want a 25 (reloading after 10 is a PITA. Also I hear they make a clear mag so you have visual reference of your remaining round?

Thanks for your help. Reading the posts here have been infinitely helpful.
Old March 1, 2013, 09:00 PM   #2
Puddle

What kind of ammunition were you using? That could be the problem. I have had problems with FTEs in my 10/22 using Remingon Thunderbolt.

Those magazines you are referring to are great... If you can find them these days.
Old March 1, 2013, 09:05 PM   #3
rlhass

3 out of 50 is not bad. A good cleaning will help. I always have trouble with federal ammo jamming in my 10/22. CCI and Remingtons seem to work the best for me. 10/22 is a great gun... fun to shoot and inexpensive.. have fun shooting.
Old March 1, 2013, 09:33 PM   #4
Lakeview116

Ammo was Federal automatch.

Where should I even look to get on a back order list for mags?
Old March 1, 2013, 09:47 PM   #5
Chowder

Congrats on your first rifle! I have only owned one semi auto 22 (marlin 60) and it did not like certain ammo. I believe this is common with semi auto rimfires. My favorite .22 that has worked great in everything I have ever owned was federal champion... if you can find it these days.

Reading this makes me miss having a semi auto .22... might have to go shopping this weekend haha.
Old March 2, 2013, 12:10 AM   #6
SDF880

Congrats on your 10/22! Great rifle! I have 3 and they eat everything I feed them. Out of the the 3 and 600+ rounds I had one FTF out of the BX-25 mag.
Hang in there with the mags I'm sure they will surface again after the craziness dies down. Enjoy your rifle!

SDF880
Old March 2, 2013, 07:11 PM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Welcome to the day care center! Any number can play!

You might try using Google for "magazines + rifles" and find several possible sources.

Try various brands and types of .22 ammo to find what's most reliable and also does best for tight groups.

For instance, I had a 10/22 which functioned reliably with anything. It was not until I tried CCI QuikShok that I got groups instead of patterns.
Old March 2, 2013, 08:10 PM   #8
marine6680

After you fire a few more boxes of ammo through, the gun will probably smooth up and extract more reliably.

The 10/22 is a great rifle, but it is a little roughly made internally in places. This can cause the rifle to be a little rough right out of the box, leading to a few teething issues.

I had issues with the bolt not closing fully sometimes... caused by drag of the bolt on the magazine. A little wear on the magazine from firing, and the problem went away. The tolerances matched up just right to cause the magazine to ride high enough to rub on the bolt slightly.