The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 26, 2013, 07:59 AM   #1
Constantine

Trade: Glock 21 & 30 for HK USP 45

The Glocks are mine!

Yay or nay?

Glock 21sf box and 3 mags
Glock 30sf box and 2 mags
Along with a holster and dual fobus mag pouch.

For an HK USP 45 with 2 - 10 round mags and 3 - 12 round mags, streamlight TLR-1, and safariland holster.

Yay or Nay?!

Hurry!!!

Last edited by Constantine; February 26, 2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old February 26, 2013, 08:05 AM   #2
plouffedaddy

If you currently have the HK---yay. If you currently have the Glocks---nay.
Old February 26, 2013, 08:08 AM   #3
Constantine

Quote:
Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
If you currently have the HK---yay. If you currently have the Glocks---nay.
I have the Glocks, sorry! Just fixed the post. So no?

Price wise or quality wise?
Old February 26, 2013, 08:13 AM   #4
TunnelRat

I love HKs, but I would not make that trade.
Old February 26, 2013, 08:25 AM   #5
Constantine

>.< son of a biscuit eating bulldog! I should have asked this before. I haven't done anything yet but I just feel bad.

Any reasons my friends?
Old February 26, 2013, 08:29 AM   #6
Uncle Malice

Don't do it! I had a USP 45 for a while. Good gun... but I definitely prefer the G21. If anything, I'd say to sell them and get the Gen4 G21/G30. With the Gen4 texture the large frame Glocks really shine man.

The Gen4 G21 has become my favorite Glock ever... I also got the gen4 G20 and I'll probably get the G30 as well...
Old February 26, 2013, 08:39 AM   #7
TunnelRat

A USP is a tank, no doubt. But I've never personally been a huge fan of the triggers on the USP series. They're shorter with a better reset than the P series and HK45, but not nearly as smooth. They're bigger and blockier than need to be to tell the truth.

But more importantly, I don't think an HK is worth two Glocks. The HK boys over at HKPro would stone me for saying so, but I just don't. Glocks are perfectly serviceable weapons. They might not work for some people, such as myself, but for the people they do work for they are damn hard to beat. You're not gaining anything with the USP other than maybe cocked and locked carry. You're not gaining capacity for sure. Plus you're trading a full size pistol and a carry pistol for a full size pistol. I know you say you carry full size pistols, but I would much rather carry a Glock 30 than a USP 45 full size. It's going to be way more comfortable at the loss of all of 2 rounds. To me keeping something I know I have no problem carrying as opposed to something I think I should be able to carry is an easy choice.

Anyway, your call.
Old February 26, 2013, 09:15 AM   #8
droptrd

To me, one HK is not worth 2 glocks. HKs are harder to find at most gun shops so if you are looking at it for your collection try to get the guy to sweeten the deal.
Old February 26, 2013, 09:17 AM   #9
geetarman

Keep the Glocks. . .

Carpe Cerveza
Old February 26, 2013, 09:28 AM   #10
Strafer Gott

If you haven't fired the USP, you should. The trigger is different, and the recoil timing is different. You can train your way through this, but it is different, and I read about Glock wizards who complain about loss of speed and smoothness when shooting the USP. Then there are people who hate the safety-de-cock layout. I like the USP enough to own two, the Tactical and the USP9, but there's a lot of hate. If you love the striker system, the hammer is different. They really are very different from Glocks, which I also like. I think you should get a couple hundred jack money, to be fair value.
Take your pick and take your licks. I'd love to hear what you think of the USP, after you own one for awhile. I know you have the hands for it.
Bon chance!
Old February 26, 2013, 09:36 AM   #11
plouffedaddy

I have all of the guns in question and they're all good guns but since you have the Glocks the value just isn't there in return.

In today's market, used Glocks in common calibers go for $500 +- $50 and a used HK USP would be around $800 on a good day. Nothing wrong with the HK but 2 Glocks are just worth more.
Old February 26, 2013, 09:59 AM   #12
NWCP

I'm a total HK fan and own more than a few. I've carried full size HKs as well as compact. The USP is a fine platform and will last a lifetime. In all fairness I have to admit I have never liked Glocks. They just don't work for me. You might consider selling your Glocks and getting the new HK45, or 45C rather than a USP. They are a bit slimmer than the USP. I own both the USP 45 compact and the HK45C. The 45C is my carry piece. The full size HK USP can have their match trigger installed. All of my full size USPs have match triggers installed. I fell in love with the match trigger when I picked up the USP 45 Tactical. Get the HK and never look back. Just make sure it fits your hand well. When I carry mine it's in a Kramer IWB the same goes for my HK45C. Kramer makes a fine leather holster for a reasonable price. JMHO
Old February 26, 2013, 10:11 AM   #13
Constantine

I have a headache...

I saw it as "I never see USP's anymore (I've always wanted a USP45) and I always see Glock's. They're a dime a dozen, I can buy another if I want to" but you guys are making great points and such. It's kind of curving my ideas...

I can carry the HK USP, as TunnelRat said...from every post he's seen and others have seen. I carry full sized. Glock's work for me..nothing more. Can't get attached to one for some reason. Nothing against them..Nothing magical, like my P220, 1911's, P226, BHP's..etc...I don't know...

This is difficult...
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old February 26, 2013, 10:23 AM   #14
geetarman

Contantine,

This doctor prescribes some range time you get "well."

Get thee hence to the range and call me in the morning.

Carpe Cerveza
Old February 26, 2013, 11:19 AM   #15
Constantine

LOL I shot the 21 a while ago, and the 30 recently. It doesn't recoil like a subcom at all. Liked them both a lot.

I just realized I have...I have.....

-____- fml
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old February 26, 2013, 11:44 AM   #16
TunnelRat

Quote:
Glock's work for me..nothing more. Can't get attached to one for some reason.
Ah, you want to "like" your gun. I run into this situation all the time. The primary thing to remember is, it's a tool not an accessory. Every few months or so I look at my polymer pistols and say, "Man these things are boring". For instance even my new XDm 3.8 compact. Carries easier than my HKs, easy to shoot, easy to find accessories for. But it will always feel like a staple gun to me. It may be a staple gun, but it's staple gun that I can use darn well. If the new gun bug has bit you, save up some cash and then get the HK down the road. You've seen my most recent thread, don't be like me.
Old February 26, 2013, 11:45 AM   #17
DATL

I have a USP. 40, Glock 23 and 26 and love them all. The recoil is softer on the Hk, but I would not trade the two Glocks you mentioned on the one Hk. I ALWAYS kick myself at some point when I get rid of a gun (through trade or sale). My vote is to either just save and get an Hk or trade one of the guns and some cash for the Hk.
Old February 26, 2013, 12:21 PM   #18
9mm

Glocks are way better, 2 guns for 1? no thanks. HK is heavier/thicker for CCW.

The Glock 21/30 I could conceal, ankle/hip, like my 19 and 26.
Old February 26, 2013, 12:37 PM   #19
Noreaster

I recently shot the same HK45 USP and I wasn't impressed. I'm use to the Glocks and one trigger pull and being able to replace parts easily. Just my opinion but no I'd stay with Glock. Now the newer HK45, that is something I've always wanted to own.
Old February 26, 2013, 02:13 PM   #20
Constantine

Anyone out there think I should do the trade?!?
Old February 26, 2013, 02:14 PM   #21
Dan-O

Negative Ghost Rider.
Old February 26, 2013, 02:34 PM   #22
Constantine

Alright, thread closed in my eyes. I told the guy (who's now a friend) no. He may be joining the forum too.

I'll find a USP one day...When my pockets aren't to darn broken up.

For the record, I initiated the trade.

And he's selling to someone now for $1,000
Old February 26, 2013, 02:43 PM   #23
Strafer Gott

I would not trade those two highly desirable Glocks for the HK, as much as I like HKs. Around here those short frames are sought after. I would not wholesale them away. I know that deal would be what you would expect at a retailer, against a new HK. If they really are on the block, hey everybody gets the gun hots now and again. I've read about how much you like the Sig 220.
It's different, too, but as a hammer fired gun much closer to the HK. If accuracy is your goal, maybe you do want the HK. Reliability is pretty high on any of these, so that's not the issue. You'll find the Glock again before the HK.
Hope this helps. Feel free to rag on me if you do it and it doesn't work out.
On the plus side, you could enter the HK versus Sig fray, which is always good for a laugh.

Last edited by Strafer Gott; February 26, 2013 at 02:46 PM. Reason: HK vs. Sig wars entry ticket.
Old February 26, 2013, 02:55 PM   #24
BGutzman

Its the Glocks aftermarket support by third party companies that keeps it relevant. Yes, they go bang and so does pretty much everything else. Glock holds no edge in anything, except being masters of myth advertising.

Just because both (H&K and Glock) go bang doesn't make them equal..

Last edited by BGutzman; February 26, 2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old February 26, 2013, 07:04 PM   #25
noorked

I love HKs , but would pass. from the pictures it a 99 date code. before this panic , older & used USP .45 could be found around 5-600. had it been a USP match or MK23 the opinions might differ. The USP 45 will digest any .45 ammo you feed it