The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 17, 2013, 09:10 AM   #1
Vinnie Harold

Decision: used Wilson CQB or new Baer P 2

Guys,

You have helped me in the past and I am not sure if any is a bad decision, but what would you experts do:
I found these two.

1 - The CQB is the standard base model with nothing extra into it except night sights. It looks in great condition to me, but then again I really do not know what to look for. It is $2600 out the door.

2 - The Premier 2 is new with a mag well and the 1-1.5 in. shot guarantee for $2200 out the door. Again nothing extra but what I mentioned.

The Wilson I have had in my hand (great feel), but the Baer is an internet sale through a friend who has seen the NIB and vouches for it.

The new Baer for $400 less than the old Wilson, but is any semi-custom better than a Wilson?

Thanks for your help. In the end, I will have to jump by self, but you advice can make the landing smoother.
Old February 17, 2013, 11:03 AM   #2
gunluver

I think either one would serve you well. Decide which you want first....you can always buy the other brand later.
Remember...Wilson's are warranted for life. If you ever have a problem, they will take care of it
Old February 17, 2013, 11:48 AM   #3
Vinnie Harold

gunluver,

I love your attitude...."you can always buy the other one later."

I know a lot of guys who would say I am crazy for spending $2000 plus on a firearm, so I am figuring to make this one great purchase only ONCE!

That is my problem. There are better ways to spend to $2000, but this is a 65th
birthday present to myself.

Gotta love ya!

Thanks
Old February 17, 2013, 12:51 PM   #4
gunluver

Vinnie,
I had to sell some of my collection off to fund the one Wilson I have, so money doesn't grow on trees for me either. Unfortunately, now that I've spoiled myself I want more.

If you're intent is to only buy one, figure out which one fits closest to exactly what you want and go that way. For me it was Wilson first. If I can eventually afford more, I may get a Baer and a Brown. By the way, my CQB is the smoothest and nicest shooting gun I own.
Old February 17, 2013, 01:15 PM   #5
Double Naught Spy

I have 5 CQBs. I am VERY pleased with the model.

Just curious on the CQB, is the bluing completely gone in the pattern of a shell case on the breech face? Is the bluing completely gone on the breech face? Is it virtually all there?

I actually kept round counts at one point and if the bluing is completely gone in the pattern of the shell case, a nice bare circle with maybe some feed scraping into the circle, then the gun has over 500 rounds through it. If the breech face is missing most of its bluing, it has undoubtedly been shot quite a bit and cleaned with a wire brush quite a bit to get it clean.

If most of the bluing is in place where the shell case sits flush against the breech face, it likely has less than 100 rounds through it.

I love my CQBs, but there is no reason to pay that kind of money for one if it has been shot quite a bit, not because it might not be worth it, but because that is somebody else's wear and tear and maintenance and you don't know what that has been.

Of course, all this assumes it isn't a stainless model and that it hasn't had the breech face reblued.

Oh, and I am down to 4 CQBs because my wife stole one. She likes them too.
Old February 17, 2013, 04:17 PM   #6
Vinnie Harold

Double Naught Spy,

Thanks for the heads up on something to look for to tell ware.
I will go tomorrow to look at what you told me!

Many thanks..this is info I will keep with me for future purchases.
Old February 17, 2013, 09:15 PM   #7
Ole 5 hole group

Well, for my money the Baer PII with 1.5" option is the way better of the two relative to accuracy - that is, if you're good enough to utilize that degree of accuracy - that being a master class for score shooter. They will both be equal as to reliability and function. The Wilson will have a big edge on the Baer relative to the bluing and ease of operating the slide and probably the finish as well.

I've never owned a Wilson, I've handled a couple. I own 2 Baer's, both PII's with the 1.5 option. If you're hand strength is lacking due to age/medical conditions etc I'd maybe go with the Wilson, as a new Baer can sometimes be a real Bear when trying to rack the slide back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1387.JPG (198.8 KB, 15 views)