The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 18, 2013, 01:59 AM   #1
Kimio

AK tritium irons?

I'm a little curious about this, has anyone installed tritium sights on their AK's before?

I was looking at these as a possible gift for a friend of mine who owns an AK and does a lot of shooting in the evening.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/meprolig...47-rifles.html

anyone have some suggestions?
Old February 18, 2013, 07:55 AM   #2
Venom1956

I'll toss my two cents in.
I am putting tritium on my ak but I am going with XS sights front post with a black rear. I think the XS will be easier to see in all lighting conditions.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph.
Old February 18, 2013, 06:05 PM   #3
seanc

I have an Ameriglo AK Tritium Front Post and like it a lot. I'm not sure you need the rear sights so much for night shooting. Not much precision work done at night with these types of sights. If you want precision at any distance, you'd want some kind of scope setup. Meprolight's are good sights, though.
Old February 18, 2013, 07:05 PM   #4
AK103K

I have the sights in the link on a couple of AK's.

My biggest complaint is, the rear dots are to big, and fuzz out. The front dot is fine. I have Mepros on a shotgun, and the dots on the rear sight are smaller, and work much better. I just wish the AK's sights used the same smaller vials on the rear. I actually put the stock rear sight back on two of the guns I have, and just having the front lit works fine.

Another issue is, they reduce the useful range of the gun down to about 200 yards. The front sight is to big in width, to be useful beyond that, and even at 200 yards, it can be a challenge. They are fine for fast, close up shooting, but they are lacking if youre a bulls eye type target shooter.

I also have Aimpoints on a couple of the same AK's, and prefer them over the night sights. A lot easier to use, and you dont lose anything range wise.

Zeitgeist - The Movie
Old February 19, 2013, 09:29 PM   #5
bamaranger

sights

I've pondered sights or optics on an AK for awhile. As an alternative I bought a cheap set of German night sights and am surprised how much they help.

So much so that I am once again giving serious thought to the xS Big Dots.
Old February 19, 2013, 10:54 PM   #6
AK103K

A good red dot really gives you the best of all worlds.

With the right mount, you also get a cowitness with your irons, so you really give up nothing.

Zeitgeist - The Movie
Old February 21, 2013, 07:28 PM   #7
Bart Noir

Quote:
...they are lacking if you're a bulls eye type target shooter.
This, in a thread about AKs!

Bart Noir
Old February 21, 2013, 07:37 PM   #8
AK103K

I know.

They get a bad rap for accuracy, when in reality, they really arent all that bad with the stock sights.

Zeitgeist - The Movie
Old February 22, 2013, 03:31 PM   #9
Bart Noir

With my eyes, I need all the help I can get. I can use the iron sights but not all that well.

That is why my Yugo underfolder will get a Trijicon RMR as soon as it arrives. This is the non-electronic version, so my AK will be good to go even after the Norte Koreans detonate the nuke over the USA and cause the electromagnetic pulse that wipes out every electronic item in the country.

Yup, I'll have a functioning red-dot even then. Well, as the tritium decays it will get dimmer and dimmer in the dark

Bart Noir
Who looks forward to sighting in the AK yet again.