The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 16, 2013, 09:54 AM   #51
jmortimer

Mr. Hunt is such a bad man. He should just capitulate and do the right thing. Why take a stand, it is so rude, especially when it comes to the Second Amendment. Unfortunately, he was "nicer" than Samuel Adams, Thomas Paine, et al, because they were so rude to the king. No place for that when it comes to important rights. Bow down and lick the boots of the P.C. crowd.
Old February 16, 2013, 10:14 AM   #52
MedicineBow

Quote:
Mr. Hunt is such a bad man. He should just capitulate and do the right thing. Why take a stand, it is so rude, especially when it comes to the Second Amendment. Unfortunately, he was "nicer" than Samuel Adams, Thomas Paine, et al, because they were so rude to the king. No place for that when it comes to important rights. Bow down and lick the boots of the P.C. crowd.
The point is, of course, he didn't take "a stand."

He hurled insults. Hunt couldn't muster a single, solitary, actual honest-to-god reason why he supported a bill that the constituent wanted him to vote against.

If the meaning of "politically correct" has degenerated to mean having a basis for your position and being able to announce that basis like an adult then you can color me, and most people, as "politically correct."

In a final irony, his constituent was more in tune with the Wyoming's approach to that bill than Hunt was. The bill didn't pass in what is arguably the most conservative, pro-Second Amendment legislature in the country.

At the end of that democratic process, Hunt didn't get up and scream at the legislature, "Wyoming! Love it or leave it! You liberals!" I don't know why, for a young guy with such "convictions."

In any event, his childish rant apparently plays well on the internet and talk radio (in between ads for sleep number mattressess). In the real world....not so much.
Old February 16, 2013, 10:26 AM   #53
Joe_Pike

I think sometimes you have to be blunt or rude or whatever you want to call it. I have listened to a lot of back and forth between proponents and opponents of the second amendment and almost without fail the opponents become very rude and patronizing, and very quickly. I would certainly like the representatives in my area a lot more if they did something like this from time to time. As it is, they follow the politicians guide of giving you PC answers to questions you never asked.
Old February 16, 2013, 10:51 AM   #54
cornbush

I say good on ya Mr. Hunt, I have far more respect for a person with convictions that they stick to than a wishy washy fence sitter that spews politically correct bull@#$! all day long.
Old February 16, 2013, 12:39 PM   #55
Gbro

So, Audette sent a letter to representatives across the state voicing those concerns.
But one of the responses she received has her and many others fairly upset. That response came from Hans Hunt of House District 2.
Representative Hunt replies;
[I'll be blunt.]

Rep Hunt had no obligation to address her at all!
Mr. Medicine Bow comments;
Quote:
He got a polite letter from a constituent, who disagrees with him. He writes back like he's a 12-year-old on a playground.
NO he did not!
I wonder what response she received from HER Representative???
Some Silver Tongue cut and paste say nothing response that she probably was delighted to receive???

We have a history of Representatives from my district here in MN that speak their heart. The Whiners in the Twin City's cry just like this one.
My hat is off to Rep. Hunt of House seat 2

Last edited by Gbro; February 17, 2013 at 01:49 AM.
Old February 16, 2013, 07:50 PM   #56
PatientWolf

He could have been more diplomatic, but I applaud the message. I did find her letter to be high handed and insulting. She said that if things didn't change it would be her and other "educated" people who left. The obvious implication is that people of a different opinion are not as intelligent.
Old February 16, 2013, 11:17 PM   #57
thallub

Quote:
She said that if things didn't change it would be her and other "educated" people who left
Yep, some newcomers always bring up the education thing. Some, like the lady here, threaten to go away if the uneducated local clods don't change the way they do things. At a conference several years ago i had a tiff with one of those back eastern "educated" ladies. She threw up her education thing and i pointed to my masters from Rutgers
Old February 17, 2013, 04:36 AM   #58
MLeake

On education vs the warrior outlook

Years ago, when my little sister was working on her MA at U Virginia, I was able to score a training cross-country flight with a student who had graduated from Virginia, and who wanted to go there for a weekend. So we flew a Navy T-34C into Charlottesville.

My sister invited me to a graduate student party, primarily English and Art department students. Her friends were pretty cool, but some of her acquaintances were Ivory Tower jackasses.

One, in particular, who knew I was a Navy officer, assumed I must be some knuckle-dragging Neanderthal since I'd opted to go into the military, instead of higher education. I guess he never thought about the fact that, after all, I was my sister's brother - and my sister was at or near the top of her class.

So, after he had made some cutting comments about the general lack of intellectual capability in the armed forces, I hit him with one of my favorite quotes, from Sir William Francis Butler:

Quote:
The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.
Since he didn't think himself a fool, that left him with only one viable option, in Butler's world view.

The graduate student promptly found another conversation partner.

Last edited by MLeake; February 17, 2013 at 04:53 AM.
Old February 17, 2013, 12:44 PM   #59
kilimanjaro

Her letter contained untrue statements and thinly veiled holier-than-thou preaching. The response was a bit rough, but it's time folks learned there are consequences for trying to force groupthink on a population by the use of government force and power.

Anyone who would leave a state because they don't like armed security in their schools is putting their own beliefs ahead of the safety of their children. They deserve being taken to task for it.
Old February 17, 2013, 01:20 PM   #60
sc928porsche

Hummmmmmmmm...........educated, child rearing adults. Guess she must think that the majority of adults in Wyoming are uneducated. Well I suppose that everyone in the state will need to boost their education. Oh, and don't forget, become a member of her church too. In fact maybe they should all immediately elect her as dictator. I can see why she received the response that she did.

Sorry, all that and I am not even from Wyoming. Just erks me tho.