mitranoc

George Washington
Old June 11, 2013, 08:32 PM   #27
allaroundhunter

Mitranoc, are you a southpaw?
Old June 14, 2013, 02:56 PM   #28
bedlamite

Quote:
The place for the light is whereever you don't mind being blown to heck when the BG fires at the light. Of course if your head is behind the light, you won't mind much of anything. Ever.
You have a fundamental misunderstanding of how to use the light. It's not for searching. Walking around with the light on would be stupid. It's used with a momentary switch for target identification when aiming, and only if necessary.

Old June 14, 2013, 03:36 PM   #29
Striker1

Sure it can be used for searching.
Old June 15, 2013, 09:50 PM   #30
Boomer58cal

Where I live it gets so dark at night you can't ID your own hand in front of you face. Lights are a must! Anyone without a light on their HD gun is simply not looking at things clearly. Maybe somebody should shine some light on the problem for them.

I have my light mounted in differant places on weapons with differant uses. I perfer a forgrip mount but I've also use a scope mounted light on one of my pest control guns. I also prefer lights with an ajustable beam. My tacticool 10/22's and sks have forgrip mounted light I can hit with my right thumb( lefty ). Works great for me anyhow. Ymmv

Boomer
Old June 17, 2013, 07:23 PM   #31
HKGuns

Conventional wisdom has you put it on the outboard of your shooting side. The reasoning being so your light doesn't get tangled in your other gear. (Right handed shooter on the right hand side of the rifle.)

Not having a lot of "other" gear, I prefer mounting mine on the inboard side so I can manipulate the switch with my support hand. I don't like doing the reach around to manipulate the switch and I don't want a fore grip mounted tape switch. I'm sure it is more important to someone who is loaded down with a bunch of crap while on a mission.
Old June 18, 2013, 03:50 PM   #32
emcon5

It's tactical.

Old June 18, 2013, 04:22 PM   #33
Boomer58cal

You have a link handy so I can pick one of those tacticool lights?

Boomer

P.S. Are those mil spec zip ties? I want black ones for mine.
Old June 18, 2013, 04:35 PM   #34
emcon5

Looks like they come in Tactical black now:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rayovac-EF...ntern/22086119

I may stick some Velcro on mine to make it tacticaler.

Unfortunately only one zip-tie is mil-spec black, I ran out and had to use the civilian models.
Old June 18, 2013, 06:03 PM   #35
Boomer58cal

Thanks!

I was thinking( i know I know)... I'll just tacticool super glue the bat sighnal to my tacticool cabela's hat.

I don't want it to though off the balance of my gun.

Ummm.... tacticool ummm... Boomer
Old June 18, 2013, 08:40 PM   #36
FireForged

your back pocket
Old June 19, 2013, 03:47 PM   #37
Boomer58cal

Hey Fireforged.

How do you expect one of our tacticool minded friends to hold a light in one hand and an AR with 30 lbs of dodads on it in the other hand well shooting accurately. I've seen it done but way not just mount it on the gun and shoot with two hands.

Boomer
Old June 19, 2013, 04:42 PM   #38
allaroundhunter

Quote:
I've seen it done but way not just mount it on the gun and shoot with two hands.
If you have to use two hands to accurately shoot your tactical AR then you haven't lifted enough tactical weights, nor eaten enough tactical Wheaties.
Old June 20, 2013, 10:21 AM   #39
csmsss

Quote:
You have a fundamental misunderstanding of how to use the light. It's not for searching. Walking around with the light on would be stupid. It's used with a momentary switch for target identification when aiming, and only if necessary.
What you're describing is a scenario where you have your muzzle covering something you haven't identified and cannot identify without a flashlight. And that's something you're planning for?
Old June 20, 2013, 11:04 AM   #40
allaroundhunter

Re: Best spot for a "tactical" flashlight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmsss View Post
What you're describing is a scenario where you have your muzzle covering something you haven't identified and cannot identify without a flashlight. And that's something you're planning for?
I am, yes. With a long gun you don't have the luxury of having a free hand to operate a non weapon mounted light.

However, I also keep a weapon mounted light on my home defense pistol because I fully anticipate having to use my weak hand to perform another task. While you may be breaking one of the 4 rules in that situation, there are others that actually keep you from pulling the trigger until you have identified your target.
Old June 20, 2013, 01:56 PM   #41
Boomer58cal

How about your wife/girlfriend/daughter or if you're small in size. Weight is an issue for those who are not 6'4" 280lbs like myself. Also not everyone can afford little one hand friendly HD guns. It's pretty tough to one hand a 12ga shot gun. Just my opinion.

Boomer
Old June 21, 2013, 01:47 AM   #42
Jim243

emcon5, you win the prize for tacticool.

Jim

Light on this rifle is a 4 function one, white light, green light, laser (center of light), strobe light. It also serves as a pointing device, by the time the BG acquires the light, 3 rounds are already going down stream.

Light is mounted underneath the barrel at the bayonet lug off the gas port on a mount designed for that use.

Jim