The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 18, 2013, 11:44 PM   #1
Marco Califo

Quickload Request

Quickload Request - I may buy it, help me decide.
308 LC brass CCI #34 primers, H335/WC844 powder, Barnes 140 gr MPG flatbase (lead free frangible).
Since I know Quickload can give me load data (which I do not have for this), and a lot of charts, etc, I would like to see what is available. PM me and I will send you and email address where I can receive any attachments, if posting here wont work. Thanks.
Old February 19, 2013, 01:41 PM   #2
SL1

QuickLOAD has that Barnes bullet in its database. And, of course, it has default data for the .308 Winchester.

But, to get a reasonable assessment for the performance in you specific gun, we need the barrel length and the COL to which you will load the bullet.

We also should have a volume for a case that has been fired in your gun and NOT resiszed. If you are just trying to see what QuickLOAD can provide, I can do it with a default case volume, but that tends to be a little on the small side so as not to underestimate pressure. That tends to make the charge weights a little on the small side, too.

So, at least give us the barrel lenght and COL.

And, promise not to use the outputs without checking them against a proper load manual, first. When no manual listings are available, it is usually best to start low and use a chronograph to help tune QuickLOAD as you progress to higher loads, rather than to just assume that it is right-on without checking.

By the way, QuickLOAD has no provisions for assessing the effects of different primers. Or the amount of freebore, for that matter.

SL1
Old February 19, 2013, 10:37 PM   #3
Marco Califo

I will get back to you with those - all three at once:
1. Case volume of an empty: Unfortunately I just sized all my fireds. How should I measure this? Shoot, trim to spec, then weigh distilled water volume? Or measure in CC's? Or empty case weight?
2. COAL will be Barnes spec for this bullet.
3. Barrel length 24" Savage bolt.
Yes I will use starting loads and work up. I will want the start and max. Barnes does not list this powder.
Old February 21, 2013, 07:55 PM   #4
SL1

Marco,

Sorry to take so long to get back. Internet access from my current location is spotty, and my schedule is not my own.

Regarding case capacity: We need it in the fired condition. Just weigh it empty, then fill with water and weigh again. The difference in grains is the number we need. We also need the length of the same case, without any trimming or sizing between measuring the water capacity and measuring the length. It might pay to do a few and see how much difference there is.

To get an accurate capacity measurement, you need to get the water into the case without bubbles. I use an eyedropper. And, you should to get the surface of the water across the case mouth flat. I ue the eyedropper to add or subtract a little water until a reflection of a bright object with a straight edge (for instance, a window or a flourescent tube) looks straight instead of bowed. I can repeat a capacity measurement to 0.1 grain with that technique. But, capacities of even the same lot of fired cases will probably vary by more than 0.1 grain. And, cases from different manufacturers can vary in capacity by a few grains.

SL1