The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 17, 2013, 10:27 AM   #1
Hunter Customs

Springfield EMP 9mm

One benifit of being in the business I'm in is that I get to test fire several different types of guns after I've worked on them.

The other day a customer of mine that I've done a lot of work for dropped off a Springfield EMP in 9mm caliber for a front sight change and requested I test fire the gun.

I was impressed with the workmanship in the little gun and the way it felt in the hand.
After test firing the little gun I was really impressed and it's at the top of my list for 9mm guns.

As a matter of fact I'm thinking of getting myself one, of course I know as soon as my wife shoots it, it will no longer be mine.

Anyone thinking about a 9mm carry gun I can honestly say I highly recommend the Springfield EMP.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old February 17, 2013, 11:38 AM   #2
Peter M. Eick

I can't agree with you more. My emp 9mm is sitting on the shelf right this minute. Great little gun.

The one thing I find is the butt needs to be rounded a hair. I know mine sort of jabs me when I wear it behind the hip. I am thinking about sending it in to Springfield to make that minor change someday.
Old February 17, 2013, 11:54 AM   #3
Microgunner

+1 to that.

I've owned mine for a few years now and just received my new Kramer holster for it. Nice.

My only complaint, I really don't much care for ambidextrous safety levers.
Old February 17, 2013, 02:49 PM   #4
Texshooter

They are so cool. Beautiful but

Pricey
Old February 17, 2013, 08:57 PM   #5
Hairbag

I have a EMP40 and will never part with it. It's a real quality piece and handles the 40 S&W really well.
Old February 18, 2013, 09:02 AM   #6
Hunter Customs

Peter,
I've not carried one and when using a holster I do carry the gun high on my belt and tight to my body, so I may experience the same thing as you.
However that's a pretty simple thing to remedy.

Microgunner,
I agree about the ambi safeties I'm not fond of them either.
I also don't like oversized paddles on thumb safeties, but I can als remedy that pretty easy, and most likely would if I get one.

Texshooter,
I agree they are pricey compared to the plastic guns but the little Springfield seems to be a quality piece.
Plus they have a trigger system I'm used to and shoot well.
The one I shot has a trigger pull that's really sweet and that was right out of the box.

Hairbag,
I've wondered how the 40 would be, I would love to try one.

Overall I believe Springfield has hit a home run with this one and I plan on getting one as soon as my distributors get some in stock.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old February 18, 2013, 10:18 AM   #7
ScottRiqui

I really like the EMP .40 - it's my everyday carry gun. The only problem I had from the start was that it wouldn't always lock the slide back when the magazine was empty. Springfield sent me a new slide stop pin with a slightly different profile, and that fixed the problem 100%

Recoil is a little "snappy", but it's manageable. I'm very impressed at the fit & finish, and how good of a job Springfield did in getting a 3" 1911 to run right.
Old February 18, 2013, 05:12 PM   #8
rem44m

I have lusted for an EMP ever since I handled one a year ago. They are a work of art! I just don't have 1100 to spend on a new gun right now. One day

"If gun owners are as violent as anti-gunners said we are, there wouldn't be any anti's left"
Old February 18, 2013, 05:49 PM   #9
kennethlee

Me too!

I have one in 40. It didn't feed well at first but after a trip back to Springfield it works well. I find it is very accurate, easy to shoot and fits my hand well. It is one of my carry guns.
Old February 18, 2013, 05:55 PM   #10
shootniron

I am going to get the EMP 9mm sometime in the not too distant future. It has been on my list for a while.
Old February 18, 2013, 07:18 PM   #11
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
As a matter of fact I'm thinking of getting myself one, of course I know as soon as my wife shoots it, it will no longer be mine.
Be CAREFUL. It happened to me!

I'm wanting an EMP40 after owning the EMP9. For the R&R that went into it, fit and finish, features, and overall quality parts, there's no wonder why people can't keep them on their shelves long.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old February 18, 2013, 08:02 PM   #12
whippoorwill

Picked one up about two weeks ago. Haven't shot it yet, but looking forward to that. Very nicely done.
Old February 18, 2013, 09:38 PM   #13
KyJim

Well, there you go. You've got me thinking about another pistol now.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old February 18, 2013, 11:01 PM   #14
Hairbag

I have to take mine from the safe and fondle it at least 1x a week I can't bring myself too shoot it! Watch out it will just be a safe queen. It's like a piece of jewlery.

Last edited by Hairbag; February 23, 2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old February 19, 2013, 10:33 AM   #15
dajowi

Here's mine back from Springfield custom shop:

GUN.emp.new.#1.jpg

Last edited by dajowi; February 19, 2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old February 19, 2013, 11:58 AM   #16
whippoorwill

dajowi... what all did you have done? I see the checkering on the front of the grip, which is very nice! Anything else? Stainless frame?
Old February 19, 2013, 01:55 PM   #17
dajowi

Replaced ambi safety with a single side.

Machine checkered (20 lpi) front strap.

Rounded butt and M/S housing.

Nickel Teflon complete pistol.

SA did a very nice job and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.
Old February 19, 2013, 03:54 PM   #18
Hairbag

I would like to do the single side on mine. What was the turnaround time?
Old February 19, 2013, 04:07 PM   #19
west5757

I fondled the EMP for years before I found one used. It is a fine gun to shoot. My wife has taken it over though. She even calls it her gun. I guess I should get one for me now.
Old February 19, 2013, 05:48 PM   #20
alex0535

I have looked around through the compact 1911 style pistols, and came across the Springfield EMP.

Being a left handed shooter, the ambi safety appealed to me. I like the looks of the gun.

I wish it had a more appealing price tag, but it isn't so bad that I have ruled out owning one some day. Its just one more on the long list of guns I want to own in my lifetime.
Old February 19, 2013, 05:54 PM   #21
dajowi

The turn around time was about 3 months. I would assume that it would take less time to replace the safety.
Old February 19, 2013, 09:14 PM   #22
Hunter Customs

ScottRiqui,
I'm not surprised that Springfield took care of your problem, in my opinion they have the best customer service in the business.

rem44m,
My dear old Mother ( God rest her soul) used to tell me all good things are worth wiating for, count your pennies your dollars will take care of themselves.

kennethlee,
It sounds like Springfields customer service stepped up to the plate again.

shootniron,
I hope you have better luck then I have trying to find one. I've checked all my distributors and none of them have any, I did get on their will call list though.

Shane Tuttle,
I hear ya, I've been down this road before, the only good thing is when the wife picks a new one I get the old one back.
However I may have to keep the EMP hid for awhile so I can enjoy it a little because I believe when she gets her hands on it there will be no more trades after that.

wippoorwill,
I'll bet when you do shoot it you will love it.

KyJim,
I'm just trying to spur the economy.

dajowi,
Nice, Springfields Custom Shop does good work.

west5757,
That's most likely what will happen to mine. My best bet would be to just go ahead and get two when they are available if I want one to carry and shoot.

alex0535,
I hear ya, but it could be worse. You could be in mine and west5757 shoes it looks like we will have to spring for two of them.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old February 20, 2013, 05:40 PM   #23
5R milspec

When I first put my hands on one I knew right then I would own one.For a year or so I would go by my FFL dealer and hold one for a few minutes,then give it back.Then tax time came around and I went back to see if he still had the one I wanted.My dealer went on to tell me that a guy just brought back two,he had bought them for he and his wife.Was all so told that he had only shot one,and didn't like it so he then came back and traded out the two EMP's for two other pistols.

Now hold on to your seat,I only paid $950 for my EMP 9mm.I ended up with the on the guy never shot.My dealer let me have it for what he paid the guy back per pistol.He took a big hit for the pistols but I sure didn't complain about it.

Now I'll say it went back one time for a feed problem and for the front sight.( didn't have the little glass glow in the dark pice in it ) But SA did a really good job a fixing the two problems with a qiuck turn around.I 'll go on to say that I carry it everyday and love it to death.I wouldn't let go of it for nothing.I hope to own one a 40 too.

The only ohter thing I did to my EMP was that I polished the feed ramp.I would say that this would be a must to do when you first get one.As of today I have yet had a problem with my EMP.It'll shoot what ever you feed it,and its really accurate for a 3" barrel.
Old February 20, 2013, 06:13 PM   #24
jimbob86

For the folks that love the gun, but don't like the price: You only buy it once. That hurts at the time, but less than seeing it at the store every time you go ..... and certainly less than being reminded every time you shoot whatever you bought instead that you settled for a lesser gun.

It's what? 2-4 hundred bucks more than most other production 1911's? That's what? 2-4 nice steak dinners for two? 3 tanks of gas? You could save $200+ pretty qucikly by making your own coffee instead of paying Starbucks to do it for you..... cancel cable/dishTV ..... roll your own ammo, whatever. If you want it, find a way.

I really like mine. Not selling it.

http://nefirearm.com/
Old February 20, 2013, 09:26 PM   #25
Hunter Customs

5R milspec,
Congradulations on the good deal you got on your EMP.

jimbob86,
I agree with what you said, I think once the gun's purchased and one starts shooting it the pain of purchase will subside very quickly.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com