The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 27, 2013, 08:35 PM   #1
BerdanSS

Finished: a black powder "brush rifle"

Well, not sure how much appreciation this sort of thing will get. Which as a lover of C&B revolvers, guns of the old west and finely crafted pieces of wood and steel, that capture and preserve the very essence of our great country's heritage...I would understand. But that in mind I also have a side that drools over almost anything "tactical". (just not when it's one of the aforementioned classics with a laser on it)

So here it is....

It went from here.

To here.

and then on to this.

Finally coming to a stop with this.

I had fun doing it, and I'm really happy with the outcome. It cost roughly $100 and change for everything including the cost of the rifle itself. Cant wait to shoot it. Just wanted to share with everyone. better pics when I can get some
Old February 27, 2013, 08:39 PM   #2
Beagle333

I do like the paint job. I wouldn't mind having something like that on my all-black Remington Genesis.
But I do like my barrel length. I'm a fan of longer = better. (But that's just me)
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old February 27, 2013, 08:42 PM   #3
BerdanSS

Thanks Beagle! Paint inspired by this...

I'm for the advantages of longer barrels most of the time too. But I'm a big fan of an 18" barrel also. Just never had one on a 50 caliber black powder before....we'll see how it goes.

The main reasons for cutting the barrel from 24" to 18" was the last 4 or so inches of the barrel were BADLY pitted and no rifling what so ever. It looked like the muzzle of a smooth bore musket that had been buried for a decade cutting it created a near perfect bore with a shiny new crown.

The second reason would be due to the very tight shooting conditions of where I hunt deer mostly, and it's a friend of my hunting buddy so cutting shooting lanes is not an option.

Last edited by BerdanSS; February 27, 2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old February 27, 2013, 09:15 PM   #4
Beagle333

Yep, I recognized the pattern. I got some of them little fellows in my yard. That's one more reason I wear the 1860 whenever I'm outside.

I call this trail down to my pond "Copperhead Road".
Here's a pic of the trail, if anybody's interested.
Have a Colt and a smile.

Last edited by Beagle333; February 27, 2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old February 28, 2013, 10:45 AM   #5
tranders

Are you going to use a scope?
Old February 28, 2013, 11:00 AM   #6
Pahoo

I like it and thanks for posting.

Quote:
guns of the old west and finely crafted pieces of wood and steel, that capture and preserve the very essence of our great country's heritage...I would understand.
Personally, I like what you did as I have never had a problem making a distinction between In-Lines and SideLocks. SideLocks touch my heart. I really don't care what folks do with In-Lines but cringe at what others have done to sidelocks, in the past.

Quote:
The main reasons for cutting the barrel from 24" to 18" was the last 4 or so inches of the barrel were BADLY pitted and no rifling what so ever. It looked like the muzzle of a smooth bore musket that had been buried for a decade cutting it created a near perfect bore with a shiny new crown.
Historically, this has been a common practice especially when we used fiberglass rods without guides. When buying and older M/L, one instinctively looks deep into the bore and forgets to check muzzle and crown. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 28, 2013, 11:09 AM   #7
deerslayer303

Nice Job! Looks Great. One thing you might find is that with a shorter barrel, they really don't do well with higher charges. Like my little carbine, accuracy actually falls off with anything better than 80 grains. Its almost like the short barrel doesn't give the powder time to completely burn. Like most is wasted. I don't know I can't explain it. If I charge that .58 with 90 and up it shoots worse than it does with 80 grains. I need to try the white paper on the ground trick I read about here. But since you are using pellets you might try getting some 50gr eq. pellets and some 30 grain eq. pellets. that way you can play around with the charge. Just my rambling .02
Old February 28, 2013, 09:35 PM   #8
BerdanSS

Tranders

I think I'm going to, I was going to put a set of fire sights on it...but it's getting difficult to get screws to mount them. I'm thinking about a low power 30mm with a reticle like a German #1 or circle dot.

Slayer,

Thanks for the tip sir. This is only the second inline I've ever had (or shot) in my life, and my first muzzle loader with a barrel less than 24". I was just looking at 30gr pellets this morning. I've never used pellets either Always loose powder, mostly pyrodex, but I did just picked up a jug of the new BLACK MZ by Alliant to try in my other Muzzys. So this is all going to be new to me....with a lot of testing and trials.....ya know the best part I'll be taking both regular pyrodex 50/50 and 30/50s as well as 777 pellets. (when the sighting thing is sorted out that is)

I'll post better pics of it tomorrow

Thanks everyone for the comments....I'm happy ya'll liked my little work bench project!
Old February 28, 2013, 11:12 PM   #9
BerdanSS

If I do end up using a optic of some kind, I was thinking about using this mount. It's specifically for my rifle. Comes in 1" and 30mm.

Old March 2, 2013, 10:56 AM   #10
BerdanSS

Better pictures.

Old March 3, 2013, 01:07 PM   #11
shortwave

Very nice Berdan.

Make sure you get back with us with a range report.

I gotta neglected Knight a guy gave me I may do just the same with.
Old March 4, 2013, 02:24 PM   #12
woodnbow

Do chrono that carbine and get back to us will you? I may do something similar to my Black Diamond...
Old March 4, 2013, 03:54 PM   #13
BerdanSS

I will most defiantly do a full range rapport with pictures, numbers....the whole nine yards. I don't have a chronograph currently...but I'm going to buy one before my first range trip with the rifle. I've been wanting one for a while. While I didn't get to chrono it before the barrel was shortened, I did see how accurate it was, So I can do a comparison of any loss (or gain maybe?) on accuracy at least.

But I will do a full test with a chrono, different brands of pellets, pellet size combinations, velocity loss and gains with different types in combination with accuracy loss/gain using different bullets.

I was thinking about the Chrony Alpha Master maybe? I've never had my own, and while I'd like to make sure I get a good one, I'm not looking to break the bank on a top of the line one. Any suggestions for a good quality chrono, that will work accurately with black power? Also one that doesn't need blinding sunlight to work?
Old March 4, 2013, 05:26 PM   #14
woodnbow

I have an old F1 Chrony. It's been reliable for many years and a lot of blackpowder. Just two cautions, cover the screen with a piece of 1x4 pine if you're using wads. (ask me how I know... and shoot over the sensors at 12-15' for best accuracy.
Old March 4, 2013, 09:19 PM   #15
BerdanSS

Well I decided to give the optic some more serious thought. And I want to see the accuracy potential before I buy a cheaper one....or through down a big clam on a nice one, and then regret it later. So for now I just tossed an older fixed 4 power by 32 shotgun/ML scope on it that was laying around.

I picked up two boxes of 100 count 777 209 primers yesterday, and will pick up some assorted pellets this weekend. I have various powerbelt and hornady FPB bullets to use for testing also. Now.....I just need a chrono, and time to make the 2 hour trek to the range
Old March 5, 2013, 01:00 PM   #16
Pahoo

Range-Time is in order !!

Berdan
I'm not questioning your choices but would ask why you prefer the pellets? Just trying to confirm my opinion of them. Going to be watching for your range-report. ....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; March 5, 2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old March 5, 2013, 08:50 PM   #17
BerdanSS

Well, for one thing....it just seems like less hassle for the type of quick hunting I do. And I don't know why, but I have this un-explainable increased feeling of confidence in a 209 primed inline with pellets, being left loaded for a couple of days if need be.

But as I've never used them...we'll see I may end up going back to loose. I got a pound of alliant's new stuff, Black MZ to try as well. Pretty excited about that.