The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 28, 2012, 12:10 PM   #1
Corona

Czech Point revolvers

I've been wanting to add a 22LR revolver to my meager collection as a plinker but man...even the Taurus and Charter 22s are expensive. Not to mention even a used S&W.

I ran across Czech Point yesterday and I am intrigued.

http://www.czechpoint-usa.com/products/revolvers/

Anyone have any experience with their revolvers? I don't think they're connected with CZ at all, but I did have a CZ 82 which was a wonderful pistol. May have nothing more in common with Czech Point than it is a Czech pistol, but speaks highly for the tradition of firearms manufacturing there.

I tried googling up some reviews but they're very sparse. Generally good, but very few.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and insights. Many thanks.
Old March 28, 2012, 03:23 PM   #2
Cheapshooter

First I've heard of them. But here is a link to a rimfire forum with some first hand experience reviews. Not the most glowing of reviews though.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...ght=Czechpoint
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 28, 2012, 08:16 PM   #3
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

After having owned a CZ rifle and shot a number of CZ pistols, I can tell you I'd have a lot more faith in a Czech gun than one from Brazil, Turkey, or the Philippines. My CZ ,22 rifle was a shooter.
Old March 28, 2012, 09:33 PM   #4
armoredman

The one they aren't importing is the one I want - the revolving 357 mag rifle.
None of the revolvers imported are from Czeska Zbrojovka Uhersky Brod, aka CZ-UB. Alpha Proj makes the steel frame one, which have a decent rep across the pond.
Old March 28, 2012, 11:03 PM   #5
Cheapshooter

More information on the parent company: http://www.alfa-proj.cz/en/about-alfa-proj/about-us/
Old March 29, 2012, 02:24 AM   #6
gyvel

The .22 looks like another Zamak special.
Old March 29, 2012, 07:13 AM   #7
Corona

Cheap shooter - thanks for the link. I had looked over at Rimfire and didn't see this one.

Seems that opinions are based more on speculation than actual experience.

I'm still curious. I don't think any revolver is going to match the quality on my S&W or have as smooth a trigger pull, but I'm mainly interested in a 22 for plinking. If it was a steel frame, I'd probably jump on it. But even an alloy frame looks like it should hold up for my purposes.

Which leads me to ask...for a low impact round like a 22, does a lower strength alloy frame pose a significant problem for the gun's long term functioning?

I'm not familiar with Zamak...I assume that is some company's name for such an alloy.

Anyway...thanks.
Old March 29, 2012, 08:05 AM   #8
C0untZer0

The cylinder on their 9mm model looks like it's about the length of a 9mm cartridge, which would make that revolver diffferent than the companies that just take their 357 models and put a cylinder in it with 9mm bore diameter for the chambers.
Old March 29, 2012, 08:19 AM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

The crane/yoke looks awfully thin.
Old March 29, 2012, 10:04 AM   #10
armoredman

I can tell you this from personal experience - Dan at Czechpoint is a no nonsense guy, and if you buy one, and have problems, he'll make it right.
Old March 29, 2012, 10:52 AM   #11
Corona

Armoredman....thanks for the assurance.

I do like the look of the Czechpoint 22LR with the 4 inch barrel. The only other option near this price range is a Taurus 94. But even they seem to be hard to come by lately.
Old March 29, 2012, 11:22 AM   #12
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I'm not familiar with Zamak...I assume that is some company's name for such an alloy.
ZAMAK is a zinc, aluminum, magnesium alloy used in everything from auto parts to frames and slides on lower cost firearms. Much of the bashing associated with Hi-Point, the Walther P22, and others is the ZAMAK slide. Also the frame of Heritage Rough Rider single action revolvers. I have one of each, and have not had a single issue with any of them.
This isn't saying that ZAMAK is the alloy used for the CzechPoint. It could be an aluminum alloy just as many lightweight centerfire handgun frames are made from. Including many light weight 1911 variants, the Beretta 92fs, and Smith & Wesson lightweight revolvers.
Old March 29, 2012, 11:49 AM   #13
Walklightly

Quote:
I've been wanting to add a 22LR revolver to my meager collection as a plinker but man...even the Taurus and Charter 22s are expensive. Not to mention even a used S&W.
Yep, it's a cold hard reality we all have to deal with. First my attitude with Taurus is spotty. So if I step up to the plate and get a 22lr revolver, well, it starts with an S, and ends with a W.

Not there yet.

TBS, I've been peaking at those Heritage SA's. They're about $185. Plink away. Check them out at Bud's.

To heck with that unknown CZs (not CZ), get a Taurus!
Old March 29, 2012, 02:21 PM   #14
mj246

You might also want to look around a little more at the Charter Pathfinders if price is the only reason you'd prefer this Czechpoint. depending on your budget, it really may not be that much more to get one of the target models (4" full lug barrel, adjustable rear sights, stainless). Buds has it for $347 with free shipping compared to the Czechpoint 4" 22lr at $292 + $15 shipping ($307 before transfer fees and such). That's only a $40 difference.

Personally, that is a small enough difference for me personally to get the Charter since it is both lighter (about 20 ounces empty compared to over 30 ounces empty) and I have been able to inspect a couple in person and find them to be of sufficient quality (though obviously no S&W, Ruger, or Colt). I've been intrigued about the Czechpoint revolvers since I first heard about them a few months ago, but am weary to buy a gun that I can't handle ANY models of that brand in person.

However, if the extra $40-50 for a Charter or Taurus is too much or there is some other reason leading you towards the Czechpoint .22, I have only seen a couple reviews and they both seemed to find it serviceable, but not super.

Lastly, if you wind up getting a Czechpoint (as pointed out the maker is Alfa Proj, not CZ), please let us know how it works out!
Old March 29, 2012, 03:00 PM   #15
C0untZer0

I might not wait for the Charter Arms 9mm rimless

This CzechPoint 9231 looks nice:

http://www.czechpoint-usa.com/produc...-9231-9mm-para

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CZ 9231.jpg (30.1 KB, 1165 views)
Old March 29, 2012, 03:59 PM   #16
C0untZer0

Why is there a larger gap between the front of the cylinder and the frame on some guns?

I notice it on this CzechPoint 9231, the S&W Model 625 has it, as does the Model 27 (although not as pronounced).

Eh... nevermind, I started a thread with the gap question.

Last edited by C0untZer0; March 29, 2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old March 29, 2012, 10:10 PM   #17
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Why is there a larger gap between the front of the cylinder and the frame on some guns?
On that particular gun it appears that the frame is the same size as for 38 Spcl, or 357 Magnum, but the cylinder is made to size for the shorter 9MM Luger round. I am assuming the barrel extends through the frame to fill in the gap in front of the cylinder. Looks kinda dumb to me. JMHO
Old March 29, 2012, 10:21 PM   #18
C0untZer0

It may be only a minor difference but isn't it better to have a shorter cylinder so the tip of the bullet is closer to the forcing cone rather thanthat extra space in the chamber?

I wonder if that is a 9mm barrel or .357 magnum barrel ?
Old March 30, 2012, 08:08 AM   #19
Walklightly

Buy it, and make your day. I dare you! I'll take zero.
Old March 30, 2012, 08:13 AM   #20
Walklightly

Quote:
So if I step up to the plate and get a 22lr revolver, well, it starts with an S, and ends with a W.
Opps, I forgot about the new Ruger. God bless Ruger.
Old March 30, 2012, 09:24 AM   #21
C0untZer0

I said the This CzechPoint 9231 looks nice, and it does as far as being a 9mm with a more substantial barrel than what else is out there. The Taurus 905 has a 2" barrel, the 9231 has a 3" barrel. I also like that the CzechPoint 9231 has rear adjustable sights.

But as far as looks, the bluing doesn't seem that great. It doesn't look even. It appears brownish in some areas, dull matt in some places and shinier in other places. I thought maybe it was just the photo, but I went to the Alfa Proj website and their other revolvers look like this too.

I tell myself that if I like the revolver I can always have Robar fix it up, but it's one thing to have a pistol refinished due to wear, it's another thing to pay half the price of the gun to have it refinished just because the finish that comes with it is sub par.
Old April 1, 2012, 10:55 PM   #22
PoorRichRichard

Just bought a SA Heritage with a 9 inch barrel, and the 22mag and 22lr cylinders. Love shooting the mags out of it. Feel naked if I'm not carrying it while out hiking.
Old April 1, 2012, 11:20 PM   #23
TxFlyFish

that 9231 looks hot that eastern European utilitarian look
Old April 2, 2012, 04:38 PM   #24
Corona

So I am still pondering the Czechpoint 22LR. Been looking at reviews of the Taurus 94....some good, some bad....kinda 50/50.

Not getting a good feel for the Charter 22.

And, still cruising the local gun shops to see what, if any, 22 revolvers show up over the weekend.

And the hunt continues.....
Old February 19, 2013, 09:22 PM   #25
Wishoot

Bumping an old thread to see if anyone else has experience with these revolvers.