The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 13, 2013, 05:20 PM   #1
Okie47

My new Glock 27 - Question

I recently bought a 27 at my lgs and love everything about it so?...It is simply a Glock 27, not a Gen3, Gen4. I'm just curious about that and can't find any real info. Is mine "less refined" than a 4th generation? Glock.com advertises the Gen 4 as lasting sooo much longer because of the springs, etc. Mine's not going anywhere but it's a nagging question. I paid 509.00 and wonder if the Gen4 would be 579.00 or come with 3 mags. I just dumped my Gen4, 17 because of the rsa issues...random addition. Again I would appreciate some knowledge on this subject and thanks. Hope this is the right forum.
Old February 13, 2013, 05:36 PM   #2
BarryLee

The Gen4 models have that printed on the slide, so if your gun does not than it is a Gen3.

The G26 & G27 had the fewest actual changes when going from three to four. I believe all the changes were in the area of ergonomics related to the grip. The Gen4 has replaceable back straps and a more textured grip. If I am not mistaken the springs and guide rod assembly are the same on generation three and four. I also believe there was one minor internal change adding a dimple or something to some part (could I be more vague).

Anyway, at the end of the day I think the G26 & G27 Gen3 and Gen4 are probably pretty comparable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glock#F...eration_models
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 13, 2013, 05:42 PM   #3
happyguy

to the best of my knowledge there is no difference in the springs between a Gen3 and Gen4 G27.

I pretty sure about this.

happyguy
Old February 13, 2013, 07:04 PM   #4
AH.74

Quote:
Glock.com advertises the Gen 4 as lasting sooo much longer because of the springs, etc.
Want to show me where they say that, because I can't find it.

The Gen3 and Gen4 springs are exactly the same in these models. The frame is exactly the same material, with just some very minor dimensional and surface change.

Your Gen3 is no less "refined" and will last as long as any Gen4.

No need for nagging questions- go out, enjoy your 27 and don't look back.
Old February 13, 2013, 07:28 PM   #5
Okie47

Thanks for the replies,,,to A.H.74, you made me think I'm losing it, lol because I couldn't find it either...then, I went to us.glock.com, got to the .40 selections, then the 27's..slid over to the 27Gen4 and I quote: "the new Glock dual recoil spring assembly substantially increases the life of the system". Whew, I'm not crazy. It seems like borderline marketing ploys. I guess I won't even ask what the best IWB leather holster is...got cha...thanks.
Old February 13, 2013, 08:14 PM   #6
9mm

Quote:
guess I won't even ask what the best IWB leather holster is
Galco King Tuk, using mine for a year for a G19, G26, and now G27
Old February 13, 2013, 09:45 PM   #7
AH.74

Quote:
"the new Glock dual recoil spring assembly substantially increases the life of the system"
The subcompacts already had the dual recoil spring system. They're referring to the other models.

As far as I'm aware there is a reduction in felt recoil when compared to previous versions with the older spring system. I'm not sure what they mean by extension of life since there have been older Glocks around for many years that show no sign of wearing out any time soon.

I would agree that it's mostly marketing.
Old February 14, 2013, 01:15 AM   #8
Okie47

That sets my mind at ease, thanks. "9mm", I've heard alot of good about the Galco Kingtuk. I just did a quik check and see they are about $55.00 and maybe can get free shiipping, and in stock. A couple of simple questions for you...if you're only wearing a t-shirt (and jeans), how much of the pistol is touching your skin, the entire left side of handle I assume from the pix., or does it have a leather section not shown? I wonder because of very hot summers and perspiration. I guess simply wipe it down at night. The other is, I normally put the holster clips between the jeans and belt..is that correct? It's late and I've rambled, sorry and thanks in advance.
Old February 14, 2013, 08:38 AM   #9
AH.74

For that type of holster I recommend Ozarks Holster Co. Excellent service, pricing and delivery.

http://www.ozarksholstercompany.com/

It's a great way to carry and be able to tuck your shirt if you want to and gives good support. You should also get a good belt- a real gun belt if you don't have one. I like the Wilderness 5-stitch instructor belts. There are also many, many great leather belt makers- one of the best-known is the Beltman.

The leather backing covers the slide for the most part. You want the grip uncovered in order to be able to obtain a proper grip if you need to draw.

Generally you want the clips to go over the belt and clip onto the belt- not the pants. Doing it this way puts the weight onto the belt where it should be, and not onto the pants. The clips also will hold onto the bottom of the belt and have a better anchor point so as not to pull up at all.
Old February 14, 2013, 09:18 AM   #10
kahrguy

Don't pass up on a Comp-Tac holster. Not all leather but there MTAC or MINOTAUR make for a great iwb holstwer. No worry about leather holster crush when handgun is out of the holster. Easy to reholster. Great quality product.
Old February 14, 2013, 09:33 AM   #11
AH.74

Comp-tac is a great company. However their MTAC is twice the price of some of the other options, and bulkier with their double backing. I don't like the seam in the back- I prefer to have one smooth layer with no edges against me, if I choose to go IWB.

I will say that their plastic clips are the best on the market IMO; I have switched out clips provided with other holsters to theirs.
Old February 14, 2013, 03:35 PM   #12
kahrguy

Well they do make the single layer spartan if thinner and cheap floats your boat. I have done the crossbreed and found it to be a second class holster.

I guess if you want low cost then Old Faithfull is the buy.

And if the op thinks he wants a all leather holster than than thickness is not an issue.
http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info...roducts_id=102
Old February 14, 2013, 05:14 PM   #13
Gaerek

IWB holster? Concealment Solutions Black Mamba. It's a crossbreed hybrid style, but much higher quality for about , the same price. Great customer service and the most comfortable IWB holster I've ever used.

http://www.concealmentsolutions.com/
Old February 14, 2013, 05:42 PM   #14
AH.74

I don't do cheap. I do cost-effective. Paying 70-75 dollars for the same thing offered by smaller guys for 45 isn't cost-effective. I'd rather give the business to someone I know and whose customers report great satisfaction. Ozarks fits that description, hence why I point people his way.