The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 23, 2013, 10:57 PM   #1
Moloch

Help identify really short Mauser

I was browsing the milsurp rifle rack in my favorite gun store when I found an odd little Mauser, made some pics right away.
I've never seen a Mauser THAT short before, a full power 8x57 out of that 16 or 17'' barrel must hurt!

The wood was exceptionally nice looking for a milsurp rifle (Tiger stripe maple??), overall condition of the rifle was unfired and it had a grooved butt plate. Sights marked for 1400 meters.
No crest, no marks, nothing, just a serial number and a ''Mod 98'' on the receiver bridge.

Old February 24, 2013, 12:20 AM   #2
scrubcedar

We had another of those "no markings mausers"recently. If you remove the stock are there markings under it? That was what we found on the last one.
Old February 24, 2013, 12:25 AM   #3
BerdanSS

I hope you bought it....that thing is sweeeet Never seen a mauser made up like that. enfields maybe.
Old February 24, 2013, 12:51 AM   #4
scrubcedar

I think I may have found it. It looks like an Ethiopian FN carbine. Here is a link. http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30035962 That looks like a pretty good source. Other source's mention a "FN M1930 Mauser Carbine, FN, Belgium early 1930s, cal. 7.92x57. Ethiopian contract carbine" that looks the same as well but the ones mentioned had Ethiopian as well as Israeli markings.
Old February 24, 2013, 12:59 AM   #5
Scorch

Model 1930 FN short rifles were sold to many armies around the world. Looks beautiful, got to be one in a million with that kind of wood on it.
Taylor Machine
Old February 24, 2013, 07:38 AM   #6
Moloch

Quote:
I think I may have found it. It looks like an Ethiopian FN carbine.
I think you are right, though the barrel between the first and the second barrel band is not covered by the handguard.

The owner wants 350 for it, maybe I'll go and pick it up next week if its still there. I don't really need it but it looks like brand new and its kinda neat.

Last edited by Moloch; February 24, 2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old February 24, 2013, 08:35 AM   #7
mapsjanhere

Very wise of you not putting your location under your name, otherwise I'd be out scavenging. $350 for a great shape military Mauser is a steal nowadays.
Old February 24, 2013, 12:36 PM   #8
SGreve32x

That has some beautiful looking wood on that thing!!!
Old February 24, 2013, 01:26 PM   #9
EIGHTYDUECE

Mauser tanker carbine. I have seen Persian versions around here but not in that good of shape and those had Farsi numbers on the rear sight.

I'm the same fellow as Captain H (found my old password )

Last edited by EIGHTYDUECE; February 24, 2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old February 24, 2013, 02:31 PM   #10
JD0x0

17'' barrel and sights for 1400 meters? Crazy Germans! Really nice rifle
Old February 24, 2013, 02:47 PM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

The Iranians also had a 17" or so short barrel Mauser 98k.

That wood is gorgeous!
Old February 24, 2013, 07:20 PM   #12
Dfariswheel

In the 1920's and 30's a lot of 17" barreled Mauser's were made by FN for sales all over the world.
Among others Colombia bought them and later converted many of them to 30-06 after we gave them the ammo after the war.

Muzzle blast on mine was ferocious but controllable.

One of the most interesting 98 carbines I owned was an Indonesian plantation guard carbine.
It was made by FN and had a diamond shaped receiver crest with a stylized IOB monogram.

Note that in the last few years importers have been selling cut-down rifles converted into "tanker carbines". These have been made using M1917 and P-14 rifles, Lee-Enfield rifles, and 98 Mauser's.
Buy carefully to avoid getting one of these cut-downs and not an original Mauser carbine.
Old February 24, 2013, 09:28 PM   #13
Willie Sutton

Likely a cut down.... having collected Mausers for almost 30 years, and have several short rifles in my collection (Persian, Columbian, G33/40, etc). Wood generally would only be that grade in a South Amercan Mauser, as they often specified the best. The "Mod 98" marking is not one associated with other than German military issue though and would never be on a FN manufactured rifle. All of the contract guns have crests of some sort. So what we have is a mystery, which generally in Mauser collecting means a built-up rifle of some sort. In any event it's pretty and for that price is a "buy" recommendation.

Willie

Old February 25, 2013, 08:41 AM   #14
tahoe2

that makes a handy "woods" carbine, I want one !!
Old February 25, 2013, 11:37 AM   #15
spitpatch

mauser

If you don't buy it let us know where it's at.
Old February 25, 2013, 08:08 PM   #16
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
a full power 8x57 out of that 16 or 17'' barrel must hurt!
Wouldn't recoil be less?
Old February 25, 2013, 08:44 PM   #17
emcon5

Isn't Captain Bubba, AKA Mitchell selling something like that? New production from Zastava.

http://www.zastava-arms.co.rs/cms/index.php?id=248
Old February 25, 2013, 09:06 PM   #18
Moloch

@Johnwilliamson

Funny. If we assume that the velocity loss in the carbine barrel is ~200 fps its going to kick exactly as hard as the standard Mauser k98k. According to the recoil calculator. Its going to produce a lot more blast though, and just as a rocket this creates thrust which adds to the recoil.

Its the same size as the Mitchell tanker Mauser, but it looks differently. The whole bolt is blued, the bolt handle is bent differently, the wood is darker and looks much better and I don't remember seeing any manufacturer stamps on the rifle.

By the way, why can't I quote? I can't find the button anymore...
Old February 26, 2013, 02:17 AM   #19
Rainbow Demon

Quote:
By the way, why can't I quote? I can't find the button anymore...
Never could find a reply with quote button here.
To quote some one I just type in the quote brackets
use [quote] at the begining , copy and paste the desired text, the add /quote (also in brackets) at the end.

I had an iranian carbine and it kicked like Bruce Lee on crack.
It was not a lightweight carbine, the barrel under the handguard was very thick and came to a angled shoulder just before emerging from the guard.
Still over all weight had to be at least one pound less than a 98K.
I was using some rather hot milsurp ammo, but I suspect that a sort of rocket effect of the muzzle blast my have added to the recoil.
Muzzle bast extended about four feet, and it was so loud that on the first shot I thought the gun had blown up.
I started handloading with this carbine, using light charges of IMR 4198, power level was a bit more than .30-30 levels and accuracy was greatly improved. Muzzle blast was not bad. The faster powder was more efficient in the short barrel.

The .30-06 Police carbine versions sold to a South American country were intended for use with a downloaded cartridge about the power level of a .30-30.
I've been told that when the .30-06 police carbine became obsolete that the ammo manufactured for it was given to military schools where they used it in older Mauser rifles for target shooting at a two hundred yard range.

Thats one fine looking stock. I'd jump on it.

Last edited by Rainbow Demon; February 26, 2013 at 02:29 AM.
Old February 26, 2013, 10:18 PM   #20
SGreve32x

The furniture on that is amazing!
Old February 27, 2013, 10:28 AM   #21
BerdanSS

Moloch

Have you bought it yet?!

If you don't....ME DO WANT!
Old February 27, 2013, 01:47 PM   #22
JD0x0

Quote:
Quote:
Wouldn't recoil be less?
IME, a shortened barrel has more muzzle blast and more recoil because it's shorter and lighter. Even though muzzle energy is lower, recoil is higher.
Old February 27, 2013, 03:51 PM   #23
Pharm

[QUOTEQuote:

Quote:
Wouldn't recoil be less?

IME, a shortened barrel has more muzzle blast and more recoil because it's shorter and lighter. Even though muzzle energy is lower, recoil is higher. ][/QUOTE]

I agree even though you'd lose velocity, the recoil may be a bit more due to a lighter rifle. I don't think factory 8mm Mauser loadings are going to be much in the recoil dept. however.
Old February 28, 2013, 06:29 PM   #24
wpsdlrg

The stock is (tiger striped) WALNUT. One of the most beautiful I've ever seen - especially on a military rifle. Old growth wood, available in Europe before WW2. Sadly, WW2 consumed most of the really nice walnut there, so there is very little of it, with THAT kind of figure, to be found now. Of course, there is lots of walnut around - replanted after the war. But, wood with THAT degree of figure is quite rare.

I'd buy the carbine just for the stock.....if I had the chance.
Old July 11, 2013, 10:56 AM   #25
Harms Way

Hi Guys,

I didn't see a introduction page, so I hope I'm not breaking protocol, This thread is how I found this forum, I have a Mauser that is very much like the one posted in the OP (but not near the condition). However I am missing the hand guard.... ( I've had it for 20 years and haven't found one at any gun show).

It came in on a trade and I was told at the time it was a Belgium Police rifle, but they were also used as Tankers. I am at my Sons house babysitting the Grandsons. But I will post pictures along with all the markings a little later, Maybe this will help shed light on this rifle.

Thanks for having me on this Forum.

Last edited by Harms Way; July 11, 2013 at 11:08 AM.