The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 13, 2013, 05:17 PM   #1
AndyWest

Kansas UPS Store won't ship scopes

I had a broken Burris 536 optic that I wanted to return to MidwayUSA, who advises returning through UPS. I packaged it back up and started the shipping procedure at my local UPS store. When the guy asked me what the package was, I answered "rifle scope". He immediately stopped and told me they couldn't ship anything "gun-related" and that it would have to go through a FFL or their regional center. He gave me a printed map to said center and I went on my way. There I had no problems. I used a computer to complete the process and the package is on its way.

UPS staff was friendly and helpful within their internal regulations, but I thought this was odd. A metal tube and a couple lenses are apparently too dangerous to accept at a local UPS store... Weird?
Old February 13, 2013, 05:24 PM   #2
Technosavant

Sounds more like the individual UPS store (they're run by franchisees) either has very restrictive rules or the particular employee doesn't know the actual rules.

I once shipped a holster via a UPS store and I had to convince the teenage girl behind the desk that a leather holster is OK to ship.
Old February 13, 2013, 05:26 PM   #3
Willie Sutton

"A telescope being returned to the manufacturer for repair".

or

"None of your business"

Can't people learn to think before blurting out the first concious thought that comes to them?

Willie

Old February 13, 2013, 05:34 PM   #4
kahrguy

Go to another mail box store that deals with ups and mail your "optics", like a telescope. No problems. Or go to the USPS, get a box and ship it. Some of these people are just stupid. Our UPS mail stores will ship anything I think.
Old February 13, 2013, 05:38 PM   #5
AH.74

Quote:
When the guy asked me what the package was

Why did he ask, because it was going to Midway? None of his business and he was out of line for asking. I would have told him it wasn't his concern, and asked for the manager if he gave me any trouble.
Old February 13, 2013, 05:42 PM   #6
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
UPS staff was friendly and helpful within their internal regulations, but I thought this was odd.
This appears to be at least a policy guideline among UPS stores. The one nearest to me won't ship holsters, either.
Old February 13, 2013, 05:51 PM   #7
thedudeabides

I had a UPS store employee here in Central FL tell me that it's against the law to ship weapons, weapons components, and accessories except from FFL to FFL, and I could call the ATF if I had any questions.

I take my complete GUNS (receivers and all) to the UPS depot or ship then USPS through a gun shop (it's cheaper).

Slides, magazines, grips, etc. are "machine parts."

A scope would be "optics or a lens."
Old February 13, 2013, 05:54 PM   #8
TATER

This is an example of the common sense defined by the irrational.
Much like the begging of tolerance by the intolerant…
Old February 13, 2013, 06:05 PM   #9
lcpiper

I am that other kind of pain that says, "really? Show me in writing".
Old February 13, 2013, 06:06 PM   #10
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I had a UPS store employee here in Central FL tell me that it's against the law to ship weapons, weapons components, and accessories except from FFL to FFL, and I could call the ATF if I had any questions.
I've spoken to the owner of the one nearby, and he's acknowledged that it breaks no law to ship unregistered parts. They know the law, they just choose to enforce a policy that's more restrictive.

Free market. They can do that if they want.
Old February 13, 2013, 06:09 PM   #11
thedudeabides

...and you're more than in your legal rights to give a vague description of what's in the box if it's nothing illegal.
Old February 13, 2013, 06:22 PM   #12
HiBC

As has been said,the UPS store is a franchise that provides another station to do UPS business,but it is not UPS itself.

I have had my issues with these places,and I came up with a simple solution:I drive to the actual UPS distribution center.No problem.I recently walked in with a 1903A3 receiver,unboxed.I told the man"This is a firearm receiver.I need to send it to an ffl.As you can see,it is on a safe condition.He boxed it,shipped it,no problem.
Old February 13, 2013, 06:52 PM   #13
Rmart30

Quote:
I drive to the actual UPS distribution center.No problem
X2 , I had a deal with a UPS store a few years back on a damaged item I shipped. It was a nightmare that never got resolved to my knowledge. (the buyer got a attorney on them)

And as someone else said... never say Gun unless its a complete firearm your shipping.... Its a machine part if its just a slide, barrel, trigger group etc ..

http://www.gunbanobama.com <---MUST READ
Old February 13, 2013, 07:21 PM   #14
dogtown tom

If it ain't a WalMart clerk its a UPS clerk.....

Why in this day of computers and the internet does anyone not take advantage of online shipping labels?

UPS.com is easy to use and you'll never have anyone ask "what is it?"

$20 transfers ($10 for CHL, active military,police,fire or schoolteachers)
Old February 13, 2013, 07:50 PM   #15
UtopiaTexasG19

Rifle Scope = Binoculars for shipping.
Old February 13, 2013, 09:20 PM   #16
SycoPath

40+ years ago there was a guy in my squadron that was sending rifles and pistols home from a big NATO base (they were really cheap there) in Naples, Italy whenever we were there. He would buy them then bring them back to our carrier and wrap them very securely and mail them from the ship. We asked him how he got away with sending guns through the mail. He said when they asked him to label the box with the contents, he would put "toy guns for my little brother" on the label. He never had a problem.
Old February 13, 2013, 10:03 PM   #17
wet

I make a big effort to not give any money or buisness to pepole or buisnesses whos policys I find offinsive.
Old February 13, 2013, 10:25 PM   #18
dogtown tom

Quote:
SycoPath 40+ years ago there was a guy in my squadron that was sending rifles and pistols home from a big NATO base (they were really cheap there) in Naples, Italy whenever we were there. He would buy them then bring them back to our carrier and wrap them very securely and mail them from the ship. We asked him how he got away with sending guns through the mail. He said when they asked him to label the box with the contents, he would put "toy guns for my little brother" on the label. He never had a problem.
46 years ago that was completely legal.
The good times ended in 1968.

Old February 14, 2013, 12:01 AM   #19
mrbatchelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtown tom View Post
Why in this day of computers and the internet does anyone not take advantage of online shipping labels?

But if it really is a regulated part, like the receiver mentioned above, then you have to tell them or break the law.

Why that's a law we can argue about until the cows come home.
Old February 14, 2013, 12:04 AM   #20
oldgunsmith

UPS will ship reloading dies and brass if I tell them it's threaded machine dies and casings. No haz-mat.
Old February 14, 2013, 12:40 AM   #21
FrankenMauser

UPS will ship any 'gun related' item you want.
UPS Stores are franchise operations, though. They have additional rules, restrictions, and idiotic policies they can choose to enforce.

The UPS Stores near me won't ship anything that even remotely resembles a firearm-related item, unless they can inspect the package's contents.

However... I've shipped a few barrels and a scope through one of them, by simply telling them it's an expensive, delicate item that needs to be inspected by engineers.
"What is it?"
-"A gyroscopically-stabilizing high pressure metal tube."
"Gyro-scraba-what? What does that mean?
-"It spins the stuff going through the tube at about 225,000 rpm, and has an operating pressure of up to 70k psi."
"Oh..."

"So, what's in the box?"
-"A multi-plane, single-ocular magnification instrument."
"Is that like a camera lens?"
-"Yes, quite similar."
Old February 14, 2013, 02:50 PM   #22
noelf2

Quote:
"So, what's in the box?"
-"A multi-plane, single-ocular magnification instrument."
"Is that like a camera lens?"
-"Yes, quite similar."
- "But it's for an AR15 assault weapon with a .458 SOCOM upper, oops, dadgummit."
Old February 14, 2013, 03:38 PM   #23
dogtown tom

Quote:
mrbatchelor
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtown tom

But if it really is a regulated part, like the receiver mentioned above, then you have to tell them or break the law.

Why that's a law we can argue about until the cows come home.
Don't misconstrue my post.....it was in reference to the OP shipping a SCOPE, not a firearm. He and others in this thread could have avoided all the drama by using the carriers website to pay and print a shipping label. As the scope isn't a firearm neither UPS or FedEx require notification.

No law requires notification if you are shipping a firearm to a licensed dealer or manufacturer. UPS & FedEx policies require it, but no Federal law does.

Federal law only requires notification to the carrier if you are shipping interstate to a nonlicensee......which is a felony itself(with only a couple of exceptions: shipping to yourself and the return of a repaired or replacement firearm from a manufacturer or gunsmith)

Last edited by dogtown tom; February 14, 2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old February 14, 2013, 10:05 PM   #24
Jeremiah/Az

I had to send a Ruger shotgun back to the factory. The UPS store refused to send it. I called UPS office to ask their policy on shipping guns. They said to tell them where I lived & they would come pick it up. The next day they were here with a return label already printed out.
Old February 14, 2013, 11:38 PM   #25
Texshooter

For gosh sakes

UPS discriminates against the freaking Boy Scouts of America.

What makes someone think they won't spit on the 2nd?