The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 26, 2013, 10:29 PM   #1
radioflyer

Project "P30SK" (Salvaged HK P2000SK) Lots of Pics

A few weeks ago, I found a P2000sk 9mm on gun broker. I've been looking for this piece to be a primary carry in summer and a BUG in winter. The fact that it can use my P30 mags is a big plus to me.

Aside from these being unusually difficult to find, they're usually pretty pricy when they are found floating in the $1000 range so I was elated to find one on gunbroker with a buy it now for $650. The only catch is it only came with 1 magazine and had a very aggressive texture job done to the grips (see below)

I've had a fair amount of experience with grip modifications mostly on my AR, but also on my P30 and HK45 so re-working the grip seemed to be well worth the price difference.

My goal was to remove the excessive textured finish and contour the grip with deeper finger grooves like my P30 and create a textured finish with the same styling. Here's how the project went:

Stage 1: Remove existing Stipling

So far I've managed to get the contours I'm looking for, but the grip is now too smooth. I'm trying to figure out a way to add texture without over-doing it.

Compare with a factory grip.
Old February 26, 2013, 10:30 PM   #2
radioflyer

The depression for the thumbs was probably the most difficult as maintaining any sort of consistency was near impossible free-handing with the Dremel. I ended up using the dremel again with a super soft grit polishing tip to get the glossy finish. The result was pretty nice.

The left side may still need some additional work:

The right side looks much better:

It's worth noting that the contours are identical to my P30 (excluding the pinky finger)

I set out to map the planned textured areas using a black sharpie to on the pistol itself. I had considered using masking or painter's tape, but felt it would be more of a obstacle when it came to actually putting texture on the grip. I will outline each section individually as I'm adding texture with tape to make sure I stay in the lines.

I purchased a wood burner since i wanted the handle closer to the top for better control and I REALLY wanted the super precise tips that come with the package. I also stopped by home depot and picked up some #8-32 X 1/2" brass bolts. I sanded the top of the bolts flat then used the dremel cut-off wheel to cut notches in the bolts.

The first type was a 90 degree 2-way notch cut, The second was a 60 degree 3-way notch cut:
Old February 26, 2013, 10:34 PM   #3
radioflyer

I decided to start with the 3 way cross cut. Unfortunately it didn't offer a great deal of precision and I was only able to do large areas:

Not particularly satisfied, I opted for the precision angled pencil tip on the wood burner and made hundreds if not thousands of "mirco-stipling"
Old February 26, 2013, 10:40 PM   #4
radioflyer

Much better:

This is the same texture that would come from the factory, but I prefer a slightly less aggressive texture so I lightly hand sanded the textured areas with 220gr paper
Old February 26, 2013, 10:45 PM   #5
radioflyer

This is the final result:

And a comparison shot next to my P30:

I also installed the extended Mag release which is MUCH needed.
Old February 26, 2013, 11:45 PM   #6
blackamos

Good job. I like the look and you got it for the right price.
Old February 27, 2013, 12:36 AM   #7
SmokinSigs357

Really nice job!
Old February 27, 2013, 07:46 AM   #8
PSP

Count me as impressed! Now the real question... "how does she shoot"?
Old February 27, 2013, 08:21 AM   #9
K_Mac

Nice work!

"If you let "need" be a requirement and Government be the arbiter of that "need", then Liberty is as dead as King Tut." Jimbob86
Old February 27, 2013, 10:18 AM   #10
radioflyer

Don't know how it shoots yet, but personally I hate the trigger. I will be sending it out for a Light LEM conversion this week, then I'll have a range report.