The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 26, 2013, 01:28 PM   #26
temmi

My DIL carries a Walther PPS

in 40S&W

Very nice

Snake
Old February 26, 2013, 01:35 PM   #27
SPEMack618

My Big Sister carries a S&W Bodyguard .380 in a IWB holster tucked into a pair of jean shorts she wears under her dress.

Being tall and skinny, and working in the South, a lightweight sun/sunday dress is her usual work attire and that method works well for her most days.

When it gets a bit colder, and necessitates pant suits at work, she uses the same IWB holster and does the behind the hip carry under her suit coat.

The video tipoc posted in the where she got the idea.
Old February 26, 2013, 01:41 PM   #28
Nathan

Younger women seem to have a hard time of it. The cut, fit and material weight of what is trendy now makes hiding anything including privates hard. If someone breaks this mold and covers her behind or chest, she would be almost an outcast in the ~25 crowd.

Sorry, just ranting a bit...seems like someone should really figure out how to utilize the bra as a holster mount....I've seen some, but nothing I thought was great.
Old February 26, 2013, 02:58 PM   #29
BGutzman

My wife carries a Springfield XD Compact in 40. She likes the high capacity and the size of the gun.
Old February 26, 2013, 09:20 PM   #30
Kalamity Kate

I found a Beretta Nano at Academy today. It came with an eight and a six round magazine. I picked up a De Santis Gunhide Sof-Tuck IWB holder for it.

The You Tube clips posted here were really interesting. So many times I look at the holsters and wonder what to do with the contraptions. It is often not obvious to newcomers. The Remora shown on the clips looks pretty good and I intend to order one to fit in the tops of low riding pants. The Marilyn looked to be very useful, too.

The Nano fits nicely concealed where the Glock 27 is useless for concealed unless in a purse. Would love to try out my new hand gun later this week but no one has any 9 mm ammunition.
Old February 26, 2013, 10:39 PM   #31
ClydeFrog

Beretta "good guys" $50.00 rebate offer; 2013...

A Nano should fill your requirements. For defense, Id highly suggest the Corbon PowRball www.shopcorbon.com or a Ranger T 124gr FMJ NATO 9mm round.
Smaller barrels & sub-compact actions may not feed/cycle all modern JHPs.
Speer Gold Dot puts out a good short barrel 124gr +P JHP 9x19mm too. Ammunition is a big problem now. Keep on top of these vendors; www.cabelas.com www.natchezss.com www.midwayusa.com www.grafs.com www.sgammo.com www.cheaperthandirt.com www.buffalobore.com .

Clyde
PS; if you are a "armed professional" or "first responder" you may qualify for Beretta's special program. You can get a $50.00 rebate for buying new 2 Beretta USA pistols(PX4, Nano, 92FS, M9a1, etc). The offer runs until 12/31/2013. See www.berettausa.com . If you buy 1 more Beretta model, both guns get a $50.00 rebate.
Old February 26, 2013, 11:33 PM   #32
btmj

My wife (5'5" athletic build) prefers casual clothes, loose fitting jeans and baggy sweatshirts/tops, tennis shoes. Her profession does not require her to dress up, and she never does. In warm weather, it is denim or nylon shorts with a cotton short sleeve t-shirt.

She caries a Ruger LC9 in a High Noon "Mister Softy" holster. This is a non-canted soft leather IWB holster. She wears at the 3:00 position on her hip. She also (quite often) puts the pistol in a pocket holster and stuffs it into whatever jacket she is wearing... with temps in the 20s right now, her heavy coat has multiple pockets that swallow up a small pistol.

She also has another holster that is tuckable, and she occasionally uses that one. But she does not like the gun next to her bare skin.

We have a friend who is very stylish. She spends a lot of money on very nice clothes, and her style is much more form-fitting. If she is wearing jeans, they are tight, as are her dress slacks. Often she wears skirts and tight blouses. She has had a very hard time with concealed carry, and she is (so far) unwilling to alter her style of dress. She is not a young person, but she dresses as one, and as Nathan says, this style of form-fitting revealing clothing is hard to work around. She mostly caries a snub SW J frame 38 in a purse, and I think she owns every purse Galco makes, plus some others.

Based on her experience, if a woman is not willing to try to dress around the gun, a specialty holster-purse may be the best option. DON'T LOOSE THE DAMN THING !
Old February 28, 2013, 01:04 AM   #33
pax
Staff

Quote:
Sorry, just ranting a bit...seems like someone should really figure out how to utilize the bra as a holster mount....I've seen some, but nothing I thought was great.
Today, while visiting a friend, I had an opportunity to help a very slender young woman find her best carry method.

First, we tried a P3AT in a horizontal-type holster under her left arm (in a shoulder holster location). That did not work for her. Like many very slender women, she found that the horizontally carried firearm either poked out in front or in back. Even with the very short gun, she was just too thin to reliably conceal the gun in that way.

Next, we tried a j-frame in a vertical shoulder holster variant (the Trump Card from www.PistolWear.com). That worked a bit better for her. It still left a visible bulge, but she found it comfortable. A few minutes later, we tried the same holster with a Boberg pistol, which is roughly the same size as the single stack Kahr CW9. That worked quite well too. She wore a tank top to cover the gun and a loose shirt to break up the outline -- the type of outfit she said she ordinarily wears this time of year in her southern climate.

Like me, she found the Trump Card very comfortable. Both of us like the soft neoprene holster. Unfortunately, she was a bit too slender for this holster, and would need to sew the strap a bit shorter in order to make the product fit her properly. She told me she would call Pistol Wear to find out if they would be willing to sell her a custom product. I'll let you know how that pans out, if I hear.

Finally, we tried her with a bra-based holster, the Flashbang from Looper Leather, with a KelTec P3AT. This slender woman wore, I think, an A cup bra. Yet the Flashbang did work for her with the tiny gun, and allowed her to conceal the firearm wearing just a tank top. She was unable to use a larger pistol in that location, but the P3AT worked just fine.

When I first saw the Flashbang, I was not immediately impressed. So many bad bra holsters have come and gone over the years, most of them flimsy weird cloth contraptions that do not protect the trigger and do not provide a reasonably efficient draw. The Flashbang is different! Made of Kydex, it holds the firearm securely in a clamshell grip and protects the trigger guard very reliably. The draw -- once learned, and you do have to learn -- is as efficient and as speedy as the draw from any belt holster you could name. It's good gear.

Like all holsters, Flashbang does not work for everyone. You have a stronger chance of it working for you if you ordinarily wear an underwire bra (it won't work without an underwire, and if you aren't already used to that, you'll find the transition somewhat uncomfortable). When you draw, you must keep your left elbow up and out of the way, to protect your brachial artery. And, of course, some women just aren't comfortable having a firearm near the girls. But for those willing to learn & work within these limitations, it can be a solid choice.

pax
Old February 28, 2013, 01:46 AM   #34
9mm

If I was a woman, I carry an full size in my purse, and a slim stack on me or revolver in cross bread holster.
Old March 1, 2013, 02:44 AM   #35
Ignition Override

The young lady at "Faliaphotography" has a nice Youtube Channel with several informative gun videos, including practical places are for women to conceal a handgun.
Can't remember whether she has a 9mm Beretta or .40 whichever.
She sometimes keeps a holster on her thigh, under the skirt, and demonstrates the advantages.
Old March 1, 2013, 04:58 PM   #36
sandie

I carry S+W Bodyguard .380. Small and comfortable. the only complaint is the trigger pull is LONG but that a safety thing I guess. I use Versacarry for holster, it is pin that the barrel goes on and then carry it inside belt. The complaint about that is that to reholster you need to take it off the belt to get the barrel back on the pin but is great otherwise!!!!
Old March 1, 2013, 06:29 PM   #37
IMTHDUKE

If it doesn't look like jewerly....my wife wont carry it.

Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig 1911 C3, P238, P938, P239, P232 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed) | Walter | PPK(German made 1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose | S&W|M&P
Old March 3, 2013, 08:29 AM   #38
ROCK6

My wife has been carrying concealed for the past 4-5 years. Cornered Cat and the Youtube videos from faliaphotography were very influential.

She’s somewhat petite and didn’t want to change her wardrobe too much. Her current pistols are:

Kel-Tech P3AT
Bersa Thunder 380
Ruger SR9c

It’s funny how the preference for concealed carry starts at the top but the preference for range training and practice starts at the bottom. The Bersa is by far her favorite choice and gives her the best options for concealed carry.

Even with the tighter jeans now worn, she can carry just about the small of the back in a Crossbreed holster; the only issue is when driving long distances and then she’ll switch to a shoulder holster. Her SR9c can be carried in the same fashion, but is just too bulky without a jacket or more significant covering. By far, the Crossbreed IWB is her preferred holster.

Her biggest addition to her clothing attire is a casual dress vest. They are cut low in the back and make a big difference in concealment when wearing tighter-fit clothing.

The smaller P3AT is great for more formal occasions and she uses a home-made holster that attaches to the braw, under her arm. It conceals well, but is a pain to get to; she wants to try the holster that attaches to front of the bra. I too am a big believer in keeping your firearm on your person if at all possible. My wife came to that same conclusion after a lot of research and reading.

A little creativity and slight modifications to the wardrobe, most women can do quite well at concealing a compact defensive handgun.

Best of luck!

ROCK6