The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 13, 2013, 12:01 AM   #1
BarryLee

International Use of the .40 S&W

I was reading a Tom Clancy book earlier and it referenced Russian Spetsnaz units utilizing handguns chambered in the .40 S&W caliber. Specifically they were said to be using the Varjag MP-445 as their sidearm. A brief check on Google does seem to indicate that it is possible that they would use this weapon.

So, while I realize this was a work of fiction I was just a little surprised that a non-US based military or Police organization might use the .40 S&W for a sidearm. So, just out of curiosity are there any other organizations outside the US using this round?
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 13, 2013, 01:25 AM   #2
C7AR15

The 40 in Canada

The Vancouver Police Dept use a Sig in .40 ( they recently switched over from the Berreta )

Also the Metro Vancouver Transit police use Glocks in the .40

PS: the R.C.M.P. use a Smith and wesson in 9mm --DA only