The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 15, 2013, 05:00 PM   #1
Oldjarhead

Springfield Armory XDS vs. Kahr PM45

Has anyone had an opportunity to shoot the Kahr PM45 and the Springfield Armory XDS. 45acp? I'd like to know, which one you liked based on triggers,accuracy,feel and comfort. Reliability too. Thanks.
Old February 15, 2013, 06:25 PM   #2
jason_iowa

I like the springfield. I don't own one yet but when things calm down I plan on picking one up not sure which model ill get but i'm leaning towards the xdm.

I hear great things about the Khar too. I think you would be fine with either one. Springfield is probably cheaper too. I have not priced the Khar.
Old February 15, 2013, 06:45 PM   #3
kahrguy

another shooter compairing the xds to the wrong kahr. The CW45 or P45 are closer to the size of the xds45 but still a lighter handgun with a full grip for most. Price of the CW45 is less than 400 dollars or the P45 is closer to 565 at a reasonable LGS.

Last edited by kahrguy; February 16, 2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old February 15, 2013, 08:04 PM   #4
Rmart30

I havent shot one of the Kahrs but I can say I really like my XDS. Easy to carry and less recoil than my PF9.

http://www.gunbanobama.com <---MUST READ
Old February 15, 2013, 08:12 PM   #5
tahunua001

I would never take a Kahr over a XD of any type. with all of the horror stories that I have heard and witnessed first hand I would never buy a kahr. springfield turns out very few lemons and those that do have problems have a lifetime warranty.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old February 15, 2013, 08:43 PM   #6
gregdry

My choice would be the XDS. I have not shot the Kahr PM45, but I have the PM40. I also have a new XDS (in fact, just got back from shooting it a while ago; have shot around 80 so far without a hitch!). IMHO, Springfield is better choice; here's why: Springfield has case with many extras, 2 mags, fiber optic front sight, only 1" wide; great reputation; works out of the box, is less expensive... Kahr costs more, asks for 200 rd. break-in (that alone is expensive!). I think Springfield is the better weapon, just sayin...
Old February 15, 2013, 08:57 PM   #7
varoadking

The PM45 is a wonderful handgun...as are all Kahrs...

Old February 16, 2013, 08:47 PM   #8
BrthrB

Both are fine guns! I have shot both and each shoots well. The PM45 is slightly smaller. The XDs has the capability of a 7 round magazine (with a slip on grip adapter). XDs also comes with a holster and magazine holder while my Kahr did not.

PM45 is my off-duty carry gun. It has been outstanding from the start. The XDs has also been flawless!

Handle both to see which fits you best. Their feel and trigger pull(s) are different as well as their ergonomics!
Old February 17, 2013, 06:16 AM   #9
dean1818

The kahr has a very long trigger pull and a long reset

The XDS has a much crisper and shorter trigger pull and reset

I absolutely hate the exposed slide stop spring on the Kahr..... To me its a poor design

I also do not like the "load with slide stop" rule of the kahr.

I shoot a friends XDS better than I did the kahrs I have owned in the past

Both are great pistols, but the XDS is a better weapon, in my humble opinion

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old February 17, 2013, 10:19 PM   #10
Wally21

I own a Springfield XD-45 and I absolutely love it. It is very comfortable to hold and I like how the safety is not only on the trigger but the back of the grip. I've never had a problem with it. I also got my friend to look at purchasing one instead of a Glock.

I've never shot a Kahr PM45 so I couldn't tell you anything about that.
Old February 17, 2013, 10:32 PM   #11
stolivar

I have shot both

The Kahr is brutal. Not comfortable to shoot at all. I love the the XD's

Enough said.

I own the xd not the Kahr...

steve
Old February 17, 2013, 10:56 PM   #12
farmboy

I've shot both, own the Kahr CW45.

Per your request:
Trigger- different from each other, but both OK for what they are. If you're used to shooting an auto, the Springfield will feel best. If you've been shooting revolvers, the Kahr.

Accuracy-Both good. Better than 99% of us can actually shoot, I'm betting.

Feel- Completely subjective. I own the Kahr because it "felt" best to me. If a gun feels right, you can work around everything else.

Comfort- Compared to a warm bowl of soup on a cold day, no, neither. Touching off a round from a polymer framed .45 is not what I call "comfortable". Fun, maybe, but not comfortable.

Reliability- Again, a draw. But in this modern age of computerized design and manufacturing, find a real lemon of any brand is getting more and more rare.

So, what it boils down to is........you. And you know deep down which one you want, so go get it already.
Old October 22, 2013, 02:13 AM   #13
MACVSOG

Wrong Kahr????

The PM45 IMO is more comparable to the XDs than the P40 or CW45. Both handguns holds the same amount of rounds.
Old October 22, 2013, 02:13 PM   #14
Bart Noir

The thread title has "XDS" which I took to be the newest XD version. The little one. The one that you are not supposed to fire until it takes a trip back to Springfield

I guess that answers all questions about which is best!

We have a hard time keeping the various XD models sorted out. I think from now on I will refer to the new, small XDs as the XD(s) as I believe some Springfield adverts do. That will keep it different from XDs meaning the plural of the XD.

At least I can't get confused by XDM.

I'm not saying anybody here is wrong, just that, in general, on forums I have seen more ID confusion about the XD(s) than other guns. People manage to keep the Walther PPXYZ models sorted out, although there are more an more version to confuse us.

Bart Noir
Old October 22, 2013, 06:18 PM   #15
tahunua001

ok first of all, this is a thread resurrection. it's nearly a year old.

second, it's about the XDS not XD(plural) or XDM but XD(s).

third. not all XDS are unsafe and not all XDS are affected by the recall, they still make them with the new part installed. this entire recall was instantiated by a single gun failing and a tester modifying another gun and succeeding in recreating the failure. I would hardly claim that all XD(s) are faulty.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.

Last edited by tahunua001; October 22, 2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old October 23, 2013, 06:00 PM   #16
Bart Noir

Aw c'mon, any thread in the same calendar year is fair game!

And I really don't think my XD(s) is dangerous but they want to modify it.

The email updates from Springfield only last week said that they actually had a fix, for at least the ones to be modified. So I don't think they will have shipped any between the recall decision and the acceptance of the fix. Unless there was a fix that went in new ones that is different from the fix that can be made to the recalled ones.

Bart Noir
Who can't vote for either of the two since he hasn't fired a PM45. But the 9's are nice....
Old October 25, 2013, 09:31 PM   #17
ritepath

If only the CM45 was on the market.
Old October 26, 2013, 05:32 AM   #18
Esox

They are both fine firearms, but I would go for the Springer because it is a better value and Springfield's customer service is second to none.