The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 23, 2013, 08:07 AM   #1
BoogieMan

Bullet combos

I am having trouble finding tried and true load data for the combos I have. I am loading 460s&w with power pistol, large rifle primer, and either Hornady 200 or 250gr JHP. I have data using 250gr Speer JHP (the pictures look the same). Is it safe and common to work up my load using the speer data? I have had similar issues with other calibers and bullet combos. Like 9mm with 125gr LRN -vs- 125gr JRN. In that case I was finally able to find the correct data for lead.
Old April 23, 2013, 08:16 AM   #2
superspirit

It has been my experience that lead and jacketed data do not interchange, but I have had no problems using data between different manufacturers of jacketed bullets. as long as the data was for the same style bullet. As always start low and work up till you find the load that your gun likes. there is no easy way, as every gun has it's own sweet spot. best of luck to you.
Old April 23, 2013, 09:33 AM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

What really matters is the space inside the case under the bullet. The only 250gr JHP by Speer that QuickLoad shows is their Gold Dot. It says that bullet is 0.612" long. It thinks the Hornady XTP is 0.682" long.

If I put in a max, max load of W296 with the GD and then substitute the XTP at the same OAL, I get a pressure increase of about 2,500 psi.

According to QL, seating the XTP 0.010 shallower than the GD would give the exact same pressure.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old April 23, 2013, 05:23 PM   #4
BoogieMan

BP- how do you determine the pressure increase? Is there software that I can use to mix components safely or are you taking a educated guess? The difference in the bullet length in this case is substantial.
Old April 23, 2013, 07:02 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

It's a software based guess.

It's called QuickLoad.

I wouldn't trust the absolute values without testing but the relative changes should be reasonable.
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.