The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 16, 2013, 06:00 PM   #26
arch308

I clean after every use. Rifle and pistol. If the SHTF I want to start off with a clean weapon. They will function better and last longer. They will hold their value better. Many good reasons to keep your guns clean & lubed.
Only reason not to clean them is laziness. JMHO
Old February 16, 2013, 06:20 PM   #27
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
They will function better and last longer. They will hold their value better.
These are articles of faith, and while it must seem logical to you that these claims are correct, how do you know? I'd be willing to bet, if we had a way of testing it, that most gun which are given a minimum amount of care (including attention to rust prevention), for guns with the same number of rounds fired, and the same attention paid to keeping the finish as nice as possible, will:
1) last every bit as long as those that are kept meticulously clean, and

2) will hold their value just as well as the cleanest ones -- if they're both clean when they are presented for sale.
At the time of sale, the buyer is going to focus on cosmetics (finish), visible wear that is a byproduct of use, and indications of proper function.

In real estate, the cliche is "Location, location, location." With guns, it's more often, "condition, condition, condition."

A dirty gun can be cleaned. A clean gun can still be worn, show blemishes, and not funciton as well as it should...

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; February 17, 2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old February 16, 2013, 06:29 PM   #28
ttarp

I clean after every range trip, except my for my 22's for some reason. I've read that excessive cleaning can be more damaging than not cleaning, but I have no idea what excessive is, or whether or not I'm doing any harm to my guns the way I clean them.
Old February 16, 2013, 06:30 PM   #29
Pico

Fire it clean it

No matter what you shoot, if you shoot it you always clean it afterwards.

Pico
Old February 16, 2013, 06:33 PM   #30
Grizzdude

I make it an extremist religion to clean them before, during, and after shooting.

Please visit my website! Grizzdude's gun's website
Old February 16, 2013, 09:33 PM   #31
SHE3PDOG

I'm in the military as well, and I practice what I learned. If I go to the range, I clean it. I even clean my GLOCK just in case.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old February 16, 2013, 09:51 PM   #32
donato

After each range trip. Because I like to!!
Old February 16, 2013, 10:12 PM   #33
pete2

I clean centerfires every 200 to300 rounds. .22 LR hardly ever other than to brush residue off rear face of the bbl and bolt face. Wipe them down everytime I handle them if blued.
Old February 17, 2013, 02:34 AM   #34
Topthis

I used to clean my pistols everytime I went to the range, because I thought I had to. Then when I bought my first Les Baer Custom 1911...the "directions" say to shoot 800 - 1000 rounds before it's first cleaning! I was a bit baffled by this, since I thought it was really bad and dangerous to not clean your guns after use, but I spoke to the dealer and he explained "lapping" and other words that I had not ever heard of. Any how, it took me 3 months between trips to shoot 800 rounds (I don't have as much time as I used to) and during that time, it never had an issue. I cleaned it and put another 800 rounds in a little longer time frame, before I cleaned it. I have since adopted this habit with all of my pistols and haven't had an issue with any of them, although I will say that if I haven't shot them in say 6 months...I will do a breakdown and a light wipe n lube and my barrels get a Bore Snake monthly.
Old February 17, 2013, 02:37 AM   #35
AndyWest

I clean/lube within a few days of shooting. For guns I haven't used in a while (say, a few months), I'll clean/lube them as I'm watching an old movie or something. Takes no effort that way even if you spend an hour. Then I jot it down on a notepad so I know what neglected gun to clean next time Beverly Hills Cop is on
Old February 17, 2013, 03:45 AM   #36
shootniron

This thread is filled with laughable nonsense about the necessity of keeping guns spotless. Do you guys have a clue how ridiculous these regimens are...gee whiz...give us a break from this bunch of bull.

Last edited by shootniron; February 17, 2013 at 03:55 AM.
Old February 17, 2013, 08:07 AM   #37
LockedBreech

How often do you clean your pistol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootniron View Post
This thread is filled with laughable nonsense about the necessity of keeping guns spotless. Do you guys have a clue how ridiculous these regimens are...gee whiz...give us a break from this bunch of bull.
You should think about presenting your view with more respect.

While there have been disagreements in this thread, none have lowered the level of discourse like you just did. I have no idea why you'd throw out a bunch of vitriol like "bunch of bull" and "laughable nonsense" when it is so unnecessary to do so. If you have fact-based arguments to offer, do so. Otherwise, keep the trolling to yourself. The Firing Line isn't a YouTube comments section.
Old February 17, 2013, 08:22 AM   #38
Walt Sherrill

A discussion a gun cleaning or maintenance regimin is like talking about religion or political matters -- bound to end up with one party calling the other heathens and teeth bared. <grin>

Like discussion of politics or religion, there's seldom thoughtful input -- just the presentation of long-held beliefs.
Old February 17, 2013, 10:44 AM   #39
cecILL

Clean all you want. Just cause "Dad" said or the "military" said doesn't carry much weight with me.
I've bought pistols never cleaned, and when cleaned look just as new.
Firearms don't "know" they're dirty.
Old February 17, 2013, 12:37 PM   #40
arch308

Do you change the oil in your car? An engine will run fine for a long time without it. That doesn't mean damage is not being done.
Old February 17, 2013, 12:45 PM   #41
shootniron

Sorry LockedBreech, I didn't mean to run afoul of the sensitivity police...so maybe I need to change the phrases you mention to the following, more palatable descriptors. "laughable nonsense" could be "prattle and "bunch of bull" could be "dung". Let me know...
Old February 17, 2013, 12:52 PM   #42
Pico

Not cleaning guns?

I can't imagine any good argument NOT to clean your firearms. Be it a Glock, rimfire, magnum, 1911, putting ANY gun up dirty is just a bad habit to get in.

If your guns are cleaner than your house, you might just be a redneck. Mine are and I am. LOL

Pico
Old February 17, 2013, 12:52 PM   #43
shootniron

Quote:
Do you change the oil in your car? An engine will run fine for a long time without it. That doesn't mean damage is not being done.
Poor analogy, car engines operate between 800-6500 sustained rpms with an average of nearly 100 moving parts (for v6 or V8) and guns have virtually no moving parts with no sustained motion in comparison.
Old February 17, 2013, 01:03 PM   #44
FairWarning

I've seen some people here talk about cleaning their guns to the point it reminds me of how dog circles a rug before lying down or paddles mindlessly if held above a pool of water.

Use common sense.
Old February 17, 2013, 01:17 PM   #45
arch308

Shootiniron,
Just trying to make a case for preventive maintainence. A gun is a machine with moving parts and needs to be cleaned and lubed at regular intervels. It is very true that a gun will probably last for generations with very little maintainence but the damage from the neglect will still be there. It may or may not affect the operation or value but will still be present.
I like to keep my guns cleaned. Just my personel prefference. My brother very seldom cleans his guns and they still work fine. To each his own. The OP was just asking how often we all clean our guns. Now we are arguing about the need to.
Funny stuff.
Old February 17, 2013, 02:31 PM   #46
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch308
...It is very true that a gun will probably last for generations with very little maintainence but the damage from the neglect will still be there. It may or may not affect the operation or value but will still be present.
The damage from the neglect will still be there? A serious question for you: what damage is prevented by frequent cleaning? Please be specific. You may be right, but it's going to take more than "saying so" to convince some of us.

Please note, too, that I don't advocate NOT CLEANING; in fact, I'd clean my weapons more often if I was convinced that it was really necessary. But my experience after lot of years of shooting has caused me to lean in the other direction.

I know the military advocates very rigorous cleaning practices. I'm a vet from the Vietnam era -- I know the drill. I learned a lot of things when I was in the military. I learned, too, that the military's approach to teaching most basic things is to DUMB IT DOWN.
That's because the people who do the teaching aren't always the brightest bulbs in the pack, and the audience itself can range from near-idiots to geniuses. Course content for such "basic" training has to be simple, direct, and to the point -- so that almost anybody can teach it and anybody can learn it.
Will the military way work for you? Sure. Is it the best way? Hard to say. But I'm pretty sure that just because the military taught something very basic to a large number of personnel in a certain way doesn't mean that THAT particular way was is best way it can be done...

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; February 17, 2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old February 17, 2013, 02:53 PM   #47
LockedBreech

How often do you clean your pistol?

[Edited - not going to feed the trolls]

Last edited by LockedBreech; February 17, 2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old February 17, 2013, 04:15 PM   #48
SHE3PDOG

Even though I clean my guns pretty often, I understand that they don't NEED to be cleaned all the time to function properly. That being said, if I'm given the choice between shooting a clean gun and a dirty one of the same model, functionality, age, and overall wear, I'm going to chose the one that is clean. However, as others have pointed out, if both guns are clean upon presentation and have the same conditions mentioned above, I really don't care what their lifetime of cleanliness has been. This seems more like a personal choice than a fact vs. fact debate to me.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old February 17, 2013, 05:16 PM   #49
RBid

I enjoy cleaning mine. I typically clean them after each range trip, though I don't use the bore brush frequently.
Old February 17, 2013, 06:42 PM   #50
peacefulgary

I always field strip and clean my pistol (1) when I first purchase them and (2) after every range session.
But they're never totally clean because I always shoot one round after cleaning and re-assembling, just to make sure everything is working as it should.

Tags
cleaning , frequency , pistol