The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 1, 2013, 03:00 PM   #1
RuLEoF2

Old Hydra-Shoks: good or bad?

I just purchased a couple hundred 9mm LE grade Hydra-Shok cartridges from a friend, who got them from a recently retired Police officer.

When my friend got them, they were loose in a small .223 military ammo can and were a little scratched up as a result, no big deal. However, in addition to the light ware, they were slightly tarnished and very dirty with a sticky residue. Felt a bit like a very thin layer of cosmoline or something similar.

Anyway, I cleaned them using paper towels dampened with industrial grade isopropyl alcohol and a dry cloth. While cleaning and inspecting them, I noticed that about a dozen of them had some separation between the jacket and the core, right at the point (see photo). Should I be concerned about these or is this just a minor anomaly in the construction?

Also, a few of them had a spot of corrosion on the bullet, right at the rim of the casing. Nothing on the primer though. They cleaned-up OK but should I get rid of them anyway?

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0612 (Large).jpg (69.0 KB, 181 views)

Last edited by RuLEoF2; March 1, 2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old March 1, 2013, 05:10 PM   #2
KyJim

I don't see anything to be too concerned about safety-wise. I would probably use these as range ammo given the condition you described (cosmoline or whatever on them, etc).
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old March 2, 2013, 10:02 AM   #3
BuckRub

They're fine. Probably the best bullets out there. I have tons and what a carry for SD rounds. Shot lots of things with them over the years. Do an amazing job on everything. Keep them and carry them but first shoot 20-30 to make sure they cycle perfectly in your gun. Use ball ammo for practice.
Old March 2, 2013, 11:21 AM   #4
Kreyzhorse

They are fine. Shoot some to make sure but I can't imagine you would have any issues with them.
Old March 3, 2013, 04:12 AM   #5
chris in va

They're fine, with one caveat. Every HydraShok I've used for carry has experienced severe bullet setback after a couple chamberings. Just something to watch for.
Old March 3, 2013, 09:57 AM   #6
BuckRub

No bullet set back here. I usually pull my mag and one in chamer every other day and shoot FMJ out another mag then put back in. Have done same probably dozens of times in last year alone and no setback.
Old March 3, 2013, 01:04 PM   #7
saltydog452

Shoot 'um up.

Maybe, something to do with storage conditions can have an effect.

That said, 30.06 ammunition that has been stored since the Korean War still works. Unlikely that it'd have been stored in a temperature/humidity controled enviorment.

Just for grins, 100 rds of .45ACP reloads were 'stored' barely covered in a bucket of water and placed on the back porch. The reloads were retrived and wiped down when the water had mostly evaporated. By far, the biggest majority of those 45 loads still functioned the slide.

Make of it what you will, but, I wouldn't sweat it for range use and gaining some trigger time. Wouldn't use it for carry if there was any other reasonable alternative.

salty
Old March 4, 2013, 10:38 AM   #8
TacticalDefense1911

Quote:
Probably the best bullets out there.
Not hardly. They are an okay design and worked well for when they were developed but they have proven time and again to clog up with heavy clothing. They also do not do well with intermediate barriers due to the fact they are not bonded. Federal themselves have several bullet designs that are better then the Hydra-shok let alone the numerous other companies who make self defense loads. Would I use them if they were my only option. Yes, but I would not go out of my way looking for them.
Old March 4, 2013, 10:55 AM   #9
BuckRub

Yes they can clog with clothing, Sheetrock , wood , etc. etc. etc. as can all others. Anyone can pick a reason to find and label why something has fault. Even if its true or made up. All in all just like a lot of premier bullets out there, they are awesome. I guess if I was gonna shoot thru a car door I'd rather have a ... Or if I was gonna- I'd have a... They're plain awesome for everyday carry! Lol
Old March 4, 2013, 12:31 PM   #10
tjhands

Backrub, you're obviously going to use Hydra-Shoks, no matter what you hear from me or anyone else, but certain modern hollow-point designs (Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot and others) simply outperform the Hydra-Shok in every single way. Yours are obsolete.
Old March 4, 2013, 12:37 PM   #11
TacticalDefense1911

Buck I'm glad you are happy with your ammunition, just don't spread that crap around to other people who don't know any better.
Old March 4, 2013, 12:44 PM   #12
Skadoosh

Those hydrashoks were state of the art 20-25 years ago. But not today. There is better performing stuff available now.
Old March 4, 2013, 01:05 PM   #13
ScottRiqui

Are the Hydra-shoks the ones with the little post in the middle of the cavity? A friend just gave me about 500 of them along with a bunch of of other 9mm ammo. I'm just going to use them for range ammo anyway, but I'd like to know what I've got.
Old March 4, 2013, 01:11 PM   #14
BGutzman

Hydra Shocks from what I read for whatever its worth are ok but they don't apparently expand as reliably as some newer designs... Let me recommend Gold Dots or DPX or Critical Defense rounds instead for CCW.
Old March 4, 2013, 01:56 PM   #15
BuckRub

To the Op they're excellent. To everyone else, I wouldn't want to get shot with a cap and ball, a HST, Glod Dot, Hydra-Shok or anything else. I don't care if some of my t shirt material gets stuck in the cavaty. They'll all do they're jobs.
Old March 4, 2013, 03:09 PM   #16
TunnelRat

Quote:
I don't care if some of my t shirt material gets stuck in the cavaty. They'll all do they're jobs.
What's your definition of "they're[sic] jobs"? If by that you mean puts holes in things, then yes they will. But some will do a better job of that than others.

Federal's HST load is an acronym for Hydra-Shok Two. It's an update of the design. If the design was so awesome to begin with, why did Federal themselves choose to update it? You're free to use whatever ammo you want. But from ballistics data they do not perform equally. Now whether or nor the difference is statistically significant is another question. But obviously Federal thought so.
Old March 4, 2013, 03:09 PM   #17
Skadoosh

Buckrub wrote:
Quote:
To the Op they're excellent.
....when compared to ball ammunition. Compared to modern designs like Gold Dot, Remington Golden Saber, Federal HST or Winchester Ranger T ammunition, they often come up short.

I think I smell a troll.
Old March 4, 2013, 05:43 PM   #18
BuckRub

Why do you guys some of you think there are better ones out there? Because someone told you? Maybe you got a lot of others and tested in gelatin yourselfs? I think not. I may believe what I say and others believe what they want. But sometimes if I tell you something and tell you to believe it, don't believe just because someone, whether it be an add, the news, our President, sometimes you have to do your own homework. I did and they're awesome as far as I'm concerned. Have a good day Gents.
Old March 4, 2013, 05:54 PM   #19
TunnelRat

Quote:
But sometimes if I tell you something and tell you to believe it, don't believe just because someone, whether it be an add, the news, our President, sometimes you have to do your own homework.

Quote:
I did and they're awesome as far as I'm concerned.
Would you care to share what homework you did that made you think they are awesome?
Old March 4, 2013, 06:00 PM   #20
BuckRub

My homework is real life things I shot. With them compared to Gold dots and HST and Golden Sabres. The real winners came from Hydra Shoks. I don't believe what I hear are what Adds say, I like real life situations that tell me.
Old March 4, 2013, 06:32 PM   #21
TunnelRat

Quote:
My homework is real life things I shot.
Such as?
Old March 5, 2013, 03:47 AM   #22
imthegrumpyone

There great !!!!!
Old March 5, 2013, 08:12 AM   #23
TacticalDefense1911

Shooting alot of animals with clothing on Buckrub?
Old March 5, 2013, 10:44 AM   #24
BuckRub

I guess you're right they were better than the rest I shot, done a lot more damage. Buti guess they could have sucked if I shot thru clothes. Lol. They still done better than the others.
Old March 5, 2013, 10:45 AM   #25
ScottRiqui

Quote:
Shooting alot of animals with clothing on Buckrub?
"One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know."

-Groucho Marx

Tags
hydra-shok , separated jacket