The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 3, 2013, 03:29 AM   #26
natman

357 hands down.

Better choice of ammo. Better selection of bullet weights. To top it off, it has the 38 Special option.

Finally, while a 357 from a handgun is loud, a 30 carbine is unbelievable. Ear splitting, gets your attention 6 booths down at the outdoor shooting range while wearing muffs AND plugs loud. I've only experienced it once and that was plenty.

Wear hearing protection in either case.
Old March 3, 2013, 02:22 PM   #27
BOBA FETT

i love my dirty thirty..i say go and get one...
Old March 3, 2013, 04:32 PM   #28
tjh

I know the op said he was wanting a blackhawk , but a t/c contender or encore with a 12-15 inch barrel would make the 30carbine a much better choice . imo.
but my first choice would be a contender in 327 fed mag.
Old March 12, 2013, 01:55 PM   #29
wyobohunter

Ruger Blackhawk knockabout varmint gun (30 vs 357)

Well, I decided to go with a 5.5" Bisley
Vaquero in 357. I like the slimmer lines compared to the BHawk, I like the barrel length. Obviously I'll need to play with loads to get something that hits POA but I think once I've found the pet load I'll be happy with the choice. I'll post when I pick it up (it's in another town so I called them & put money down) and have a chance to shoot it a bit.

Thanks for all of the help.
Old April 13, 2013, 09:11 PM   #30
wyobohunter

Ruger Blackhawk knockabout varmint gun (30 vs 357)

I know this thread is a bit dated now but I'll revive it because I picked up the Bisley. I ran a few patches through is and shot it with some factory federal 158 gr loads on the way home. Shooting was pretty informal but I was able to make a 6" diameter tin lid very nervous at nearly over 75 yds using my tailgate as a rest. I even hit it twice out of six tries. It hits point of aim with this load from very close to the estimated 75+ yds.

I'm very excited as I feel this will be a viable hunting revolver for p-dogs, coyotes, wolves, antelope and deer out to 75 yards or so.

I bought a couple hundred 158 gr Hdy XTP's and 1,000 WSPM primers. There was no brass to be had so I bought 100 rounds of the factory stuff mainly for the brass. So far very happy. I'll try to get some pics and post again when I've had a chance to do some formal accuracy testing.

Last edited by wyobohunter; April 13, 2013 at 09:23 PM.