The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 2, 2013, 03:47 PM   #1
603Country

Barnes TSX bullets - is copper laydown a problem?

I'd like to try some of the TSX bullets in my 220 Swift, and I have two questions for the folks that use them now. First question is about the copper. Is copper fouling particularly bad with that bullet? Second question is what bullet to use. They offer 50 grain, 53 grain, and 55 grain, and is there a stabilization problem with the 55 grain in a 220 Swift?
Old March 2, 2013, 03:58 PM   #2
hooligan1

I'm not sure what they provide for the .220 swift, but as far as the 130 grain TTSX's I have tested, I didn't get "bent" on how much fouling took place...... cause I got the ELIMINATOR!!!!!!! no really I didn't notice a big problem, and I've sent twenty or so downrange. I'm really excited to see actuall performance on game with those dudes, Brian Phlueger says he likes them so it's worth a try I guess, and my testing has been conclusive, they are accurate enough to stake a load on, I loaded thirty more after testing, turns out it uses the same OCW my 130 grain Accubond loads do for this rifle..
Old March 2, 2013, 05:48 PM   #3
603Country

Thanks for the info. I'll order some and likely get put on backorder, but sooner or later they'll show up.

These are to use on pigs. As I've mentioned before, the Nosler 55 gr BT isn't quite enough medicine that I can rely on it to put the pig down. I decided to try the Partition, but finally decided that I want the speed I can get with the 55 grainers. That leaves me with the Sierra 55 gr GK and the TSX bullets.

And thank goodness for that Boretech Eliminator. The Swift fouls up a lot more than the 223 does (no surprise there), and I had a lot of copper to remove in 2 days of shooting the 220. And...naturally that brought me around to the question of how bad the Barnes bullets are about putting down copper.