The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 4, 2013, 10:03 PM   #1
Constantine

Night sights: XS big dot or Trijicon HDs?

I have all trijicons and do well with them. I really like the XS big dot and want to give them a try on my Glock 19. Should I venture off into the unknown? Which I've had success in doing lately. Or stick to the same thing?

Main question...is there any "getting used to" among the two?

Example my old P220 is the closest thing that can relate to the XS and I'm just fine transitioning between that and others.
Old March 4, 2013, 10:58 PM   #2
TunnelRat

I really like the HD night sights. I think they're the best of both worlds, but it's up to you.
Old March 4, 2013, 10:58 PM   #3
allaroundhunter

Re: Night sights: XS big dot or Trijicon HDs?

They are really apples and oranges. Your P220 is actually probably not too close to the XS sights. The XS sights do not have a notch cut out of the rear sight, it is just a slight 'v' shape that is constant from the edge of the sight. It is much easier for me to be precise with most any sight besides the XS, but the XS is still a good defensive sight where precision is not as important as quick sight acquisition.

If you want to branch off, go for it. I personally prefer to have just a front night sight on my defensive guns, but I would rather have a notched rear sight to go with it that what the XS uses.
Old March 4, 2013, 11:08 PM   #4
BleedinPurple

ive got big dots on my ppq and i like them...havent put nearly the rounds through it as i did my regular walther sights...they are real bright and i think line up real nicely for anything inside 25 yds...

and if i gotta shoot something farther than 25 im probably not using my ppq anyhow...i like em but seems most people dont
Old March 4, 2013, 11:16 PM   #5
Constantine

hmmm...I have the HD's on the Glock 21sf...Like them a lot on that gun.

I just don't want to throw on the XS sights, cause I know they're pretty big. Both types. The big dot or regular. Then just have them removed to what I knew I'd already tried and liked.

I wanna know what people who have XS sights, think of them.

If not I'll just stick to what I know. HD's
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old March 5, 2013, 12:18 AM   #6
eman

I have the XS on my 3" 1911 with the standard front dot and am very happy with them.
Old March 5, 2013, 01:10 AM   #7
Biner

I've not used any of the sights mentioned so far, but I've been real happy with the Truglo TFO sights on my both of my M&Ps. Nice and bright, night or day. One of my P226s (the .40) is the Equinox model, and it also has a TFO for the front sight and regular tritium sights in the rear. The TFO is noticeably brighter, especially in daylight.
Old March 5, 2013, 07:43 AM   #8
iblong

I would think the big dots would be quick for close in situations but I prefer a post and notch system,I have the HD's on several and realy like them.
I personally try to keep my sighting systems fairly similar to each other, but thats just me.
Old March 5, 2013, 08:03 AM   #9
TacticalDefense1911

If your other guns are set up with HD's why change? If you don't like the HD's then by all means try something else but if you just want a change for changes sake I don't understand that. The XS sights will take some getting use to; different lengths of time for different people as one could expect. I still am not use to Kahr's factory sight configuration which is very similar to the XS system.
Old March 5, 2013, 08:11 AM   #10
Dan-O

I have XS Big Dots on a couple of my Glocks that I both carry and shoot in IDPA. I've been more than happy with them.
Old March 5, 2013, 08:45 PM   #11
BGutzman

I haven't seen the XS but I just got my HDs and am dropping the 460 off at the gun smith tomorrow to have them installed... All I can say from the dark room test is the HD's seem to be spot on and I like the orange front post a lot more than I thought I would!
Old March 6, 2013, 08:10 AM   #12
mes228

Sights

I tried the Big Dots on my carry pistol and disliked them. They may be a smidgen "quicker" but are not precision enough for my likes. Also at the distance they may be "faster" I would be "point shooting" anyway. As an aside I have had many types of "Night Sights" and disliked them. However, when I removed the Big Dots I had a set of new Trijicon sights installed. I really really like these (and I suspect I've had 10-20 sets I disliked). These are labeled "H3 09" on the top of the front blade. They seem several hundred percent brighter.Almost "alien" space craft bright, very blue white, they are great day and night.I currently own two other pistols that Have Trijicon's that I dislike. I have no idea when they went to this type - but it's great. If I change out any sights I'd put these on in a minute. The only reason I don't is the expense.
Old March 6, 2013, 10:06 AM   #13
Gaerek

I thought big dots were stupid until I tried them. They're very intuitive, and very quick. I can shoot more accurately with a 3 dot set up or something like the HDs. But the Big Dot is noticibly quicker, if you're ok with sacrificing some accuracy.
Old March 6, 2013, 01:11 PM   #14
bigarm

I have them on a Colt CCO and love them for a defensive handgun.
Old March 6, 2013, 08:56 PM   #15
BGutzman

I will post pics when it comes out the shop.
Old March 6, 2013, 11:30 PM   #16
BleedinPurple

i think when i can finally find a shield 9mm to buy im going to put big dots on them pretty quickly
Old March 7, 2013, 12:12 AM   #17
seeker073180

I understand what the OP is going through. My 226 was my first handgun and I got very used to the "Dot the i" sights. I have other guns now and I like three dot sights the least (XDm and CZ pcr); even less than my Ruger mk II all black sights. There's just something about lining them up vertically and spacing the front evenly that doesn't work for me.

However, I recently switched out my SIGs sights for green/green TFOs. Pretty nice at the range: bright in well lit conditions and bright at night. They work reasonably at 7-10 yards. I still wish there were tritium bar and dot sights. The exposed fiber optics don't bother me as the 226 is a range queen and backup home. I'm more likely to grab my XDm 45. For that I think I'm going to go with Trijicon orange/green HDs and see if the contrast helps. I have considered the XS sights.... Maybe one day.
Old March 7, 2013, 01:22 PM   #18
454 Super Redhawk

I have the XS big dot site on a Glock 21SF and love them.
Old March 7, 2013, 01:28 PM   #19
Constantine

How are these sights for shooting farther than 7-15 yards though? I know that I probably won't be. But can you guarantee me that 100%?

I like to have all options loaded as best as possible...I don't see why I would ever want to cripple myself in any way.

Right now I'm leaning more towards the HD's again.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium. Ímperet ílli Déus, súpplices deprecámur: tuque, prínceps milítiæ cæléstis, Sátanam aliósque spíritus malígnos, qui ad perditiónem animárum pervagántur in múndo, divína virtúte, in inférnum detrúde. Ámen
Old March 7, 2013, 01:49 PM   #20
comn-cents

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY5RURFEGd8

I like them, just like anything else practice grasshoper.
Old March 7, 2013, 02:03 PM   #21
Constantine

Yes yes...I saw that a while back.

Yes yes..practice makes perfect.

My dilemma is changing from what I already know to what I don't know.

I do want to try them out. I just want to see if anyone out there has had an easy transition to and from, or whatever the case may be.

For example, the "grip angle" of Glock..never noticed a difference. Range days I can shoot my 1911's, SIG's, and Glock's and not notice a change in anything.

So I'm assuming I'll be fine with these even though I mainly have a 3-dot system on most of my guns. I mainly look at the front sight anyways, which is why I was turned on to these. But that big ol' golf ball front sight doesn't seem to be...I don't know..Practical.

I'm trying to avoid what I've always done. Buy something, not like it, sell it for less, lose money. I have a knack for that lately and I've lost a lot already.

No one around me that I know personally has them for me to try them out..

Anybody wanna send me their gun?
Old March 7, 2013, 02:27 PM   #22
comn-cents

Constantine "Yes yes...I saw that a while back."

yes yes O sorry didn't remember you see that, O ya how could I

Constantine "Yes yes..practice makes perfect."

yes yes Exactly!
Old March 7, 2013, 02:37 PM   #23
breakingcontact

I'm in the sights market as well.

Interested in both options.
Old March 7, 2013, 02:39 PM   #24
Constantine

Me too...I'm honestly just thinking about getting them and calling it a day. If I don't like them on the G19...I'll put them on the G17, since it's factory.