The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 11, 2013, 11:58 AM   #1
Skans

Review of STI LS40

I finally had the chance to shoot my STI LS40 this weekend. It is not a new gun, I purchased it used. First, let me say that the accuracy was amazing. I really think this could be a great gun.

What wasn't so amazing were two things:

1) I experienced several failure to feeds. At first I thought this was because the ammo was flat-nosed, copper jacketed. That's all the range had, so that's what I shot. I would have liked to have compared it to some round-nosed ammo. Also, the gun could probably have used a tad more lube.

2) The bigger problem is that the safety kept popping partially up on my every time I fired. When I remembered to knock it down (after each round fired) the gun became fairly reliable. Apparently, my hand was rubbing against the safety and the force of the recoil was causing me to knock that safety up. I'm not quite sure how to cure this - if anyone has any thoughts, I'm open to suggestions. The gun is supposed to take standard 1911 controls, so my first thought is to replace the safety, spring and plunger.
Old February 11, 2013, 06:59 PM   #2
smee78

It may also be the grips not letting the safety seat all the way down. Are they orginal to the gun?
Old February 12, 2013, 08:07 AM   #3
Skans

The grips are original to the gun; the safety lever is not, and that could be the problem.
Old February 13, 2013, 05:03 PM   #4
RickB

The standard way to hold a 1911-style pistol is with the thumb of the firing hand riding the safety lever. Especially on such a small gun, you want your hand as high as possible to help counter recoil.
I'm a lefty, but you get the idea.

Old February 14, 2013, 10:31 AM   #5
Skans

Rick, I never realized that the way I was holding the gun could be the problem - right thumb was definitely under the safety lever, and given that this is such a small gun, I kept my other thumb away from the safety and slide.
Old February 14, 2013, 12:02 PM   #6
RickB

Both left- and right-handed shooters can have issues with fouling the slide stop when using the "two thumbs forward" grip; righties preventing it from activating, and lefties pushing it out of the frame.
My weak-hand thumb isn't really contributing anything, just sort of floating along the frame, but some people do like to apply inward pressure.