The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 22, 2013, 02:01 AM   #1
dhud838

AK 47 HELP!

My friend offered to sell me his custom Century Arms WASR 10 AK 47 for $750.The receiver shell and barrel are stock while the innards are all custom, custom stock, muzzle break, and magwell was professionally redone by a gunsmith.The slide is chrome and the trigger is the otlriginal tapco g2, but had work done by the gunsmith for a smoother pull It also has a magpul sling and optic mount and comes with a 30 round tapco clip and gun case. All work done on it was done by a gunsmith.He said that it has 1000 rounds through it.Im just wondering if this is a good deal or not.Here is a picture below of the rifle.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old February 22, 2013, 03:25 AM   #2
docnyt

AK 47 HELP!

In today's market, any "assault" rifle under $1000 is a good deal. Below $800 is a great deal.
Old February 22, 2013, 03:51 AM   #3
JD0x0

As long as the barrel hasn't overheated or been abused, I'd probably jump on that, in today's market.
Old February 22, 2013, 08:32 AM   #4
spacecoast

Seems like a reasonable deal, especially in today's market. An adjustable stock was the best thing I ever did for my AK (followed closely by the Hogue grip like the one you pictured).

The mag release looks more complex than mine, maybe that's a California thing? Also, I'm surprised he didn't have the safety changed out or modified to provide a hold-back slot for the bolt handle as long as it was being worked on by a smith.

Old February 22, 2013, 12:47 PM   #5
Venom1956

I'd pass on it personally. most of the custom work is just cosmetic stuff. Tapco mags are cheap and plentiful. At the end of the day its still just a WASR with a bunch of plastic added to it for 750?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph.
Old February 22, 2013, 03:11 PM   #6
Skans

I'd pass. I can't see spending anything more than a few hundred dollars on an AK built around a 1mm receiver. Tapco parts are common us parts; the rest is just for show.
Old February 22, 2013, 09:30 PM   #7
MagnumWill

$750 is a hard pill to swallow for a WASR, I'm not gonna lie. If it's worth it to you- I mean, you ARE AK-less right now- personally, I'll wait for tax time. You'll see some real soon on GB
Old February 22, 2013, 09:32 PM   #8
lee n. field

Quote:
My friend offered to sell me his custom Century Arms WASR 10 AK 47 for $750.The receiver shell and barrel are stock while the innards are all custom, custom stock, muzzle break, and magwell was professionally redone by a gunsmith.The slide is chrome and the trigger is the otlriginal tapco g2, but had work done by the gunsmith for a smoother pull It also has a magpul sling and optic mount and comes with a 30 round tapco clip and gun case. All work done on it was done by a gunsmith.He said that it has 1000 rounds through it.Im just wondering if this is a good deal or not.Here is a picture below of the rifle.
How bad do you want an personal defense rifle?

Quote:
At the end of the day its still just a WASR with a bunch of plastic added to it for 750?
I tend to agree.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 22, 2013, 10:07 PM   #9
Willie Sutton

Childish tacti-cool crap added to what is essentially a $400 rifle does not a good deal make...

Pass.

Willie

Old February 23, 2013, 06:13 PM   #10
lee n. field

Quote:
The mag release looks more complex than mine, maybe that's a California thing?
I saw that mag release yesteday on, I think, AIM Surplus' webiste. Appears to clamp to the existing one and turn it into something you can operate with (hopefully) a bit less fumbling.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; February 23, 2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old February 24, 2013, 02:04 AM   #11
Yung.gunr

Yeah, that mag release looks more like a "tactical" add on.

As far as buying it, I guess the cost is all relative to the current craziness of the market. If it were Oct 2012 I would say no way in heck.

If you are really thinking the future sale of rifles such as this will be outlawed I would say jump on it right away.

If you are confident that nothing will happen as far as AWB then pass on this one and buy a better quality one later.
Old February 24, 2013, 06:50 PM   #12
Venom1956

It needs to be rivet on.

Personally I think my mag release is totally cooler...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513347 (Shameless Plug)
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph.