The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 12, 2013, 09:37 PM   #1
Tmitch

Carbide Reloading Dies

I'm getting back into reloading after 20 years and everything is certainly different! I've decided on a Redding Boss II for my press. Now I'll need a little help on which brand of carbide dies to purchase. I load only; 44 Mag and 45 Auto Rim and I'll use both cast and plated bullets.
Terry Mitchell
Danville, IL.
Old February 12, 2013, 09:47 PM   #2
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Any of your name brand dies will work just fine for plinking and such. I've found the cheaper Lee works just as good as the higher end Redding dies. I prefer Redding myself. But that's my personal preference.

Lyman, Redding, RCBS, Lee, etc. should serve you well...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old February 12, 2013, 09:47 PM   #3
Kevin Rohrer

Anything will be just fine: Dillon, RCBS, Forster, Hornady, CH/4D, whatever.

"Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery...all else is twaddle!" --Admiral Sir John Fisher, RN
Old February 12, 2013, 09:54 PM   #4
GeauxTide

Lee will be fine in a pistol round.
Old February 12, 2013, 10:00 PM   #5
AL45

I have loaded about 1200 .45 Colt with a Lee with no problems.
Old February 13, 2013, 12:27 AM   #6
Lost Sheep

What settled you on the Redding press?

With all the endorsements of Lee gear, I hate to pile on, but if you open up the entire range of press makers I think the Lee Classic Turret makes a viable choice if you don't need more than 4 die stations per caliber.

The Lee Turret's disks are only about $13 each and you can have all your dies for one caliber mounted in a single gang.

The Redding may have more leverage, but the Lee is no slouch. For handgun rounds an all but the most robust rifle cartridges the Lee Classic Turret is just fine.

I used to load (since 1975) on an RCBS Rockchucker and two Lee Pro-1000 progressives. I have semi-retired the Rockchucker and traded off the Pro-1000s and set up my perfect loading bench with the best gear (for my needs) money could buy.

I did a lot of research.

After all that, almost everything but the calipers and the scale are Lee brand. Not because of any sort of brand loyalty, but because there is no better auto-indexing turret press currently made than the Lee Classic Turret (of course, it is the only one other than the somewhat inferior Lee Deluxe turret) and the Lee Powder-Through die works so well with it.

Good shopping.

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; February 13, 2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old February 13, 2013, 08:52 AM   #7
Travelin' Man

I've had dies from RCBS, Lee, and now Dillon and I've found that I like the features of the Dillon dies best as far as cleaning and maintenance of the dies goes. I actually lent my .44 mag RCBS dies to a buddy a few years ago and when he kept delaying returning them I spent the money and got a new set of Dillon dies and I am extremely happy with them. The ability to take apart the seating and crimping dies (Dillon manufactures ALL their dies in 3 die sets; resizing, seating, and crimping) to clean them of residue without having to take them out of the tool head and changing their settings makes things much easier and I am all about easy!

BTW, I use a Dillon XL650 for my high volume loading, RCBS Rock Chucker for my precision rifle loading (7mm Rem Mag and such).