The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 25, 2013, 07:53 AM   #1
seeker_two

Derringer Loads: What Do You Use?

For those here who own derringers of any caliber.....what types of ammo do you use for range and, if you carry it in the field or as your CCW, "social" situations?

(NOTE: This is NOT a discussion about the feasability of the derringer for SD use. TFL has plenty of threads discussing that. Keep it on the ammo choices, please.)

Thanks in advance....

Last edited by seeker_two; February 25, 2013 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old February 25, 2013, 10:13 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

you didn't mention the caliber ( that may make a difference )

if factory ammo is available in "short barrel" it will be loaded in a powder that will work better in a shorter barrel

I'd personally look for load data developed around a snubby or compact auto if so chambered in your derringer
Old February 25, 2013, 10:44 AM   #3
Jim Downey

To some extent, Magnum Wheel Man is correct - it'll depend on the caliber. I have a Bond Arms Texas Defender model (3" barrel) which sometimes serves "car gun" duty. Currently I have the .38/.357 barrels on it, and CorBon 125gr DPX loads, which we tested at 1313fps in that gun.

For just shooting at the range, it's fun with light .38sp reloads.

That same gun with the 3.5" .45Colt barrels is a lot less fun to just shoot, and the power of the various SD loads isn't nearly as impressive. Worse, the thing isn't accurate at all, since only the last half inch of barrel is rifled to accommodate .410 shells.

There are several other calibers/cartridges we tested out of a derringer on our site, if you want to see the results.
http://www.communionofdreams.com/ Communion of Dreams - my current novel.
Old February 25, 2013, 11:43 AM   #4
seeker_two

Good point....I meant to open the question to dreeingers of all calibers and types. I edited my OP to reflect this.

Thanks for the input!
Old February 25, 2013, 04:45 PM   #5
Amendtwo

.38 Derringer

A friend of mine had a Davis derringer in .38 Spcl. It was no fun to shoot at the range, considering the hard, narrow grip and the spur trigger. The only tolerable load was 110 grain standard pressure ammo. At least it was easy to conceal, and could be useful as a "snake gun" with CCI shot cartridges.
Old February 25, 2013, 04:53 PM   #6
Buzzard

I have 2 davis derringers one in 22mag and one in 22lr I shoot 22 stingers in the 22lr and any mag round in the .22mag....not too bad to shoot.
I can hit a paper plate at 5 steps with either.
Old February 25, 2013, 04:58 PM   #7
CCCLVII

I just use what ever loads I put in my other guns My only Derringer is a 45LC/410 shot