The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 19, 2013, 05:06 PM   #1
Fire_Moose

Whoops! (Neck sizing)

Well right now I'm in the process of working up loads while fire forming brass. I had to pull a few bullets last night that I sat too deep. When trying to redo them, I noticed the bullets were slipping in a little too easy.

I have not set up my neck sizer yet (Lee collet) but I noticed the details capping pin seems to be needed to work.

Is there a way to neck size without ejecting a good primer?
Old February 19, 2013, 05:17 PM   #2
hooligan1

Remove decapping pin, if the die doesn't work without decapping pin, get an RCBS.
Old February 19, 2013, 05:17 PM   #3
olddav

Pull out the decapping pin?
Old February 19, 2013, 06:04 PM   #4
Fire_Moose

Re: Whoops! (Neck sizing)

Oh it will work without the decap pin? When I tried w/o it, the ram just moved up to the bottom of the die and that was it...
Old February 19, 2013, 08:39 PM   #5
higgite

The rod that runs down the middle of the die is the neck sizing mandrel. The die won't work without it. The pin sticking out the end of the mandrel is the decapping pin. It isn't made to be removable on the Lee collet dies that I have. But, you could cut the decapping pin off the mandrel and neck size without decapping, and buy a new mandrel from Lee for $4.00 for when you want to neck size and decap at the same time.

But, if you just have a few primed cases that you need to re-neck size, what I would do is use the die as is, with decapping pin, and s-l-o-w-l-y push the live primer out and then resize the case necks as normal. Then reprime the cases.

Also, if you ran a case up into the die without the mandrel in it, make sure the collet is loose and not stuck in the neck of the die.
Old February 19, 2013, 09:39 PM   #6
Fire_Moose

Re: Whoops! (Neck sizing)

Thanks hig! Actually I have a spare mandrel that came with my dies. As far as I can tell its Identical. Funny I didn't think about doing that.
Old February 20, 2013, 01:08 AM   #7
chris in va

Check both mandrel's diameter with a caliper. Chances are they are two different sizes.

For example my x39 die set came with a 308 and 311.