The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 1, 2013, 12:31 AM   #1
me239

Plated .38 special Unique loads?

Hey everyone! I recently got into reloading and want to reload for my .38 special S&W Model 10. I purchased 125 grain HP copper plated bullets from Berry's Plated Bullets and was wondering if anyone had any load data and OAL for the load? I've heard people saying their 4.8 grain charge was plenty hot, but then again I've seen others say they use 5.7 grains for standard pressure plinking rounds Can anyone give me some load data for using these 125 HPCP rounds and some OALs??? Thanks!
Old March 1, 2013, 07:23 AM   #2
rebs

Your best bet is to get a reloading manual and that will give you the information you are looking for. Start with a starting grain load and work your way up watching for any signs of over pressure.
Old March 1, 2013, 08:03 AM   #3
overhead

Berry's suggested this: "Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads."

So, when I used their bullets (I used some of their 40 recently) I followed their instructions. I found the data for the same bullet weight and profile in jacketed bullets in my manual and used that information. It worked fine, I would suggest following Berry's suggestion.
Old March 1, 2013, 09:17 AM   #4
Eazmo

I load bunches of Berry;s 125gr-FP for wifey to practice with.

Unique @ 5.1gr
coal= 1.450"
CCI 500 primmer
w/medium crimp

I started at 4.7gr but had unburned powder until i worked up to the 5.1 and it cleaned up allot.

the wife likes the softer recoil than say factory 130gr rounds. Now she shoots twice as many rounds on an outing which is a good thing.

BUT AS STATED ABOVE CHECK YOUR MANUAL'S DATA AND BERRY'S RECOMENDATION

Last edited by Eazmo; March 1, 2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old March 1, 2013, 03:48 PM   #5
me239

Thanks!

Thanks guys! I'll try that 5.1 grain recipe. I'm a large guy (6'4") so recoil isn't much of an issue in my book do you guys think I could up it to 5.7-5.9 for some +P? And again, thanks everyone. This is my first cartridge handgun I'm loading for, so I'm new to most of this.
Old March 1, 2013, 04:02 PM   #6
LE-28

I always just kept them within Berry's safty limits, below 1250 fps for standard plated and 1450 for thick plated.

According to them if you exceed these limits you leave yourself open to leaving part of a jacket in your barrel as an obstruction for the next bullet to hit.

Tags
38 special , unique