The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 6, 2013, 06:16 PM   #26
Garycw

Pics of the Garand

I got the bayonet, just need the rifle now

Sent from iPhone
Old March 6, 2013, 06:21 PM   #27
60DRB

Nice rifle. I put off getting a Garand for many years and finally got a "correct" H&R a few years ago. My favorite rifle to shoot ever since! They just keep going up in price, so those who want one better jump while they are available. A whole bunch of high quality Greek returns came back to CMP this past year...
Old March 7, 2013, 02:29 PM   #28
Superhornet

Nice rifle---But, I am somewhat confused on the M1 Rifles that are sold by CMP as Special in .308 Winchester...Can these weapons in .308 use 7.62 Nato or are they regimented strictly to hand loading??? CMP does sell ammo (Atomic) in .308 which appears to be loaded to Service Load Match specs. Loaded with 41 grains of Varget, Mil LC cases and Nosler 168 gr HP.
Old March 8, 2013, 01:40 AM   #29
alex0535

This thread made me dig out the old Garand and give it a good cleaning. When we got it, it needed cleaning but never got it. Sat around for years, not being shot.

Field stripped, cleaned parts for an hour, and it looks substantially better now. Went from being so dirty I didn't want anything to do with it to considering taking it out to shoot it, but it cleaned up really nicely. Even have some ammo to shoot out of it.

The wood isn't as pretty as the examples in this thread, looks like it was used in a war, but the metal looks good.
Old March 8, 2013, 08:30 AM   #30
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Nice rifle---But, I am somewhat confused on the M1 Rifles that are sold by CMP as Special in .308 Winchester...Can these weapons in .308 use 7.62 Nato or are they regimented strictly to hand loading??? CMP does sell ammo (Atomic) in .308 which appears to be loaded to Service Load Match specs. Loaded with 41 grains of Varget, Mil LC cases and Nosler 168 gr HP.
Yes, they are made to shoot 7.62 NATO ammo, like the M1A/M14.