Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

View Poll Results: Do you get thumb rub shooting J-frames
YES 2 4.35%
NO 44 95.65%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 16, 2013, 05:50 PM   #1
TxFlyFish

Avoiding Cylinder Release Thumb Rub in J-frames

For those of you who own J-frames or smaller what do you do reduce thumb rub/burn, especially under heavier mag loads?

I know I can change my grip, but I want to see some mods folks have successfully done to reduce thumb injury.
Old February 16, 2013, 06:14 PM   #2
jglsprings

I'm sorry. Until this thread I've never even heard of "thumb rub".

I shoot lots of magnum loads - never happened to me.

I teach a lot of new shooters and I've never seen one of them do it.

BTW - I don't have small hands either - I have "man hands" - With a tip of the hat to Jerry Seinfeld.

Commas save lives...
Old February 16, 2013, 06:36 PM   #3
TxFlyFish

the best way i can describe it is that it starts digging and taking off skin at the joint of my right thumb that sits closest to the cylinder release. It doesn't happen with the small frame colts but I've read reports on some SW J frames. The reports are usually with newer style thumb latches
Old February 16, 2013, 06:59 PM   #4
Arizona Smithshooter

Never heard of such a thing. I have been shooting my 642 for almost ten years...do get a sore trigger finger after about 100 rounds. Think you need to examine how you hold your gun.......
Old February 16, 2013, 07:48 PM   #5
TxFlyFish

hmmm thats strange ...just doing a random search on sw forums this isn't a particularly obscure issue with SW thumb latches. I guess I'll ask there.
Old February 16, 2013, 08:38 PM   #6
Dan-O

I have a M&P 340, and large hands, and get thumb rub like crazy.

One reason I prefer the cylinder release on Ruger double actions.
Old February 16, 2013, 09:47 PM   #7
Steve in PA

I, like the other have never heard of this issue. I have large hands and also own a 642, so I'm going to assume that it is more of a personal shooting style.
Old February 16, 2013, 09:52 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have what I think are average size hands and no problems with "thumb rub". I grip the gun tightly with the thumb down and out of the way of the thumb piece.

FWIW, I don't like the "modern" rubber grips as I don't feel they give me enough control, so I replace them with the old style wood grips, of which I have a goodly supply thanks to those who wanted the rubber kind.

Jim
Old February 16, 2013, 10:06 PM   #9
Nanuk

I have very large hands and have been shooting magnum S&W revolvers for over 30 years and never heard of it. How are you gripping the gun that this is an issue?
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old February 16, 2013, 10:20 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

I haven't had an issue with it.
My thumb is well clear, while gripping the revolver.

Are you choking up on the grip (gripping it too high)?
Old February 16, 2013, 11:48 PM   #11
TxFlyFish

For me it's an issue primarily with J frames, especially the newer style latches. I have to consciously force my strong hand thumb lower otherwise it will get bloody real quick. With L/N frames and older style latch j frames I can maintain a more relaxed grip. Also I can maintain a relaxed grip on the Colt DS and the colt cylinder latch doesn't bother my thumb. I am not recoil shy and have shot many revolvers but these SW latches are very sharp. I usually grip with both thumbs down, I don't cross/wrap my thumbs

When you guys grip the 64x you can see how close your thumbs joint is to the cylinder latch...the newer latches are especially bad for me. I've fired couple older pre lock J frames and they don't rub nearly as bad

Last edited by TxFlyFish; February 16, 2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old February 17, 2013, 12:03 AM   #12
9mm

Never heard of this thumb rub...
Old February 17, 2013, 01:34 AM   #13
alex0535

No, and I have never heard of it either.

My first thought though is that there is not anything for my thumb to rub against because I shoot left handed.
Old February 17, 2013, 08:01 AM   #14
savit260

A number of years ago I had a .357 model 60 that would rip appart my right thumb at the knuckle with stout .357 loads. No issues with moderate .357's or .38's.

Never had that problem with any other .357 J frame, incuding the scandium ones. Just that one particular model 60
Old February 17, 2013, 11:56 PM   #15
Nanuk

With my normal grip my knuckle is a good 3/8" from the latch. It may be your grips, how you hold it, your hand size or all three.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old February 18, 2013, 09:22 AM   #16
shouldazagged

Because of severe arthritis I switched the grips on my 640 to Pachmayr Compacs that allow my little finger to come into play. Still readily concealable in the holstered pocket carry I prefer, but easier for me to control, and the grip design keeps the knuckle of my thumb clear of the cylinder release. My hands are medium-to-large.
Old February 18, 2013, 09:37 AM   #17
jad0110

I'm right handed, and if I grip my 642 (with stock Uncle Mike's boot grips) the same way as I grip all my other revolvers, I frequently get thumb gouging on the inside of my right thumb from the cylinder release. Yes, I grip my guns high up on the frame for better control / faster follow-up shots. But for some reason even when I grip the 642 in the traditional place (lower), I still get bit. I find I have to move my right thumb to the side a bit, at which point it isn't doing anything to assist with gripping the gun. I can't recall if I've ever tried putting a band-aid in the spot before you shoot, you could try that.

Quote:
For me it's an issue primarily with J frames, especially the newer style latches.
Bingo, I think you may[/I] have found a solution! Install the older style cylinder release on your 642. I'm almost certain the part is interchangeable, but others can confirm. It does have a much lower profile around the bottom edge, so it should provide more clearance to our right thumbs. I'm going to have to research that myself to see if it is feasible, it might just work, or at least make the problem less irritating.
Old February 18, 2013, 10:40 PM   #18
TxFlyFish

I feel like the guy on the Samsung iPhone bashing commercial...I didn't think of that, the latch seems pretty easy to swap out! Thanks!!
Old February 19, 2013, 02:02 PM   #19
Don P

Dremel with a sanding disc will change the thumb rub. Did my J-Frame all along the lower edge of the release as well as some of the lower checkering on the release.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.