The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: What should I do?
Get the M80 FEG (€300) 3 4.11%
Get the CZ75 Compact (€300) 43 58.90%
Get the Star 28-PK (€190) 0 0%
Keep your cash and spend on stuff you need: rounds, bullets, powder etc 27 36.99%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 17, 2013, 12:50 PM   #26
Misssissippi Dave

I have the CZ 75BD Compact. No safety lever instead a de-cocking lever. It is very similar to the B model. It shoots quite well and is easy to maintain. My only complaint is the trigger it came with. The Omega trigger would have been so much better. Other than replacing springs from time to time I don't see much that can go wrong with one. If you can't get the 14 round magazines for them the 16 round ones from the full size will work but they stick out the bottom a ways. Shooting those full size magazines i a compact is hard on the finish at the bottom of the grip. You should be able to get what ever you need for a CZ pistol in Europe without trouble.

While the CZ is fun to shoot, if money is really tight then putting off getting one until things change might be the best idea. You could just put the money towards things like primers, powder and bullets.

You said you are limited to only 1000 bullets in your location. Does that also apply to components? If not than stocking those things up is just as good as finished ammo in many cases.
Old February 18, 2013, 02:41 PM   #27
Pond, James Pond

Well, the law has changed somewhat from the version I had referred to and it looks like I should be able to proceed with the Astra purchase and the semi auto if I choose to, so that is good news.

Interesting development on the Star front: I contact the site owner of this info resource:

Star Firearms

And the gent concerned emailed me back. He clarified two things in particular. Firstly, that the gun in question is in fact the 28/30 hybrid described half way down the page linked above. So it has the improved features of the 30 slide on the 28PK aluminium frame.

In addition he stated that the issue of fragile firing pins is an internet rumour and not the case. Suddenly, the Star looks better. I'd still need to confirm if it took CZ mags by some minor miracle, if I started leaning in the Star's direction!!

One can only wonder how an 80s Spanish service pistol, in a rarer hybrid form, ended up in a post-soviet state at the other end of the continent!!! Each firearm truly can have a crazy story behind it....
Old February 19, 2013, 11:38 AM   #28
bossman

I voted for the CZ 75 compact as I truly love the way it shoots. A tad heavy for carry but really great for range use. I can shoot that thing all daylong with a smile on my face. As for the Star parts are getting fairly rare so if you go that way just keep that in mind. I have had a few of the Star's and can say they all were excellant guns. The only one I have left is the Star PD 45 acp which I will never let go. Still one of my very favorite guns.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old February 19, 2013, 03:46 PM   #29
Pond, James Pond

I saw the M80 today. Not bad. Clearer no excessively used, but it did not speak to me. Perhaps if I had shot it the story would be different, but such is life.

If I listen to common sense only, I should just get my snub and leave it at that, but all the same I'll have a look at the CZ as it is in the same shop: I should be going down there tomorrow. I can feel that new gun feeling coming on!!

Having said that, the Star still has a fond place in my heart! Perhaps it is because I shot it and it fired true... who knows? Still the problem remains the same. If spares are scarce in the States, they will be rarer than hen's teeth over here.

I'm taking snap caps for the .38 and for the CZ to see how each functions and I'll go from there!!

Exciting!
Old February 19, 2013, 04:18 PM   #30
Mezzanine

Quote:
In addition he stated that the issue of fragile firing pins is an internet rumour and not the case.
No offense but what did you expect the guy selling merchandise and manuals on his site to say, "look at the firing pin wrong and itll break, also never buy anything from me never, ever, ever."
Old February 20, 2013, 02:30 AM   #31
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
No offense but what did you expect the guy selling merchandise and manuals on his site to say, "look at the firing pin wrong and itll break, also never buy anything from me never, ever, ever."
He runs an enthusiast website, not a sales website.

The manuals are also free in PDF, he only asks for money on those printed and bound.
Whether or not the guns have good or bad firing pins will make absolutely no difference to his T-shirt sales...

So what did I expect? Well, information and honesty and I think I got both...

If you happen to know that Star firing pins are particularly fragile, then feel free to say so: any information in this situation is very much appreciated.
Old February 20, 2013, 02:17 PM   #32
Pond, James Pond

Bought the Astra as planned, but not the CZ. When it came to it, as much as I liked it, I did not feel that I wanted to hand over €300s!

I thought if I was not dying to buy it when I was holding it, then it probably was not to be. I may change my mind, of course.

One thing I did notice is that the gun, despite being clearly fairly under-used, was that the barrel seemed to have a matted barrel surface. It cast a reflection on the rifling, but on closer inspection it looked like there may be tiny pitting in between the lands.

My imagination? Oily residue? Quite possible.

It was nice though, with a nice trigger break and great reset!

(actually, just typing about it makes me want to go back and buy it!!! )

On the other hand I did also think that between what I didn't spend today, what I'd get for my CZ 550 rifle, I'd be most of the way to a new CZ 500 Varmint!!

Why, oh why, can't I just win the lottery and be done with it?
Old February 20, 2013, 03:11 PM   #33
+1k ammo

I have a Glock but have a CZ of some type on my future list. Never hurts to have a few different guns. You can always get ammo here and there.

Looks like the CZ is winning so just go get it. Is there any wait period over there and you can carry?
Old February 20, 2013, 03:22 PM   #34
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Looks like the CZ is winning so just go get it. Is there any wait period over there and you can carry?
It looks like the CZ may wait a while. I'll see how I feel over the weekend. As for waiting periods, I have to wait a couple of weeks for a buying permit. Once I've got that I can just go in and buy.

As for carry, yes, I can: that is one of the gun licence privileges.