The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 10, 2013, 10:16 PM   #1
Paul81

Taurus PT709 slim - - UPDATE

Well the wind let up and I got to take it out for a session.
Not happy at all.
First couple mags it was flawless Then it failed to feed. New gun break in period? After each time I could manually rack the slide and it loaded just fine.
Then started to happen more frequently. After about 75 rounds it was almost every other shot sometimes 2-3 in a row.

I came in cleaned everything again went back out and a full mag flawless. Next mag it started again.

This is my first semi-auto. Only thing I noticed that may or not be normal. After I load or fire then it auto loads if I remove the magazine the next bullet is forward about 1/8". Should it still be seated against the back of the mag?

What could be causing it not to pick up the next round?

Last edited by Paul81; February 12, 2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old February 10, 2013, 10:39 PM   #2
Lemmon

I have a PT709 Slim and very pleased with it. I am sorry you are having problems with it. What brand/type of ammunition are you using? When you cleaned it did you pull out a lot of soot or junk?

Lemmon from Rural South Carolina.....

Last edited by Lemmon; February 10, 2013 at 10:42 PM. Reason: asked if he cleaned the pistol and notice that he had..
Old February 10, 2013, 10:43 PM   #3
Paul81

Tried both federal and Winchester fmj 115gr

Yes bought the gun yesterday, cleaned it lastnight before ever firing. Cleaned again during the session.

Edit: surprisingly it wasn't packed full of grease it was actually pretty clean.
I cleaned the mag several times, to no avail
Old February 10, 2013, 10:55 PM   #4
cen

Wow, I'm too sorry to hear that. 300 + rounds through mine and have never cleaned it other than the barrel maybe twice( I need to). Never had a problem with numerous different types of ammo. Hopefully we won't get any Taurus haters bashing one gun. I'd take it back to the shop.
Old February 10, 2013, 10:56 PM   #5
Lemmon

Paul, welcome to the Firing Line Forum....

I hope someone more knowledgeable than me can help you. I know some ammunition is quite dirty and may cause problems but what you have used should be fine. I will be watching this Thread for hopefully someone to give you the answer to correct your problems. I am convinced that the Taurus PT709 is a well made pistol....

Lemmon from Rural South Caolina
Old February 10, 2013, 10:56 PM   #6
Tad_T

Was this all with the same magazine or do you have more than one and they all had the same issue?
Old February 10, 2013, 11:00 PM   #7
Paul81

Thanks for the input guys.

Just came with the one magazine.

If it matters it was ejecting just fine. Almost all spent brass in a nice little pile
Old February 10, 2013, 11:05 PM   #8
cen

Paul, just looked and if I rack one and then drop the clip, the next round is not forward at all, it's rear is against the back of the magazine.
Old February 10, 2013, 11:13 PM   #9
jimbob24

This is yet another Taurus horror story. Personally, I wouldnt ever consider one. This is of course MY opinion(someone out there will tell me their Taurus is the best gun they've ever owned, THATS FINE! let's not start a major debate). The majority of Taurus stories I hear are negative. I'm sorry about your purchase, maybe consider trading for something else? Almost everyone bumps across something that doesn't work for them.
Old February 10, 2013, 11:15 PM   #10
Paul81

Quote:
Paul, just looked and if I rack one and then drop the clip, the next round is not forward at all, it's rear is against the back of the magazine
Thanks Cen, I thought that might me an issue but being my first auto-loader I wasn't sure
Old February 10, 2013, 11:34 PM   #11
TheNocturnus

@Paul81

When I got my first handgun, I chose a Taurus as well. They are inexpensive guns that are very tempting because of the price. My advice is to get rid of that gun and get something else.

I have had my bouts with terrible Taurus guns and I will never get another.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old February 11, 2013, 01:26 AM   #12
Tad_T

You said that this is your first semi-automatic pistol.

You might consider that this is not a problem with the weapon but that it could be a technique problem on your part.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limp_wristing

Might not be, but it is worth looking at.
Old February 11, 2013, 03:26 AM   #13
Ghost1958

If the problem keeps up call Taurus CS. I suspect you have a bad mag. They will send you a new mag I suspect to try. If that doesnt fix it send to them. Taurus has a lifetime warranty on any handgun regardless of age or original owner or not, and let em fix it.

I wont say they never put out a bad handgun. Course so have Ruger Smith and (gasp) Glock. Ive had a dud in each brand i just mentioned over the years.

Sorry your having a trouble. Make sure you arent limp wristing it, maybe let someone else try shooting it and see if it does the same thing.

Just a lil encouragement. I have a Taurus pt 840 and pt945 that feed anything you stick in em all the time and have for quite a while and a bunch of rounds.
Old February 11, 2013, 03:32 AM   #14
oldandslow

Paul 81, 2/11/13

While I am not a Taurus fan (I own two) it is too early to say the pistol is the problem. Most common cause of malfunction is ammo but if you've tried two types of factory ammo then this is less likely. Next is a mag problem. You need to get another mag and number them. This will let you see if only one mag is causing the problem or if it is both mags. Lastly you need to have an experienced shooter run a few mags through it. Sometimes it can be a shooting technique problem and not an ammo/mag/pistol problem. If the malfunctions occur with both mags and with different shooters then it should go back to Taurus for a fix. Good luck and don't give up.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old February 11, 2013, 05:52 AM   #15
tristar viper

No the next round being slightly forward is NOT an issue. My 709 does it, my TCP does it, and I have never had a malfunction with either of them.
I have shot Blazer brass, Blazer aluminum, Fiocchi, American Eagle, PMC, and even RWS and I have had zero malfunctions with either gun.
But very sorry about your trouble, but as someone else already said, try some good ammo in it. And also as someone said, pay attention to your technique.
I hesitant at this point to say it's the gun until some other things get tried.
Old February 11, 2013, 12:15 PM   #16
Paul81

Again thanks for the input.

I'm pretty sure it's not a limp wristing issue. My grip was solid and firm, especially since I was experiencing issues. I was very deliberate in making sure that wasn't the case. That being said I'm going to take it and let dad shoot a few after work and see how it goes.

I'm think maybe the magazine spring not pushing up enough? Try stretching the spring out a little? The last round isnt overly difficult to load. I recall reading threads about on new mags the spring bring so tight you can't hardly load the last round without a loader.

Just looking for a "simple" solution short of sending the mag back to Taurus. No one in town has magazines and they're $75+ on ebay right now.
Old February 11, 2013, 02:42 PM   #17
Tad_T

I ordered four magazines for my PT709 Slim from CDNN on the 1st. I received them on the 6th.

$29.99 apiece w/$9.99 shipping.

When I called and asked if they had any in stock, the gentleman said, "Sure, how many do you want?"
Old February 11, 2013, 03:42 PM   #18
Paul81

Quote:
When I called and asked if they had any in stock, the gentleman said, "Sure, how many do you want?"
You have either better luck or better timing than me.
Them and so far everyone else I've tried." out of stock"
Old February 11, 2013, 04:00 PM   #19
tjhands

Quote:
Try stretching the spring out a little?
Lord, no. It's not a magazine a problem. I know you don't want to swallow the pill I'm going to urge you to swallow, but it'll be the cheapest and least stressful for you. See if you can return the gun. If you can't, sell it on your own.

You can fart around with this thing and keep pumping big bucks in ammo through it, trying and hoping, but in all liklihood it's not gonna work for you. People talk about "Taurus Haters" but many of us become haters the hard way: we did what I'm telling you NOT to do......we kept our guns and wasted a butt-ton of money and frustration on them.

No Taurus ever again for me or anyone I can possibly talk out of them.
Old February 11, 2013, 04:19 PM   #20
fast20

i had a few fte, when i first got mine.... then i was on one of the forums a guy there recommend, to rack the slide many times... will watching tv, just sitting there... and also leave the slide back for several days....so every chance i got i would rack the slide...... as he called it... a cheap break in process... so far its been fine after doing this.... also try shooting a couple of boxes of 124 gr through it... that seem to work for my nano... good luck..
Old February 11, 2013, 07:15 PM   #21
tristar viper

Don't sell a gun that doesn't work right....that's dishonest and dirty. Get it fixed and then sell it.....if there's even anything wrong with it....
No one has determined the gun is to blame here, so don't listen to some of the doomsdayers on here, and try some other stuff first. It's not the magazine I wouldn't think....start with some good ammo. Also let someone experienced shoot it if you can, and see what happens.
Old February 11, 2013, 07:28 PM   #22
elDiabloLoco

Sounds condescending, but is it lubed up? Had problems with a P95 on its first box. Not a single problem since(about 700 thru it since the first box). It likes being run wetter than its compadre's in the safe.
Old February 12, 2013, 08:08 PM   #23
Paul81

Think I might of found the problem.
Bad magazine
If you push up even slightly on the rear of the follower it will go almost vertical.

I got a new mag today that doesn't have near that much play.

I ran 3 mags without any issues at all.
Old February 12, 2013, 09:11 PM   #24
Tad_T

I'm glad you figured it out, Paul.

Enjoy your new pistol.
Old February 14, 2013, 03:06 AM   #25
Justice06RR

My first thought was definitely a magazine problem, esp since you only have one mag.

I have owned both the 709 and 740Slim, both were flawless and never gave me problems.

Its funny how quickly the Taurus haters come out of the woodwork, when obviously the issue is very minor on the OP's situation.