The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 4, 2013, 03:32 PM   #51
Skadoosh

Ok...I do have one other comment now that there are more photos posted, but they are not about the choice of paint scheme.

After looking more at the additional photos, I have been noticing what looks like chipping or galling on the edges of the hammer well...as well as on either side of the mainspring housing. Looks like the finish is coming because of poor prep work on the painter/finisher's part. Has anyone else noticed this?

Old March 4, 2013, 04:52 PM   #52
Rabbitt

Skadoosh - I had noticed the same thing and tried to take some photos of the bottom of the slide. What looks like bad prep or chipping is actually the paint as it goes around the sharp edges. Depending on the angle it is looked at it either makes sense or looks like crap and it did worry me for a bit after I looked at the first couple of photos.

Here is one photo that might help with the above explanation.

I am not sure if the next ones will make sense or not.

I do appreciate you bring it up however because it does give me a change to explain.

Believe me. It does look better in person.
Para; Browning; Colt; Henry; Rossi; Kimber; Magnum Research; Rock Island; Ruger; S&W; Sig; Taurus; Chiappa; Remington; Remington Shotgun; Hi Point Carbine; Bushmaster; ISSC; Beretta; Marlin. .22; .380; 9mm; .38; .357; .45; 12 gauge; .223/5.56.
Variety is the spice of life.
Old March 4, 2013, 05:07 PM   #53
thedudeabides

Looks like a bad Cerakote paint job on a GI-spec R1 that normally runs 600 bucks, probably sold for the kind of money that gets you a much nicer 1911, like a Colt... or an R1E for that matter.
Old March 4, 2013, 07:34 PM   #54
jimbob86

Looks like it shoots just fine.

Now to work up some handloads so you can aford to shoot it more ....... you did pick up your brass, right?

http://nefirearm.com/
Old March 4, 2013, 08:13 PM   #55
Mac 1

Estate Ammo

Estate is made by Federal in Minnesota. It is their target/plinking stuff. It has the smaller primer. That irks some of the guys who reload. I use it alot, it is cheaper than the other stuff. Unfortunately, everything is getting harder to find/get.
Old March 4, 2013, 10:15 PM   #56
WiscBuckmaster

I wasn't bashing anybody. I was just pointing out if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all, how is that bashing? manners sure are hard to come by these days.
Old March 4, 2013, 10:39 PM   #57
lamarw

Actually no more bashing than stating one's opinion of the pistol's finish. I love the pistol, but the finish is like a few others have stated not my preference.

Rabbit even stated he did not care for the sand or cammo in desert colors. That was also an opinion. I agree with his point.

I doubt Rabbit has taken as much offense as you have to some of the semi-negative post.

As much as anything it could be a generation thing so to speak. There has probaly been more debate over blued vs. stainless steel/nickel over the years.

I remember when I posted I acquired the basic R1 for $550.00. Many slammed me for buying a Remington R1. No big deal since over time I see where more and more folks seem to agree and like the R1.

It actually does not matter since over time the acquistion cost becomes a moot point. It becomes the matter of quality and enjoyment in ownership. If he likes his as much as I do mine, then he got a wonderful pleasure in life with his acquisition.

I have seen few other post of buying a new pistol with as many responses.

Please relax and know we all love our possessions whether others agree or not.
Old March 4, 2013, 10:45 PM   #58
Martowski

Rabbit, nice pistol. And, while the finish may not be my exact choice, who cares what my choice is because it's your gun and you like it! And, honestly, the grips you're getting off E-bay are perfect for that gun. If you're going to go zombie, then go all the way!

I got totally slammed here once for posting pics of a Glock 22 with EPSO (El Paso Sheriff's Office) markings that I traded for a rare, mismarked "Lysons Corner" Sig P226. "Helpful people" from all around were here to tell me what a fool I was and how they would have given me two G22s for that pistol. Well, guess what... it had SPECIFIC markings that I wanted and that no other G22 had. And, the G22 is a much better shooting pistol than the rattly, worn out Sig I had given up. Morale of the story? I'm glad you have the pistol YOU want with the finish that YOU like. It's no worse than all the digital camo stuff people have put on their pistols these days, and at least yours is unique. I'm betting there's a ton of guys out there that would easily buy that from you just because it's so different.
Old March 5, 2013, 12:25 AM   #59
zbird

Rabbitt I like it, very unique. I also am amazed at the photos you took. Those pics are nice. If you don't mind me asking, what type of camara are you useing?
Old March 5, 2013, 12:26 AM   #60
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscBuckmaster
Yeah you're right people show off their new purchase just to get idiots to post rude condescending remarks that basically point out how they hope you got it for a discount because its so ugly.
I'm with you, some of the comments did get a little terse and insulting, and kinda put me off too.

That said, if you posted a picture of a non-traditional finish on any firearm, or anything that might be controversial, you have to expect answers on both sides. I think Rabbitt understood that people might have differing responses, and notice that s/he's rolling with it. Lets all just chill out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscBuckmaster
I wasn't bashing anybody. I was just pointing out if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all, how is that bashing? manners sure are hard to come by these days.
To me, you did come off as a little antagonistic. I think part of it was you quoted my comment and then referred to other posters. I understood, but folks just jumping on the thread might not have picked up on that. Just my $.02.
Old March 5, 2013, 12:42 AM   #61
TheDoubleDeuce

Re: My new Remington R1

But they look so nice with the black finish! Oh well, it is definitely unique and if you like it that's all that matters. You are the one who is going to be shooting it. I almost bought an R1 for $650, but for multiple reasons I went with the Springfield mil spec for the same price. I'm sure the R1 is a great gun too.
Old March 5, 2013, 01:25 AM   #62
WiscBuckmaster

Lesson learned, I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.
OP i hope you enjoy the gun, I've always been a fan of remington firearms. I'm hoping to check out the R1 carry soon.
Old March 5, 2013, 01:41 AM   #63
JimmyR

On a seperate note, I was roaming around a gun store, and saw a shotgun with the same paint job on there...like i said, the more I see it, the more I like it.
Old March 5, 2013, 01:53 AM   #64
lamarw

I think you will be sold on it if you check it out Wisconsin Buck. It really does feel like and resemble the old Army M1911. It has a warranty plan second to none. Remington will pay for the shipping both ways on a warranty problem. Bersa and many other firearms sure do not do the same. Then Remington tells you they will have the pistol back to you within one week. You can not beat it.

Attached is a picture comparrison between my 1918 Colt M1911 and my Remington R1. Not only do they look alike, they feel alike in your hand.

You will notice I killed all the zombies off my pistols. It is kind of like small pox.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R1 vw Colt M1911.jpg (118.8 KB, 54 views)
Old March 5, 2013, 03:28 AM   #65
Noreaster

Nice pistol and it appears to be a shooter, very accurate. Unique finish, do they make a zombie FDE!
Old March 5, 2013, 10:09 AM   #66
Rabbitt

Wow. Truly I never expected all the comments. This is the first thread I started that reached 3 pages. Lol

Ok. Yes I have a tough skin. I knew when I posted the photos that there would be many who would not like it as well as I but I also knew there would be many who would appreciate the finish as well as it being and R1.

lamarw - Love the photo. A nice pair of pistols you have there.

JimmyR. I saw the shotgun and was tempted but I have an 870 I like.

zbird. Thanks for the comments on the photos. I used my Droid 4 camera. Yep a phone camera. Did play with the settings some for night time shots and macros.

BTW thedudeabides. I handled the R1E and while overall I liked it I found it to be too much for me in the sharp edged, palm cutting, excessive fore and aft cuttings on the grip. Extremely uncomfortable just holding it so didn't even want to try and shoot it. Not my style.

To those who have said perhaps they overstated their opinions, don't worry about it. I try not to take offense at what others say when they simply state their opinion..

I am male, 64 years old, retired USAF (after 24 yrs) and don't let trolls disturb me.

Rabbitt
Para; Browning; Colt; Henry; Rossi; Kimber; Magnum Research; Rock Island; Ruger; S&W; Sig; Taurus; Chiappa; Remington; Remington Shotgun; Hi Point Carbine; Bushmaster; ISSC; Beretta; Marlin. .22; .380; 9mm; .38; .357; .45; 12 gauge; .223/5.56.
Variety is the spice of life.
Old March 5, 2013, 12:27 PM   #67
bossman

I like. A very unique 1911. A little troubled with the target pic's, no zombie targets?

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old March 5, 2013, 01:34 PM   #68
awaveritt

Have not seen an R1 I didn't like.

I recently acquired my R1 Stainless (see pic) and I love it. Only ran 200 rounds thru it so far, but no hiccups yet. Going to shoot cast in mine - H&G 34 clone (NOE) 230 LRN.

Thanks for sharing your pics. Definitely one of the more unusual specimens I've seen. The 1911 platforms just scream for individuality, and you sure get high marks for that

Hope you enjoy your's as much I'm enjoying mine. Have fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Remington 1911 R1 Stainless 45acp.jpg (246.8 KB, 39 views)
Old March 5, 2013, 11:57 PM   #69
WiscBuckmaster

The more good things i see and hear about the R1 the more tempting it becomes. I'm in the market for another handgun and the R1 might just be it. I've been trying to decide between the Ruger sr1911 and the Rem R1. I'll have to shoot them both and then make my decision.
Old March 6, 2013, 07:25 AM   #70
lamarw

They are both nice pistols. I have never shot the Ruger, but I have handled it in the guns store. As, I have state before the R1 reminds me more of the old military M1911 in appearance whereas the Ruger reminds be more of the M1911A1.

To me, they do feel different in your hands. The Ruger felt lighter but the two pistols basically are the same weight. It may have to do with balance.

Good luck with it and let us know what you decide on. It is always nice to hear another view point or even opinion of what swayed you to your pistol of choice.
Old March 7, 2013, 07:55 PM   #71
chriscraft35

Hey Rabbit, Here's a pic of my zombie eliminator!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gun 1.jpg (221.5 KB, 52 views)
Old March 7, 2013, 10:49 PM   #72
Constantine

Since we're talking about eliminating zombies

Old March 15, 2013, 09:40 PM   #73
52 Monster Stack

It's different that's for sure.I hope you have good luck with it and enjoy it.
Old March 15, 2013, 09:51 PM   #74
MercyfulFate

My friend just bought a regular R1, so we're taking it shooting this weekend.

Owner of: S&W Model 10-5, Beretta 92fs and a Mossberg Maverick 88 "Security" Shotgun
Old March 16, 2013, 04:27 PM   #75
Frasier

Nice gun, not my cup of tea (I'm a BIG fan of the zombie genre, I just don't want zombie themed guns) but looks like it is a good shooter. Do you shoot at The Bullet Hole? (Also in La Vista) I usualy get there on Friday around 1ish.